price reduced on air fare after I bought tickets

Firemedic54

With the recent gas increases our local news had a story saying that alot of airlines would be raising their ticket prices by as much as $50.00 per person. I booked the next day non-stop out of Greensboro to Orlando for $298.00 PP last week. Today checking around same flight now $268.00. My question does anyone know if websites like Yahoo, travelocity will they credit my card the difference if I were to call them like a cruise line will?

With the recent gas increases our local news had a story saying that alot of airlines would be raising their ticket prices by as much as $50.00 per person. I booked the next day non-stop out of Greensboro to Orlando for $298.00 PP last week. Today checking around same flight now $268.00. My question does anyone know if websites like Yahoo, travelocity will they credit my card the difference if I were to call them like a cruise line will?

What do you mean you were "checking"? Did you go so far as to try to make a booking? If not, what you saw may not reflect what the true price is. Then again it may.

To answer your question. No-but you may be able to get a voucher. However, it has to be an identical ticket-NOT just the same time and airline. Same fare class, same fare rules, and all segments, if you are on a connecting flight, must have availability AND the same fare class/rules. Sometimes, Travelocity, Expedia, etc. will act as a consolidator and get "bulk" tickets from an airline, which they will sell for a discount. Usually not many tickets at that price. Worth a phone call to whomever you booked with. May or may not get you money back, but first you must read ALL the rules.

It definitely is worth checking. Two weeks ago I purchased an open jaw ticket to Europe through Orbitz, flying on American Air. A couple days later the fare dropped by about $70 each. I called American, and asked what they could do for me, a credit, a voucher, or nothing.... Bottom line is, they charged me $10 each to change the ticket, but they re-issued the identical ticket ( probably in a different class or something ) and credited my credit card for $120. So yea, do ask, and not just your travel agent, go to the airline also.

Various airlines have different fees for ticketing changes. So, if the fee is $50 and the fare drops by $40, it actually costs you $10 to get the lower fare. In addition, some airlines issue you a flight credit (good only on their airline) others will refund to your credit card. So, you need the following:

1) Fee charges for a change

2) New fare on the same routing/flights/dates

3) Math skills to see if it is worth the effort

4) Determining if you will be able to use the refund if they issue it in an airline credit

It definitely is worth checking. Two weeks ago I purchased an open jaw ticket to Europe through Orbitz, flying on American Air. A couple days later the fare dropped by about $70 each. I called American, and asked what they could do for me, a credit, a voucher, or nothing.... Bottom line is, they charged me $10 each to change the ticket, but they re-issued the identical ticket ( probably in a different class or something ) and credited my credit card for $120. So yea, do ask, and not just your travel agent, go to the airline also.

You were very lucky, I fly NWA all the time and the credit is in the form of a voucher to be applied against your next flight. (With an expiration date of one year).

To the OP: You are on the Delta connection. Those are the small CRJ's usually not many seats at the lowest price. Good luck getting a reduction but I suspect Delta will charge the $50 re-ticketing fee so it is probably not worth the effort.

That $268 fare probably doesn't include tax and surcharges because most booking sites don't give you the actual total until you book. When you add all of that on, the total will be right around the $298 price you paid.

Archived