RCI out of Norfolk

DH/I vacationed in VA beach during mid-March and we spent some time in Norfolk (great city). We were checking out the future cruise terminal and it looks wonderful. Congrats to those in VA for obtaining a port near your home. Whatever problems existed with the old terminal I sure hope all of it will be resolved.

Enjoy your new port and future cruises!

My wife and I with friends sailed out of Norfolk last June on the Horizon to Bermuda and had the best time of our lives!!! The new terminal will make access more efficient as the City of Norfolk accommodates RCCL with additional transportation and parking. I for one will jump onboard the Empress and sail again to Bermuda. Nothing better than driving 45 minutes versus 16 hours for a seven day cruise out of Miami. Even though my plans are for a family vacation to Hawaii next year, maybe a quick trip for two is in the works.

Although I had some sticker shock when the prices came out, I quickly jumped in to reserve on the July 21 5 night cruise. I can't wait to just drive less then an hour to be able to get on a cruise. Norfolk is making progress (slowly) but its being made and I am confident they will be ready.

We live in Virginia Beach (only about 20 minutes from the new terminal) and we can't wait. We always drive or fly to Port Canaveral or Bayonne, so we are very excited about the new terminal. We are used to going on the mega ships, but last year tried the Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda. It was very small and old, but it was still a great cruise. One of our fellow cruisers who had been to Bermuda 11 times before said the smaller ships are the best way to see Bermuda because you can get to the better ports without having to tender in. Also, according to our local newspaper, the cruises were going to alternate between Philly and Norfolk. We haven't checked out the prices yet, but I guarantee we'll be on one of those cruises if I get my way! :rolleyes:

Tatonka, the website has been really screwy with the Norfolk cruises for the past two days. The cruises show, then they disappear, they show, then they disappear. The same thing has happened with our reservation. One time I log in and it's there, the next time it's missing, and so on...

Just keep trying. When they are actually showing you can book.

Cheryl

I went on the site yesterday to look at the prices and they showed 5,6&7 day cruises from Norfolk but everything showed as unavailable. I know Norfolk is going to be a popular port but to sell out a ship for a whole year WOW...LOL OK maybe it is a computer glitch. I would like to know how much they are going to be. The Bermuda runs are always more expensive.

I too live in Virginia Beach, and I couldn't be happier about RCI's arrival in Hampton Roads, VA.

We are huge RCI fans, and I have sailed Empress back when she was the Nordic Empress, and small or not she was like my favorite ship. She's wonderful.

Last year we sailed out of Norfolk for the very first time -- we took the Carnival Triumph. Yes, we had the huge headaches at the temporary terminal, but that will go away.

Our only reservation about booking the Empress is the water... Did any other people sailing out of Norfolk have major choppy seas? I thought it might have been our trip but another couple I talked to had similar experiences. The night we sailed back in the ship would raise up in the air and slam back to the ground... all the glasses and cans and alcohol slid off the bar. It was a mess. Is that normal? Anyone else have such crazy seas? For us the water was like that from Va through SC... then got smooth. Both on the way down and back.

We so want to enjoy the Empress, but my fiance couldn't sleep at night and she's a young woman who will ride the biggest baddest roller coaser 10 times if you let her.

Anyone else have any thoughts???

Wayne

We just returned to Phila on the Empress. Yes, she is smaller - but extremely well maintained. And, the crew was great! If you "need" ice skating and multiple pools . . . you are out of luck. But, the public areas are all well maintained and clean, the entertainment was as good as the bigger ships - and, you only have a couple sea days anyway. I would certainly cruise on her again.

October in Bermuda is, in my opinion, delightful. The water is still warm, warmer than May and June, and although it is not as hot as July and August, it is plenty warm for the beach.

I went on the site yesterday to look at the prices and they showed 5,6&7 day cruises from Norfolk but everything showed as unavailable. I know Norfolk is going to be a popular port but to sell out a ship for a whole year WOW...LOL OK maybe it is a computer glitch. I would like to know how much they are going to be. The Bermuda runs are always more expensive.

They are showing today! As a matter of fact, we were all set to book a Bermuda cruise on the Explorer when I found the Norfolk sailings for the Empress this morning. Better prices for a longer cruise and a port we can drive to! We booked for the April 28th, 2007 cruise in a junior suite for less than an balcony on the Explorer. Guess I'm a cruisin' elf once more!:D

I wasn't able to get prices tonight. I will have to try again tomorrow. I would love to go to Bermuda... and this will be perfect. Glad to see that the prices are not way out there for this departure port. I was worried that they would be sky high.

I had heard at one time the city officials was talking to MSC about getting one of their ships. Now that RCCI is coming I wonder if they are still talking? It would be great if we could get another one here. The more the merrier.

Archived