sneaky way of getting an upgrade

airlink diva

On a lighter note.... I like Grumpy's post #70 about holding HC cabins until the very end and then when everything else is sold, HAL could put them on sale to fill them and I as a PWD might get a cruise at a sale price.!!! :D

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] In October of '04 I booked a handicapped verandah cabin for me, my husband (who has mobility trouble but not in a chair), and our daughter for a New England/Canada cruise in June of '05. At that early date, I was able to request and obtain a HC cabin. We had to fill out a form, but it was not one that required a doctor's endorsement or anything. (Finally...someone who takes you at your word!)
Anyway, my husband's back got worse, and he was put on travel restriction about 60 days from sailing. We would have been in penalty with HAL, but luckily we always get Travel Guard insurance, so his entire cost was refunded. Travel Guard even paid the difference in cost in changing my daughter from the third person in the cabin to the second! I called my TA and told her that we no longer needed the HC cabin, and would be happy to give it up if there was a waiting list or whatever. Never heard anything, so we got the HC cabin. It was not bigger, but had a shower in the tub space (which I actually preferred). There was a little ramp built over the sill out to the verandah. That was really the only difference I could see.
Well, as it turns out, our four tablemates (a very nice lady, her teenage son, her sister and her mother) were just down the hall from us, in a non-HC cabin, which her mother really needed because of not being able to climb over the tub rail easily, but couldn't get. I felt bad about that, and told her mom to come on down to our room with her robe and use our shower anytime. She never did, but the jist of this story is a) I tried to do the right thing by telling my TA the cabin could be turned in, and b) I guess HAL doesn't keep a waiting list.
Moral: If you need a HC cabin, book as early as you can. There are very few on the "S" class ships. I don't believe in the shenanigan described in the first letter. After living with a person with limited mobility, I have a new appreciation for the stress and trials of disabled people. Bless you all for not letting your limitations stand in the way of a nice vacation. I have noticed all HAL personnel VERY accomodating to them, and that makes me proud.
[/FONT]

I wonder why cruiselines ever put HC cabins in the general inventory. With people booking directly on the Internet, it is possible that someone could book a HC cabin without even realizing it. I know we have spent hours searching websites for cruises and studying deck plans, and every once in a while, we get enthused about a cabin which looks larger or has a larger balcony...until I notice a teeny, tiny HC symbol. Also, I've noticed that some of the Internet TAs use deck plans which have no designations on them.

I can see how someone who does not scrutinize deck plans the way we do or who doesn't have much cruise experience could easily request a HC cabin without even realizing it. That's why we have to hope that there is a red flag that comes up with the cruiseline when one of those cabins is requested...I really hope there is, but I wouldn't want to bet money on it.

I think the cruiselines should hold all HC cabins separate from the general inventory...and anyone who wants one should have to contact the cruiseline directly or through a TA and specifically ask for one...and verify that it is needed. If the ship is selling out, then throw them into the general inventory.

There's probably no ideal solution to guarantee that HC cabins will always be used by the people for whom they were designed, but if the cruiselines are going to advertise that they have HC facilities, they should have the decency to monitor their use.

[quote name='Tricia724']...I think the cruiselines should hold all HC cabins separate from the general inventory...and anyone who wants one should have to contact the cruiseline directly or through a TA and specifically ask for one...quote]

At first I thought your idea was great, but then I realized that it would discriminate against the disabled by not allowing them to book online. Could be a legal issue, then. And that's the last thing they want. susana.

[quote name='carol louise']A word to the wise about handicapped parking: while there certainly may be cheats who obtain parking placards fraudulently, please be aware that some disabilities, such as heart and lung diseases, are not immediately obvious, but nevertheless the sufferers cannot walk very far without great difficulty and are entitled to the placard.

...................Carol Louise[/quote]

Thanks for posting that. I was tempted, but didn't. But you are so right. You cannot know someone's disability by looking at them.

HALonlyCruiser, your story upsets me. Clearly you did just as you should and good for you. But it bothers me that HAL was unaware they had someone needing an HC cabin when you offered it back to them. I'm afraid we have a long way to go in being more accommodating to people with disabilities.

Having the cabins available is the right track, but making sure that they are properly utilized is definitely the next important step. And it doesn't hurt if we all help by not trying to get an HC cabin just because it may be a few feet bigger. We all need to do our part and can't always be waiting for the next guy to correct our errors in judgment.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Slightly off-topic also but is has alreday been brought up: disabled person parking. One of my pet peeves is able bodied persons who abuse disabled parking. In my case, I, and/or the officers that work for me, can impact those bad decisions by issuing citations for violations (in California, the penalty is $330 for a one-time offense). Those are my favorite citations (along with fire-lane parking). I've heard all the excuses in the book: "I was only there for a minute" "it's inconvenient to park further away" "it's raining" "I wasn't parked, just stopped", you name it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Several times a year, we run sting operations at major shopping centers where we contact every person that pulls into a DP parking space and require the driver to show us their DMV issued registration for the DP parking placard they have displayed. It has been our experience that the vast majority of those folks are acually disabled in some way, have placards as well as registration cards for them, and have all the right in the world to use those spaces. We get a lot of positive reactions from these individuals, thanking us for the enforcement, and reminding us that they frequently see the abuse. We do find abusers also though during those operations who we will gladly issue the cite to plus we have the right to tow their vehicle away. Some show remorse, some don't (some become upset) and take us to court. Unfortunately as has already been pointed out on this thread, there are "fine" folks everywhere and anywhere who will abuse the system for their own "convenience" and/or personal gain![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks for enforcing in Torrance (although the city enforcement of the required number of handicapped parking spaces for businesses there sucks!). I just wish the police in Redondo Beach were so sensitive and responsive. We recently went to a funeral there and could not get an accessible space (needed due to our lift-van) because police cars were parked in all the handicapped spaces!!

By the way, San Diego now charges over $400 for a violation like this, and we have an RSVP citizens patrol made up of PWD who are empowered to issue these tickets as well.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Splinter, don't want to go completely off-topic but I know businesses in Torrance are required to have a certain amount of DP parking spaces available based on their size (employees, parking lot dimensions, etc.). That part is regulated by the City's Environmental Division. We (the PD) don't get involved in that part - we do the enforcing only. If you know of any specific businesses who look like they are not in compliance, feel free to give me a call on Monday at work @ (310) 618-5566 and I'll contact Environmental for you for f/u (just had a meeting with their inspectors last Tuesday)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Take care![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

No one seems to have mentioned the various degrees of PD - people who are totally confined to a wheel chair head the list - they require a door through which a mechanized wheelchair can pass and sufficient space for the chair to be placed at the side of the bed so that the HP may be slid into bed - they need a shower stall - balcony ramps are also needed - their dining room seating must accommodate the wheelchair. Battery recharging facilities are also necessary. Less handicapped people can usually get into bed but can't make the bathtub, a balcony ramp may also be helpful for them, their wheelchairs are usually narrower and can pass through regular cabin doors, but they have (perhaps limited) walking ability. There are so many variations.

If all requirements are to be met, the PD traveler must book as far ahead as possible - they are so many arrangements that require to be made - an accompanying Nurse maybe; transportation to the airport if flying; hotel accommodation; transfer to the ship; boarding assistance, etc. etc. etc. - it's endless, definitely time consuming and costly.

That all cruise lines do not require validation of the need for handicap accommodation baffles me......they should. Such cabins, I think, should not be on general inventory until perhaps 6 to 8 weeks prior to sailing and only then on condition that, if required, cabin will be relinquished.

As for Handicapped parking stickers - I have one and it's a great blessing - my disability is not immediately obvious but, believe me, it's very real - advanced COPD. I don't 'loan out' my card unless I'm being driven by someone else and then it's sometimes just as easy to have them drop me off at the entrance, park the car and join me. I'm more than capable of waiting to be picked up! It is not used on a whim. I'm no paragon of virtue, my halo's somewhat tarnished with age ;), and if there's a regular parking spot right next to the HP spot I'll park in it and hide my sticker - there's always someone whose need is greater than mine.

I need wheelchair assistance at todays airports - Airlines are now asking for a reason - and rightly so! I take along my HP car plate (the plastic version). These 'plates' are not that easily obtained - took me several months to get mine and my Physician can be called to task if he 'fudged' information as to cause. The expiry date is indicated - don't know yet but I may have to produce it when I renew my driver's license.

Someone mentioned the saying 'There, but for the grace of God go I" - there’s another one that might be kept in mind "Mocking is catching!"

Sorry to be long winded :)

I had a friend who got a handicapped parking placard from a doctor friend. Herself, her husband and three teenagers are all AB. She got it because she just wanted to be able to park close to stores etc. She also uses it on cruises to get priority boarding. I don't know about her cabin choice on the cruises, but I can take a guess. :(
I flew to visit her once and found this all out. She told me she was having a hard time parking in the handicapped spaces because of comments and reactions from on lookers. People didn't appreciate 5 healthy people hopping out of the SUV. So she told me she now fakes a limp after getting out. Her abuse made me so sick. She told another AB friend about her doctor friend and they were also able to get a handicapped placard. The abuse is rampant. :mad: Needless to say, this woman and I are no longer friends and I am proud of that fact.

My mother is handicapped and has a parking placard, however, she is rarely ever able to get handicapped parking places because they are already taken. There are too many placards and too few spaces.

I take my mom on cruises and I also have to book a year in advance to be able to find an available HC cabin. We can't ever get free upgrades and always have to pay full fare.

Its all about me, me, me anymore. People don't care who they walk on or over to get what they want whether it be closer parking, more room in a cabin or waiting in line.

I wish people would do the right thing.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Unbelievable! That "doctor" could get in a lot of trouble for doing that. Talk about unethical decision making! Besides, doctors don't issue DP parking placards. They write the authorization for them which the DP then forwards to their DMV who then issue a placard and registration.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived