Freestyle dining vs. traditional -- pros and cons

gpmtrixie

I am newbie to cruising and haven't even decided for sure whether we're going on one. But I see that certain lines have freestyle dining rather than traditional where there are set seating times. I think we would rather be less restrictive on dinner times, esp. since we would be with our kids (2 tweeners). I also don't think I want to get all dolled up for formal dining. I'd like to hear others' thoughts on why you like one way vs. the other.

Most lines have set dining times, particularly for dinner. Princess offers that option, but most guests will have "personal choice" dining, enjoying meals when and where they want. NCL offers only "Freestyle" dining.

We did personal choice on our last cruise and absolutely loved it. The flexbility was awesome and because the evening entertainment times varied, we could enjoy dinner when it was convenient for us. We missed getting to know our regular dinner companions, but we met more people.

But there is a comfort factor and some service benefit to regular, set dining times. I love having the same waiter every night and having him / her learn and remember our preferences...makes us feel special. We have no decisions to make and no planning to do because dinner is always at the same time. Also shows are arranged around the dinner times, so you know you won't miss anything.

It's a matter of personal preference. It's a tough choice for me, but if I have to choose, I think I'd take regular, set dining times.

For us, the availability of open seating dinner is a requirement. I won't go on a cruise if I have to eat at the same table with the same people at the same time every evening. Early is too early and late is too late, and the same time doesn't work every night.

If we've been on shore until 5, we want to relax in the hot tub, maybe take a nap, shower and have a later dinner at 8:30. If we have a really early morning the next day, we may eat earlier at 7:00. We don't like being regimented to one time.

I don't care if the waiter gets to know me--even with traditional dining, that doesn't always happen. If I find a waiter I really like, I can always request his section.

Our favorite cruise line is Oceania, where all the restaurants are open seating.

I very much prefer Freestyle cruising, as offered by NCL. I don't like fixed dining times with assigned tables and tablemates. In addition, I love NCL's "resort casual" dress code. No need to dress up unless I want to.

Another vote for NCL's freestyle cruising here. I'd always thought I wouldn't like cruising -- but the primary factors that I objected to were being seated at a table with strangers, having to dress in a formal dress (don't even own one) and having a set dining schedule. Our first cruise on NCL hooked me -- their freestyle does away with all my pre-cruise complaints. Especially if you're traveling with a family, I think it's the only way to go.

Yes freestyle is addicting.... !!!!!!

pros-- no set time... so if you are tired after a port you can take a nap and eat when you want , not having to worry about getting ready....!!

kids- easier with kids.. no dressing up.. no set times etc etc...

we really were hesitant about NCL, but now we are hooked and i dont think we would ever cruise traditionally again...

the choices are endless.. and when we were on the star in jan, it was the most relaxing vac we have had,, and optional formal !!!!!! that was awesome, I HATE DRESSING up,,

some people like that concept of it , and eating at the same table etc.. .but like i said ,, try freestyle you will love it !!!!!!

happy cruising

melissa

I like Traditional. I like to know when we are going to eat and have the same table and waiter every night.

I haven't done Free Style or Personal Choice. I really don't like the idea of waiting around with a beeper. I don't know about Free Style but I have asked many times about PC and most of the time I get the answser, that yes you are going to get a beeper unless you eat very late or very early. To me this negates the "Personal Choice". You can't really eat when you want.

Most lines have set dining times, particularly for dinner. Princess offers that option, but most guests will have "personal choice" dining, enjoying meals when and where they want. NCL offers only "Freestyle" dining.

We did personal choice on our last cruise and absolutely loved it. The flexbility was awesome and because the evening entertainment times varied, we could enjoy dinner when it was convenient for us. We missed getting to know our regular dinner companions, but we met more people.

But there is a comfort factor and some service benefit to regular, set dining times. I love having the same waiter every night and having him / her learn and remember our preferences...makes us feel special. We have no decisions to make and no planning to do because dinner is always at the same time. Also shows are arranged around the dinner times, so you know you won't miss anything.

It's a matter of personal preference. It's a tough choice for me, but if I have to choose, I think I'd take regular, set dining times.

gotta loves-this question is for you-I read on the Princess board you have to make reservations for dinner every night-I thought it was -go to dinner when you please-so could you explain that to me. We are on the CP this fall and picked personal choice dinning-so I want to be sure I know what to do.

gotta loves-this question is for you-I read on the Princess board you have to make reservations for dinner every night-I thought it was -go to dinner when you please-so could you explain that to me. We are on the CP this fall and picked personal choice dinning-so I want to be sure I know what to do.

We never made reservations. We chose to have dinner early or late, so we also never waited for a table. We did meet some folks who made reservations in the regular dining room so they could have the same waiter and same time every evening. And you also can make reservations in the surcharge restaurants, if you wish. (We didn't).

We really loved Movies Under the Stars and actually had dinner on the Lido Deck a couple times, planned around a particular movie.

I loved the Caribbean Princess and hope you do, too!

We never made reservations. We chose to have dinner early or late, so we also never waited for a table. We did meet some folks who made reservations in the regular dining room so they could have the same waiter and same time every evening. And you also can make reservations in the surcharge restaurants, if you wish. (We didn't).

We really loved Movies Under the Stars and actually had dinner on the Lido Deck a couple times, planned around a particular movie.

I loved the Caribbean Princess and hope you do, too!

Sounds like fun! I also heard there was a casual caribbean style restuarant that was really good-maybe we will do that on one of the movie nights!

I have heard great things about CB-the only negative thing I heard was the broadway style show lounge was too crowded-but maybe I will opt for the movie under the stars instead most nights.

I am not a fan of the super big ships and I was a little nervous about booking this ship-but we found a super deal on a balcony and the older, smaller ships seem to only have balconies if you book a mini-suite which is too expensive for us.

On the Princess board I read though that that was the only place it really seemed crowded-so I figured I could deal with that-if not-I guess I will just be spending lots of time on my balcony!

We like both! We can "go with the flow" and be at a certain table at a certain time and enjoy the week with the same people and servers. We have done Freestyle once and enjoyed it very much. The specialty dining rooms were great, some of the best food we've ever had on a cruise.

We both enjoyed not hauling along the formal wear on our one NCL cruise, we have not cruised Princess yet (maybe someday!). We do like to look nice, cleaned up and wearing resort casual wear. We actually didn't look that far off from the 50% or so that were dressed formally. I wore a dress and my husband wore a silk shirt and nice slacks. The best part about it was, we went to one of the specialty restaurants that night, enjoyed a marvelous dinner, walking through the lobby we saw some of the same people still waiting in line for photos. There was also quite a bit of a wait for the main dining room on formal night, we avoided that as well.

A Freestyle cruise sounds perfect for a family with teens, or pre-teens. It's a chore getting everyone ready by a certain time, so it relieves that pressure.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise. BTW, I agree early seating is way too early, even when our kids were young, we chose the later seating. Early seating seems to take so much away from the day, you have to stop to get ready.

Sounds like fun! I also heard there was a casual caribbean style restuarant that was really good-maybe we will do that on one of the movie nights!

I have heard great things about CB-the only negative thing I heard was the broadway style show lounge was too crowded-but maybe I will opt for the movie under the stars instead most nights.

I am not a fan of the super big ships and I was a little nervous about booking this ship-but we found a super deal on a balcony and the older, smaller ships seem to only have balconies if you book a mini-suite which is too expensive for us.

On the Princess board I read though that that was the only place it really seemed crowded-so I figured I could deal with that-if not-I guess I will just be spending lots of time on my balcony!

The casual dining venue you mentioned is the "Caribe Cafe" (or Cafe Caribe...not sure). We loved it! It's aft of the Horizon Court and tables are set with linen, flatware and goblets for evening. You do go through the buffet for dinner, but waitservice brings water, wine, etc.

The show lounge is too crowded (especially for the early show). But I'd just get there early so you don't miss out. We managed to do the show and movie several nights. We liked the seats on the "ledge" just where the lower level steps up the first time; we were in the center, on the ledge every evening and felt like the show was just for us. We did have to arrive at least 30 minutes early, but ordered a drink and chatted with the other ledge-sitters.

I'm also not into super-big ships and prefer the 80K to 90K tons with about 2,000 passengers. That range tends to maximize the public area without having embarkation / debarkation issues. But we really did enjoy the Caribbean Princess.

The casual dining venue you mentioned is the "Caribe Cafe" (or Cafe Caribe...not sure). We loved it! It's aft of the Horizon Court and tables are set with linen, flatware and goblets for evening. You do go through the buffet for dinner, but waitservice brings water, wine, etc.

The show lounge is too crowded (especially for the early show). But I'd just get there early so you don't miss out. We managed to do the show and movie several nights. We liked the seats on the "ledge" just where the lower level steps up the first time; we were in the center, on the ledge every evening and felt like the show was just for us. We did have to arrive at least 30 minutes early, but ordered a drink and chatted with the other ledge-sitters.

I'm also not into super-big ships and prefer the 80K to 90K tons with about 2,000 passengers. That range tends to maximize the public area without having embarkation / debarkation issues. But we really did enjoy the Caribbean Princess.

I absolutley loved the Zenith. Great food and some neat little lounges and only 1300 passengers but no balconies- as she is an older smaller ship-but I also like to try out differant things-I am no cruiseline loyalist-the price for CP sold me on it-I am sure i will again go on an older smaller ship and just book either an inside cabin or possibly an oceanview.

I do want to stay away from Carnival and Royal Caribbean-for the most part-though even that is not written in stone.I have friends that like Carnival and if we cruise together they choose the ship sometimes. Also I have been told RCCL radience class ships are much nicer then the voyager class, not congested, the food much better, etc. so I may cruise one of them and I did love the good ole sovereign of the Seas enough to cruise her twice.

I was on RCCL Mariner of the Seas last year-and it was so congested-my fear for CP-but several I posted to had been on both ships and they did say CP was not as congested as MOS except for the show lounge-but overall a much nicer cruising experience. The Lido not as congested and the food was superior in the main dinningroom etc. so those posts to me and the price is what sold me!

Once again we are beating a dead horse:p This suject is is very subjective, it's like is the food good or bad on certian lines. Me personaly I like Traditoanl I like having the same waiter and he/she knowing what I like and what I do not like. I also enjoy getting dressed up for formal night. So like I said everyone as opions on this subject and quality of food.

Once again we are beating a dead horse:p This suject is is very subjective, it's like is the food good or bad on certian lines. Me personaly I like Traditoanl I like having the same waiter and he/she knowing what I like and what I do not like. I also enjoy getting dressed up for formal night. So like I said everyone as opions on this subject and quality of food.

That's why the OP asked for opinions. I don't know why you think it is a dead horse, I haven't seen this come up that much on the Ask a Cruise Question board, perhaps on the NCL board, I don't go there often. If you don't like the discussion, you certainly don't have to include yourself.

That's why the OP asked for opinions. I don't know why you think it is a dead horse, I haven't seen this come up that much on the Ask a Cruise Question board, perhaps on the NCL board, I don't go there often. If you don't like the discussion, you certainly don't have to include yourself.

Amen!

I don't think it's a dead horse at all. While I don't think those with opinions are likely to change their minds, I DO think that newbies (and those who are unsure) could very well benefit from hearing WHY people have a preference for either traditional or Freestyle cruising.

Yes, to me this is not beating a dead horse. I am an open-minded newbie. At first blush, freestyle sounds like it would be the best for me and my family, but I'm interested not just in what different people prefer, but WHY...if some of those reasons for preferring traditional make good sense to me, something I didn't think about initially, I might change my opinion. That's what great about these boards and I appreciate all the thoughtful responses.

For us it depends on the cruise. We prefer to eat when we want, but on a cruise that's not port intensive, traditional seating also works. Itinerary is always our first consideration, then ship. Food quality is also important to us, that's a very subjective area though. To me, I'd rather have traditional seating and good food than freestyle/personal choice and just ok food. Others will feel differently. The wonderful thing about cruising is that there are so many choices for so many tastes.

Let me just say I'm sorry to all on this thread..Over on the HAL boards this topic is a dead horse that is brought out every now and then. Just like the Dress code on HAL. So once again I am sorry the person asked for an opinion and I started it off wrong:o

We had personal choice dining on the Caribbean Princess and truly enjoyed it. On the first night we just showed up and were promptly seated and a table by ourselves (our choice). We liked our servers so much that we called and got a standing dinner reservation for the remainder of the cruise with them.

Let me just say I'm sorry to all on this thread..Over on the HAL boards this topic is a dead horse that is brought out every now and then. Just like the Dress code on HAL. So once again I am sorry the person asked for an opinion and I started it off wrong:o

Hey Mike, no problem. You did give your reasons why you prefer traditional, so I learned something from your post. Now, about that dress code on HAL.....Just kidding.:rolleyes:

Never thought I would say it but I am hooked on Freestyle dining! I love to dress up and that still is an option on NCL but I prefer having the choice of places and times to dine. Also, and I'm sure you won't see this reason too much, I have a perfume allergy and one of our past cruises was miserable due to my tablemates "elaborate" use of Chanel #5 ( and 6-7-and 8!) We did ask to be moved and was told I would have to take the late seating. I really got to know the buffet choices that week. When you "freestyle" you also get totally different genres of food. Japanese, french, steakhouse, Tex-Mex, etc. We have tried PC on the CB but it is not in the same catagory as freestyle.

When you "freestyle" you also get totally different genres of food. Japanese, french, steakhouse, Tex-Mex, etc. We have tried PC on the CB but it is not in the same catagory as freestyle.

Just to clarify for those not all that familiar with NCL: on the newer ships (i.e., Jewel, Dawn, Star, Spirit, Pride of America), there is a wide range of cuisines available. That isn't quite the case with the older, smaller ships that weren't designed with Freestyle dining in mind (i.e., Wind, Dream, Crown). On the smaller ships, there are usually only two specialty restaurants in addition to the main dining rooms.

Archived