HELP!! Galveston departures to Mexico

I took my first cruise in Feb. and went to Nassau and Coco Cay, etc...LOVED IT!!!! My problem is this...my husband wants to sail out of Galveston, and those sailings are only to Mexico..Costa Maya, Cozumel,etc..In my mind I am thinking I just won't love it as much as Coco Cay, and that part of the Caribbean..For those of you that have cruised from Galveston, please let me know how well you liked the ports in Mexico..Thank you so much..I am hoping to change my mind about it...;) as I am ready to sail again soon, and we are much closer to Galveston, than Florida!

I took my first cruise in Feb. and went to Nassau and Coco Cay, etc...LOVED IT!!!! My problem is this...my husband wants to sail out of Galveston, and those sailings are only to Mexico..Costa Maya, Cozumel,etc..In my mind I am thinking I just won't love it as much as Coco Cay, and that part of the Caribbean..For those of you that have cruised from Galveston, please let me know how well you liked the ports in Mexico..Thank you so much..I am hoping to change my mind about it...;) as I am ready to sail again soon, and we are much closer to Galveston, than Florida!

There are other ports of call made by cruise ships leaving Galveston other than Mexico. You can also find cruises to the Panama Canal, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Belize and the Bahamas.

I know, I should have clarified...We are looking at a 4 night cruise, since it is his first cruise, so it has to be close...My first choice would be a longer cruise to St. Thomas, etc..so that I could go over to St. John...

I guess to each his own, but we love Cozumel and Costa Maya. In Costa Maya, we get away from the pier and go to a little fishing town about 3 miles down the beach. It is called Majahual (sp?) and is very uncommercialized. It is wonderful and you can get massages on the beach for $20. Spend the day eating great chips, salsa and authentic fajitas, swimming in clear blue water, and sitting on a beautiful beach. Can't ask for much more than that.

I've been to Cozumel about 10 times, and each time I have done something different, so there is plenty do there and I'm sure you can find something (go to ruins, shopping, go to the beach, spend the day at a hotel, swim with the dolphins etc.).

The RCCL ships from Galveston are great and you will love them! They are full of Texans and everyone has a really good time. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I guess to each his own, but we love Cozumel and Costa Maya. In Costa Maya, we get away from the pier and go to a little fishing town about 3 miles down the beach. It is called Majahual (sp?) and is very uncommercialized. It is wonderful and you can get massages on the beach for $20. Spend the day eating great chips, salsa and authentic fajitas, swimming in clear blue water, and sitting on a beautiful beach. Can't ask for much more than that.

I've been to Cozumel about 10 times, and each time I have done something different, so there is plenty do there and I'm sure you can find something (go to ruins, shopping, go to the beach, spend the day at a hotel, swim with the dolphins etc.).

The RCCL ships from Galveston are great and you will love them! They are full of Texans and everyone has a really good time. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

This is what I was REALLY looking forward to on our Jewel-cruise-that-wasn't. :( I just wanted to lie on the beach with those local massage guys and just say, "Wake me for last call" and just get ONE LONG MASSAGE. :D

BNSILLY, don't know if you realize, but RCCL doesn't have any sailings going out of Galveston doing 4 or 5 night sailings until November. The ship that was there (the Splendour) just left and went over seas. It only stays in Galveston 6 months at a time. Didn't know how soon you wanted to cruise, but just wanted to let you know that RCCL isn't available until then.

Of course being from Texas our first cruise was on the Rhapsody out of Galveston.... did 7 nights tho.

Lived in Florida for 8 years and went to Bahamas numerous times and have also traveled to Mazatlan (Pacific Mexico) Jamaica and all over Southern Caribbean on Serenade.

Anyway......my point is..... I prefer Mexico over the Bahamas any day !! Especially Nassau - dont need to go there again. People are friendlier (mucho grande) and you still have the beautiful water.

You will enjoy it !

• 4 months later...

Talk him into a 7 night on the Rhapsody.. he will want to cruise forever. Rhapsody is a special ship, lots of fun and didnt get the name - Friendlist ship at sea - for nothing. Also you will get more port options. What's a few more nights.. just more time to relax and enjoy and leave the real world behind!

Archived