Tattered & worn or enjoyed and appreciated?

luvthis

Maybe Celebrity should continue doing things just as they are. Then all the snobby people who get upset over worn chairs, fading bedcovers, and chipped rails will cruise with another line and those of us who don't care about such trivial things and who realize we're responsible for our own happiness can all have fun together! ;)

Maybe Celebrity should continue doing things just as they are. Then all the snobby people who get upset over worn chairs, fading bedcovers, and chipped rails will cruise with another line and those of us who don't care about such trivial things and who realize we're responsible for our own happiness can all have fun together! ;)

Oh, so snobby people get upset over worn chairs, etc. That is what sets us apart? Actually, for $11,000 there should be nothing worn, and you should get what you pay for. Neglect on maintenance is no excuse. If you will "settle" for that, then some people just have lower standards.:confused:

Makes you wonder what also is not being maintained that you cannot see.:eek:

Makes you wonder what also is not being maintained that you cannot see.:eek:

My diet. Celebrity food and service over the next month are going to lead to a serious deterioration of my will power. But then I'm going steerage. The sun don't shine where I have my cabin. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I'm sorry Celebrity is not up to your standards. You probably had below average service from your butler/room stewards. If my cabin were that dirty and below past experiences I would be upset too. May your future holidays come closer to your expectations. I also have a few issues with Celebrity but none are as serious as your experience.

The truth be told, isn’t it wonderful that we all have the right to spend our money as we wish. That includes by the way RCL and Celebrity. They are in business to make money for me…a stock holder. As a stockholder and client I’m happy with the .15 per share dividend and the product they offer me. Other stockholders may disagree.

Isn’t it wonderful that we all have the right to express our opinions both pro and con regarding the condition of the Celebrity ships. We also have the ability to travel and spend our money as we see fit for our lifestyles.

Isn’t it nice to have so many choices of cruise lines? If one line doesn’t fit your needs or meet your expectations or sail to the ports of your choosing you have the ability to choose either another cruise line or another form of vacation travel. Just because we have different standards and different likes and dislikes doesn’t mean that this opinion makes one a snob and some other opinion means not a snob. No one opinion can be categorized as the correct opinion (except of course our own opinions.) They are what they are. Opinions and nothing more. Neither right nor wrong simply opinions. There are two sides to every story making the pros and cons neither as bad as some would opine nor as wonderful as others would say. Some see the glass as half full or others half empty. I like to think I’m of the half full persuasion.

Just my opinion...and 2 cents worth...

TSome see the glass as half full or others half empty. I like to think I’m of the half full persuasion.

My glass is always close to empty. But when I look at the alternatives, it's easy to refill. Some people are related to Joe Btfsplk:eek:

We do have to remember that "one man's meat is another man's poison".

Recently I had a cruise booked with another line (to try it out , liked their long voyages which Celebrity does not do). Two weeks before I sailed a neighbour came back after an identical cruise on the same ship. She was full, and I do mean FULL of complaints, everything from parking her car at port, embarkation, her mini suite, her balcony, food , you name it she had a complaint about it.

I was so depressed, worried for days about my "mistake" in booking the cruise. Well I went, took Cruise Connection bus to port,stood in line for embarkation (who does not ?), and boarded. No one took me to my cabin but I am not stupid, I had studied the ship's plan, I had inside cabin, so no balcony to complain about.

The ship was very clean, the staff were good, food was comparable to Celebrity, etc etc.

Some things were different to Celebrity, but did I have a good cruise? YES indeed. Got home, neghbour asked my opinions, then informed me that "You must have LOWER standards , I would NEVER sail that line again" Hearing I had in fact booked with that line for 2007, she informed me "You must be CRAZY!!!!"

I have done over 10 cruises with Celebrity, love the "big ships", but I want to go on a long cruise and for me , new fresh places, so I have to choose a line that go where I want to go. My choices are always based on ports of call, length of cruise, cost of inside cabin,travel to and from ship to home here in FL.

Do not be dismayed by the negative postings. have a wonderful cruise.

If you will "settle" for that, then some people just have lower standards.

(Not to incite a riot here, but..) Since when is "lower standards" a bad thing? I actually take that as a compliment. It means I'm always happy with whereever I am and with whatever I'm doing.

Give me lower standards any day. I'll be the one with the smile on my face. :D

Celebrity asked why we were cancelling and they said we should not believe what we hear on the internet.

Apparently some good advice from Celebrity there...

In this thread alone, one poster relates the terrible experience they had on Celebrity, and how these poor standards led them to cancel their future (Celebrity) cruise whilst they were still on board... yet their future cruise wasn't even on Celebrity, but another line! :eek:

Celebrity, as a premium mainstream line, should ensure that their onboard furnishings and decor are maintained at a level that is commensurate with their 'premium' brand proposition. But folks, these are ships that are in constant use - the only way to avoid any wear and tear at all would be to replace furniture on such a frequency that costs (and prices) would inevitably have to rise.

Now, if I booked on SeaDream and found tatty furniture, I'd be most miffed. But, with average per diem rates double, or even quadruple that of Celebrity, SeaDream can much better afford the 'cost is no object' constant furnishing upgrades.

We were on the Legend of the Seas, RCCL, from Sydney to Singapore (not a exclusive cruise line. hmmmmmm) a few years ago, and they were always replacing carpet, furniture, etc during our 17 days.

However, the "'premium' brand proposition" of Celebrity obviously does not require that.

As far as the daily rate, $11,000 for 14 days does deserve clean furnishings......maybe not in your house, but certainly in mine.

P.S. I never said, I cancelled a Celebrity Cruise, as we did not have one booked. I cancelled the Golden Princess to make it totally clear, as it appears that more people are happy with less........and if a "'premium' brand proposition" like Celebrity cannot keep their ships in good shape, I would hate to go on one that was not on the Gold List.

My one and only Celebrity cruise was the Century 18 months ago and it was run down, shabby and reminded me of an aging airport Holiday Inn. Cabin carpet upholstery heavily stain, threadbare, broken chairs, an absolutely disgusting bathroom, broken furniture in the buffet area, carpet so worn and dirty on the open decks gold carpet was blackened in areas. When I complained on these boards I was called a liar. I researched old posts and found similiar complaints going back at least a year prior. We have not had this problem on other lines. I do not understand how anyone make excuses for dirt and shabbiness.

My one and only Celebrity cruise was the Century 18 months ago and it was run down, shabby and reminded me of an aging airport Holiday Inn. .

sammiedawg

I see you are still on your Century bashing rant. If you only cruised Celebrity once why are you still posting here after 18 months... Get over it. We cruised on Century for a month in may 2005 and the ship was spotless. A Navy chief with whom we often cruise even ran his fingers over normally overlooked places looking for dust. He was so impressed he returned for the westward crossing in October and is getting off today from the eastward crossing for Century's overhaul. We will cruise again in October on the new Century. Both of us have cruised Celebrity for nearly 40 weeks. We would not be returning if the conditions were as you implied...

I have cruised for over 600 days on Celebrity, HAL, Princess and RCL. No company would stay in business if they could not attract return cruisers.

[quote=FortyNinerLiz: ...Cleanliness should not be let go for the sake of profit. Neither should customer service. Sorry to vent, but I felt your pain.

Is there a shortage of " elbow grease"?

I agree with many here. I can live with things being threadbare and

looking well used on a ten-year old ship. However, I also agree with

others that there should never be an excuse for things being dirty

on a ship.

A good supply of good old-fashioned elbow grease or vigorous

cleaning would insure that things are kept spick and span. But it's

a valuable commodity that often seems to be in short supply.

Merely wiping, in place of hard rubbing, just doesn't get the dirt off.

Nevertheless, we should expect thorough cleaning as the norm.

Yes, keeping things spotless is a a thankless job, but it must be done.

Humans err and members of the crew are no exception no matter

the cruise ship or the cruise line. It's a given that there will be times

when some of them don't do a good job of cleaning; therefore, things

could be dirtier than they should be.

Consider yourself fortunate if you haven't been faced with it, but it's

unfortunate and unpleasant for those who have. It's unnecessary!

It's an overused saying but it's true: Where there's a will there's a way.

Thank you for such an upbeat message!!!! That's right up there, with the glass being "half empty, or half full"!!!

You must be great folks!! LOVED your take on the ship's condition.

Heading, tomorrow, for TransAtlantic aboard Millie, for the third time!! We'll be having a wonderful time, I'm sure!!

Thanks for the imput!!

It seems everyone wants "their" ship to be factory fresh. Lets face it at 2000+ guests every week it would be hard for any cruise line to keep their ships pristine. Enough said - Scott
I think you are right. There are cruisers who are looking for only "new builds" and do not appreciate the fact that every single ship in every line's fleet cannot be brand new. How many of these people are also the one's with champagne & caviar tastes but a beer & peanuts budgets?

on Costa Mediterannea last year (ship approx. 5 yrs. old).. they changed furniture during the cruise.. we returned to the ship after being in port and our chairs were missing.. I called housekeping and was told 'new' ones were being delivered any minute.. and they were.. beautiful new chairs, altho the old ones, didn't look bad to me.. I guess all ships have a schedule they go by and things get redone whether or not its needed.. and even if its badly needed it has to wait for the scheduled time..

I think you are right. There are cruisers who are looking for only "new builds" and do not appreciate the fact that every single ship in every line's fleet cannot be brand new. How many of these people are also the one's with champagne & caviar tastes but a beer & peanuts budgets?

Why be an apologist when aggression is more fulfilling? Is Arubalisa's point, "If you don't like ratty, you're really not classy"? Ple-eeze!!

Maybe y'all ought to take a look at Tuggers on board view of Prinsendam... I guess HAL isn't "classy" enough to keep its older ship shop worn...

Why be an apologist when aggression is more fulfilling? Is Arubalisa's point, "If you don't like ratty, you're really not classy"? Ple-eeze!!

Maybe y'all ought to take a look at Tuggers on board view of Prinsendam... I guess HAL isn't "classy" enough to keep its older ship shop worn...

Perhaps I am dumb, but don't "get" the agression comment. :confused: All I was trying to say was do not expect a stay the Ritz Carlton or 4 Seasons on a Holiday Inn budget. Meant no offense to anyone, and sorry if you took it that way. Personally, I've never stayed in a Ritz or 4 Seasons, but have stayed in plenty of Holiday Inns and Days Inns...

Things being a bit worn, or slightly dusty I can overlook and certainly it would have no bearing on my vacation.

With that being said, any vacation I take is looked forward to with great anticipation. Some cost more than others, but generally most have a good chunk of money invested in them--whether I stay at Atlantis for 4 nights and spend 1000 dollars or take a 7 day cruise and spend 1000 dollars(this is just a hypothetical)

Little things like worn/stained/tattered linens might be minor, but combine that with the possibility of a bad mattress or mildewed batharea and chipped tile or stained furniture-- it all adds up.

Thankfully, I haven't experienced that on any of my cruises at least enough to have it "bother" me or warrant a complaint and hopefully never will.

My opinion is--it really takes so little to replace or fix some of those things! You can't continue to make "The Celebrity Treatment" be your catch phrase when cosmetics are obviously needing attention.

I realize there are some who will never be happy, but even those that are serious Celeb lovers have to admit the cosmetics are being neglected.:rolleyes:

I think the point of the thread is comparative unkeep of the lines sharing the same general price point.

Even the "beer and peanuts" price point 'mass market' lines presently offer is being sold with "champagne and caviar" imagery so high expectations aren't unreasonable given the marketing (after all the name of the line isn't "Lowbrow"!).

Still, its astonishing to me what the major lines offer for $100-150 a night p.p. When one compares it to what 3 or 4 star hotels and resorts are charging in major destination cities and localities, we as consumers can only sit with Cheshire Cat grins.

That said, RCI and Celeb are presently commanding a solid 10% fare premium over their closest market competitors (at least that's what my web surfing seems to show). Kudos to RCI's management and stockholders. BUT, given that situation, Celeb's (in particular) shouldn't be an also ran in the "ship shape" maintanence department.

Prior to our Century cruise last year, our very first X cruise on Mercury and our second cruise was on Century. Well! sammiedawg commences posting on this forum that Century is little more than a garbage scow and declares that she will never cruise on Celebrity again. However, she continues to post her negative comments.

Well, after reading her comments for months, we boarded Century [which I confess is our favorite X vessel because of the great crew and staff]. We proceeded with our "white gloves" and magnifying glasses to give this old and battered lady a careful inspection. What did we find? She was gleaming, and all of the metal items were bright. Our conclusions were exactly the opposite of sammiedawg's observations. Our RS was in immaculate condition, except for several stains on the marble floor in the toilet area which apparently was cause by spilled perfume. The food and service was the best that we had had on X.

Okay, so we book the 11 night cruise on Mercury out of San Diego embarking on 1/2/2006. What do we find on this forum - posts that Mercury is also an old rust bucket, and those were some of the kinder posts :D. Since we had also previously been on Mercury, we had some points of reference. We found that our RS had been totally refurnished with new carpet, and the bedding was apparently new. We noticed that a number of the public areas in particular Rondevous Square had quite a bit of new furniture, and that other public areas had been redone at the minimum with new carpet. Well, she was also bright, clean and gleaming.

These are just our observations, and we are not trying to be cheerleaders for X [see my review of Galaxy in the Med for an Oct. cruise last year and my review of Mercury for our latest cruise dealing with a decline in the quality of food and our poor dining room service], but fair is fair, and these vessels when we have been on them have been a delight to see. Oh, and if there is a little bit of rust on your veranda [on the metal, the teak does not rust], that just happens to be a problem with salt water and spray.

Too bad sammiedawg on Century, didn't get to spend some time with Erol Gray the bartender in Rondevous Square - she might have at least had some smiles to remember!

To Chechase, the topic of this thread is the physical maintenance on Celebrity. To my knowledge, I have every right to share my opinions. My comments then and now about our run down cabin, dirty carpeting on the open decks, broken stained furniture in the buffet were 100% true. I cannot speak to your experience on a later sailing and in a different cabin. We are not difficult customers, I had never even turned in a negative comment card on a cruise until this one. But when we take time off from work, pay for airfare, cruisefare and all the ancillary expenses, is it too much to expect a physical plant in good condition? believe me, I dont expect the Ritz or the 4 Seasons, we sail mainstream cruiselines and patronize mainstream hotel chains. I didnt expect to have a physical plant looking like an aging airport Holiday Inn and be stuck there for a week. I have never complained the ship was dusty or not cleaned on a daily basis. You cannot clean stained ,old and worn carpet and upholstery. It needed to be replaced and perhaps it was after our sailing. I have never complained about the service or the personnel on board, all of them work very hard and try to please. I'm sorry you have a problem with anyone posting opinions that differ from yours

Hi -LUVTHIS (Jean in Racine) We (Barb and Les) will be joining you from Andover MA----------enjoying every second without a microscope!!!!!!!!

If we ever expect hard/soft mattress, cold/hot food, dressed "correctly"/incorrectly", steward service twice a day, menu, etc----------AND DEMAND MORE-------WE must be the bazillionairre who could afford their own ship!!!!!!!!!! Do you change your sheets EVERY Day?

See you on the ship. I will be pushing my wheelchair, for exercise, or in it if leg gives out. Please introduce yourselves. Remember, Bostonians don't have accents!!

We will arrive in San Diego at noon and take X bus to Encinada. Delta Airlines here we come!!!!!! Taco (Barb)

Hi -LUVTHIS (Jean in Racine) We (Barb and Les) will be joining you from Andover MA----------enjoying every second without a microscope!!!!!!!!

If we ever expect hard/soft mattress, cold/hot food, dressed "correctly"/incorrectly", steward service twice a day, menu, etc----------AND DEMAND MORE-------WE must be the bazillionairre who could afford their own ship!!!!!!!!!! Do you change your sheets EVERY Day?

See you on the ship. I will be pushing my wheelchair, for exercise, or in it if leg gives out. Please introduce yourselves. Remember, Bostonians don't have accents!!

We will arrive in San Diego at noon and take X bus to Encinada. Delta Airlines here we come!!!!!! Taco (Barb)

Bob & I will watch for you two. We arrive at about 1:30 p.m. on American Airlines. It is my understanding that Celebrity has busses to transport us all and the leave as they are filled. And about your "lack of accent"...ya, right! If there are several people bopping around in wheel chairs, I'll just listen to you say the word "Boston" and I'll know you immediately. Ha! Bob has a bad back, so we often have to walk a bit, then sit a bit, then walk a bit. You're lucky you have a wheel chair to use when needed.

See you on the Mercury next week! Hmmm...that reminds me, I need to change our sheets before we leave home so they are nice and crisp when we return. If they change our sheets once while we're gone, I'll be pleased. We use out towels more than one day, too, so just the pleasure of having someone else wash them, is really great!

--Jean & Bob, Racine, WI

Archived