Tattered & worn or enjoyed and appreciated?

luvthis

I think it is unfair to characterize Celebrity's ships as all being worn and tattered. I'm sure there is an industry standard for updating furniture, bedding, and fixtures. The "C" class ships embarked in 1995-1997. The "M" class ships in 2000-2002. They sail every week and house thousands of people each week. They are not new vessels. It's easy to find out when they were built and when they were last refurbished. Since the Mercury started sailing in 1997 and has not been updated yet, I expect some wear and tear. Heck, my stuff at home has wear & tear and it just houses my family and entertains family and friends. With the cost of fuel, food, and everything else, I perfectly understand their need to utilize their furniture, bedding, etc., as long as allowed by cruising standards.

We sail on Mercury on May 8. I don't expect anything spiffy clean and spotless, nor do I expect completely comfortable bedding. I look at it as an exciting way to see Alaska. If there's chairs that have some stains or fabric that has pulls in them, or bedding that has a bump here & there, I know the ship has been sailing almost 9 years. If I wanted new & was able to pay for new, I would book new. I appreciate Celebrity's service and the value. They are going to take me to see Alaska and feed me well and serve me well and keep me safe.

If I had a family gathering and was looking for a great vacation, I wouldn't hesitate in booking a Celebrity cruise. Cruisers that want a new vessel and/or furniture & bedding can find and pay for that on a different cruise line. As far as I'm concerned, value and safety and dependability mean more to me than a spotless chair and a brand new bed.

Jean in Racine

I totally agree with you. :)

I often read on these boards about the wear and tear on the ships...tsk,tsk:eek: But I have sailed on these ships and have found them wonderful, especially the Mercury (before Norovirus). I am sure if I spent my time on a cruise looking for worn areas I would find them. But to be honest I am TOO BUSY have a wonderful vacation.:D

Thank you for posting that! I'm about to book Mercury for next June for Alaska and frankly all the negative talk starts to make one uncomfortable. But I agree 100%, I'm not looking for a palace, I'm looking for a nice place to see some beautiful scenery and a few good meals. I know I'll find all of that and more on X!

We spent 31 days on Mercury starting Feb 3rd. There was a little wear. The ship was wonderful, the lounges comfortable and I would gladly have spent another month there... without the virus though.

Stuff happens even on brand new ships...

On the Noordam inaugural, we observed a button had been lost from one of the upholstered wall panels in one of the glass elevators, and there was a big crack in the gilded plaster header above the forward-facing glass in the Crow's Nest (observation lounge) - one of the medicine cabinet doors fell off in my hand as I was moving into my suite (later repaired by the roving maintenance teams with a BIG black screw! :eek: ) and not only did the jacuzzi tub not jacuzzi in my suite, but the water wouldn't come out of the King Neptune's mouth in the portside Penthouse's inside bathtub and the jacuzzi on the PH's verandah would only jacuzzi for a couple minutes at a time when it would stop for no apparent reason (the darned thing is just too complicated - even the maintenance staff couldn't figure it out!)

Did that impact the fun we had tho?

NO WAY!!!

;)

Just off the Millennium. Awesome time! We didn't really notice anything (and no, I don't drink). No stains, tears, etc. Guess we weren't looking because I am sure they were there. I take that back, actually there was some sand in the T-Pool. I commented on it because I'm not sure how it got there.

Now if a handle fell off in my hand I'd probably notice :) And if my hot tub didn't work, that might make me say something.

I am amazed how people come back complaining about tears, stains, etc. I mean if they are huge and in your bed or couch, OK, you can't miss them. Otherwise you need to be looking for them. Now I'm no Pollyanna or anything but geeze some of the stuff people complain about. Just not how I like to spend my vacation.

enjoy,

Duane

I am looking forward to a comfortable, entertaining cruise to Alaska. I want to view the sites with my own eyes. I want to meet new friends and hear stories of others cruise vacations. I want to eat until I can't eat another bite. I want to snuggle under the covers with my hubby of almost 36 years and I just want to relax.

At home we have a Pekingese dog. His name is Kirby. We love him to death but boy is he a shedder. I chuckle thinking about friends that stop over with fresh black slacks on and leave with "Kirby fur" all over their butts. Ha! I'm sure the furniture on the Mercury will be "fur free". Ahh...no fur, no begging dog, no work phone calls, no responsibilities. Ahh...great food, fun activities, entertaining shows, unbelievable glaciers and Alaskan hospitality.

No way I'm gonna complain over the fact that the Mercury has 9 year old furniture that has been utilized by thousands of happy Celebrity cruisers and shows its years. I'm gonna sit on those well seasoned chairs and marvel at Alaska.

All Cruise lines seem to hear a lot of negative feedback from unhappy cruiseser. I'm sure many of them have legitimate complaints. I personally want to tell Celebrity and all the other cruise lines that "good stuff" happens on a cruise...like making forever vacation memories.

--Jean

Thank you for posting that! I'm about to book Mercury for next June for Alaska and frankly all the negative talk starts to make one uncomfortable. But I agree 100%, I'm not looking for a palace, I'm looking for a nice place to see some beautiful scenery and a few good meals. I know I'll find all of that and more on X!

Although we had a less than memorable cruise on Mercury, we didn't think she was shabby at all. Truthfully, I did think she looked like she had been decorated by someone on acid in the 60's. :p IMHO, the carpet & walls with circles aren't very attractive. The paint on the wall behind the martini bar is the worse! :eek: To be fair, I wasn't born until the very late 60's, but I'm pretty sure this design hasn't been popular in my lifetime, definitely not in the 90's. :D I think she's aging well. I just prefer a more classic design. :)

I'm 53 so I remember the 60's very well. I wouldn't choose that decor either, but hey...a vacation is a vacation. My guess is that the circles are there to mask any worn spots or stains and slow the aging process a bit. O ya...orange and green colors and lava lamps and incense and nairu collars and the Beatles (ah...great band) and more.

Thanks for the chuckle. I'll be right at home walking on those carpets and viewing the wall decor. Ha!

--Jean

I'm 53 so I remember the 60's very well. I wouldn't choose that decor either, but hey...a vacation is a vacation. My guess is that the circles are there to mask any worn spots or stains and slow the aging process a bit. O ya...orange and green colors and lava lamps and incense and nairu collars and the Beatles (ah...great band) and more.

Thanks for the chuckle. I'll be right at home walking on those carpets and viewing the wall decor. Ha!

--Jean

LOL :D That's the way I felt about one of the production shows on Mercury. It had a lot of 80's songs in it, which made me feel young again. I could watch that show every night. :p

In regards to the Mercury's decor - She was designed to be a very sleek streamline moderne art deco liner w/ edgy modern art. The goal was to appeal to the same crowd who would frequent the W hotels, or any other hip, trendy NY/London boutique hotel. From a design standpoint I think she is the snazziest ship designed in the modern era - hip, fun, funky and a great art collection. I frequently read Wallpaper magazine, Met Home, Interiors, Architectural Record, etc. and I find her decor to be right in line with the "hot" design of the last decade. In short she is a winner!

As to wear and tear - I think many ships are getting a bum rap. It seems everyone wants "their" ship to be factory fresh. Lets face it at 2000+ guests every week it would be hard for any cruise line to keep their ships pristine. Could more work be done on an ongoing basis to address "small" cosmetic items? Sure, but in the end a cruise ship is part of a business and at an average per diem of only about $150.00pp/day it is a cost/benefit item that may end up taking a lower priority than mechanical/life safety issues. A small tear that "upsets" someone and "ruins" their cruise may be part of a large punch list for the available maintenance staff and be rather low down compared to say, oh keeping the life boat davits free from rust and corrosion......

It seems some people expect a cruise ship to be dry-docked for cosmetic maintenance every year. I think the average time between dry-docks is expected to be about 4-5 years for most ships. It is very expensive to take a ship out of service and the main goal is a thorough overhaul of her engines and other mechanical components - all the stuff we as passengers never see. Yes soft goods, carpets etc. recieve attention but they are secondary to the other work being done.

In the end I cannot expect an essentially mass market ship to look like a Ritz Carlton or a Four Seasons (oh, and by the way every Ritz or Four Seasons I've ever stayed had had some obvious wear and tear that could have been attended to). I cruise for the overall experience, not the condition of the ship. If I wanted, or expected, "brand new" on every cruise then I should only book a brand new ship -right?

Enough said - Scott

Maybe I'll feel right at home on Mercury!

;)

Brian - I think you will LOVE the decor. Hot, hip and oh so very retro!

Look for the nifty art installation on the port side of the ship in the aft area of the Cova cafe heading torward the midship elevator lobby. It looks like some wood panels mounted to the wall on your left, but it moves - play with it and you'll discover something really neat.........

Ciao - Scott

Frankly, these ships are used as long as they can and then something is done. We were on the Summit for two weeks April 9th, and it looks horrible. I don't know how most of you all live, but I like things to be nice.

Our Celebrity Suite was nasty. Stained furniture, faded carpet that was only cleaned once:mad: ....and that was when I ask, mold in the bathroom. By the way the suites do not get to good towels that the Concierge class do. I had to ask for towels that did not have holes in them.

So, I am through with Celebrity. They can use and abuse their ships, have horrible food, and dirty ships. I cancelled our 32 day SA trip while we were on board.

Celebrity has lost is charm, and that is really sad.

If anyone is offended, I am sorry, but it was our money, and was not a good trip......I am still trying to get my eyes cleared up from all the bleach that was sprayed for two weeks.

In regards to the Mercury's decor - She was designed to be a very sleek streamline moderne art deco liner w/ edgy modern art. The goal was to appeal to the same crowd who would frequent the W hotels, or any other hip, trendy NY/London boutique hotel. From a design standpoint I think she is the snazziest ship designed in the modern era - hip, fun, funky and a great art collection. I frequently read Wallpaper magazine, Met Home, Interiors, Architectural Record, etc. and I find her decor to be right in line with the "hot" design of the last decade. In short she is a winner!

We've stayed in W hotels, & I wouldn't say Mercury's decorations remind me of those. That's the problem with hip & trendy. It comes & goes quickly. Yesterday's hip & trendy is tomorrow's passe'. As I already admitted, I prefer the classic oceanliner designs though. We thought Infinity & Century were both beautiful ships. Mercury was <ahem> clean. :D

Brian,

Sounds like you'll love it! As they say, something for everyone, right? :)

Frankly, these ships are used as long as they can and then something is done. We were on the Summit for two weeks April 9th, and it looks horrible. I don't know how most of you all live, but I like things to be nice.

Our Celebrity Suite was nasty. Stained furniture, faded carpet that was only cleaned once:mad: ....and that was when I ask, mold in the bathroom. By the way the suites do not get to good towels that the Concierge class do. I had to ask for towels that did not have holes in them.

So, I am through with Celebrity. They can use and abuse their ships, have horrible food, and dirty ships. I cancelled our 32 day SA trip while we were on board.

If anyone is offended, I am sorry, but it was our money, and was not a good trip......I am still trying to get my eyes cleared up from all the bleach that was sprayed for two weeks.

We were on the 3/27 Mercury cruise and I have to agree about some problems that you cite on other Celebrity ships........mold on shower curtains and some tiles, very worn and dirty carpets that are hardly vacuumed,worn furniture, dirty windows that hadn't been cleaned, but they were sure bleached to death.

We wrote about our dissatisfaction to their headquarters, but my impression is that they don't care about the customer views anymore. It is profit, profit, profit!!!! I think they even have a new VP for revenue stream/profit maximization. Cleanliness should not be let go for the sake of profit. Neither should customer service. Sorry to vent, but I felt your pain.

I'm curious. Celebrity runs two week cruises in S America. Which one was 32 days long or did you cancel the wrong cruise?:confused:

frchteaze,

I'm with you...we are so excited to be going back to Alaska -- this time with kids and grandkids -- that it would take something very serious to make me complain. I'm sure that the Norovirus will be a bad memory when we sail in July. Our last trip to Alaska was on the Galaxy, so we're familiar with aging ships of that class and, actually, she was our favorite for a long time. As long as there are glass windows to view magnificent site when it's cold outside and lovely glaciers to cruise by...we'll be happy. That said, there really is no excuse for 'dirty' as has been reported recently. That's what guest relations, housekeeping and going up the chain of command is all about. I've rarely had a concern that wasn't attended to if I pressed the right button (with a smile). Should I have to do that...probably not...but it's my vacation and I'll do whatever to ensure that things are taken care of - always with a smile and a tip when warranted. Alaska on the Mercury, here we come!

Well, we were on the Summit on March 12th for 2 weeks. It was perfect when we left it. What in the world could have happened??

BYE, BYE don't let the door slam on your way out.

You know......I looked at all those Celebrity lovers, and being at elite status, I can say that they are not keeping up their ships.

Frankly, I think cruising is going down hill. Yes, and thanks for reading all my few comments, as we did cancel the Golden Princes. I have read enough about mass marketing cruising......and as Celebrity was my favorite, it sure isn't after this one.

Everyone has their standards......some people don't mind bad food, service, or dirty rooms. I don't live like that at home, and sure do not expect it on vacation.

We all can spend our money where we want. We would have booked Celebrity if their SA trips were of any intererest, after doing 3 of them in SA there are still doing the same thing.

Between the bad trip on Celebrity and the fire on Princess, I cannot see the joy in spending that kind of money to be crammed on a ship with 2600 people.

Celeb does a lot of things right, but maintaining ships isn't one.

I've only sailed Celeb twice, on Summit in '03 and '04. Now this is not an "old" ship by anyone's standards, and I had great cruises, especially the second go round. But in '04 the amount of rust on the hull of the ship was inexcusable. On the first cruise, a weird extraordinary memory was the incredible amount of sand - over an inch - in the bottom of the spa tubs (and being allowed to run through the spa plumbing) throughout the cruise... As nice as many of my memories of Summit are, neither of these two particular memories impressed me with the line's care or "pride of ownership" of its hard assets.

I with you, with all the negative comments we cancelled the Mercury for Dec 1 and switched to the Osterdam for Dec 2, same itinenery and same price. Celebrity asked why we were cancelling and they said we should not believe what we hear on the internet.

I have been on all the Celebrity ships with 15 cruises in the last two years, some 600 days at sea over the last ten years. I have seen a few streaks of rust, but I saw painting in progress, I have seen worn carpet but I saw rugs replaced on an ongoing basis. I have seen dust in a few places but I have seen continuous cleaning by staff. Some watch the sky, I look at the sunset. I cannot believe that a few problems forces you to give up a wholle lifestyle. With the hotel fires in Vegas (MGM Grand for example) there was a major loss of life. If you look at statistics, millions of passengers travel safely on cruise ships. Does Celebrity or Princess have an occasional problem, of course but nowhere are the problems as severe as some of you have posted. I have been on two ships with Norwalk. Was the voyage less enjoyable? Of course, but that does not mean all ships suffer the same all the time. I hope those posters with the problems will find alternative vacations more to your liking, and websites where you can enjoy yourself through slamming products out of proportion to what is reality.:cool:

Archived