Princess Cruise

Shogun

Hi Folks,

last four cruises have been on Princess ships looking for something new,

simple question why shouls I pick RCI over Holland America or any other line. What will the main differences be.

yours Shogun

I've been on Celebrity, RCCL and Disney and each had many distinct qualities as well as many of the same things. To me the two big differences with RCCL and Celebrity was the quality of food and the cabin layout and drawer space. Both were better on Celebrity. There seems to be more FUN on RCCL. I found the staff quality better on Celebrity, but I have the feeling that was a fluke.

Good luck.

We did 6 cruises on Princess ships before we tried RCI. Now we would not go back to Princess unless it was an unusual itinerary or fablously low price. The dining rooms and the atria on the Voyager and Radiance class ships are so beautiful and totally eclipse the same venues on Princess ships. The dining rooms are breathtaking! Service is just as efficient, or more so, and more overtly friendly on RCI. The entire decor of the ships is more beautiful than any of the Sun and Grand class ships we were on, and the layout is more navigable. Art work is more stunning. Balcony cabins on RCI ships offer either a loveseat or sofa and coffee table for a sitting area. Beats the heck out of Princess' balcony cabins only having one small club chair! RCI offers more on-board activites than Princess and generally has a more energetic atmosphere.(You can find plenty of quiet if that is what you want, however.) We avoid sailing RCI during school breaks, as RCI does encourage a family experience with super kid's programs. I know Princess used to limit the number of children on all cruises, but don't know if this is still the case. The only area I wish RCI would improve is piano bar sing alongs. To our taste, the food has improved on RCI in the past 2 years. Frankly, before that, I thought Princess had better food. Now I think they are on an even par. We don't use pools much(we enjoy our private balcony), but the Solarium adults-only pools on the RCI ships are so lovely!

Hi There,

Why move from Princess, well its simply how do I know that I am getting good value for my money if I can not compare it to something else.

I am happy with the product to date, thats why I have done four cruises.

But is there something out there which is better for the same money.

I know I could get better if I spent loads more money.

Now Princess are not perfect on my last cruise I had to make a complaint however from the time it took me to walk back from the desk to my cabin an officer was standing at my cabin door ready to organise crew to fix my problems. On my return I sent Princess at letter telling them what happened now was not looking for anything just thought they should know what happened they sent mr a credit note for arond 20% of my holiday cost.

What I want from a cruise, first I want cruises longer than 5 to 7 days. I want a number of ports of call at least 5 in every 7 days. I like bigger ships. I do not mind some kids around, so long as there are adult only areas as well. Not into loads of silly poolside games, a little are good as you want the holiday to be fun. Big show productions are not so important, live good quality music, from different parts of the world, a guest speaker is nice. Channce to eat different styles of food in different locations when I want.

Service standards that mean all the basics are covered, I do not like having to ask for supplies of ice, towels bathroom products to be refilled.

I do not need to have my shoes shined for me unless I request it.

As I like to go on longer cruises I note one poster saying that RCI do not have onboard laundry room is this true. Its just that its is useful when onboard for two or three weeks.

I like a range of tours to be on offer, I the more odd types that if youy had not been to an area you might not know about. In Greenock went to Sheepdog School, In St Lucia went whale watching.

Thanks to those that have replied.

Have been watching the Freedom on the TV looks like an interesting ship..

yours Shogun

Shogun, if you want to sail during the winter months, I recommend the Serenade or Adventure from San Juan. The classic itinerary has 5 ports in 7 days...St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados. It doesn't get much better than that! Depending on your closest airport, airfare can be very reasonable if booked well in advance.

It would be hard to get 5 ports in 7 days from any other U.S. port. It is great that you are considering branching out. Like you said, you don't know what is best for you until you've tried other products. Happy sailing,

Shogun,

I have done both Princess and RCI (Radiance). Here are my opinions:

1. The food is better on Princess in the dining room.

2. The food is better in the buffet on the Radiance.

3. The staff in the dining room was friendlier on the Radiance.

4. The balcony cabin was better layed out on the Princess ship.

5. The entertainment was better on Princess, for my taste.

6. The secondary show lounge on Princess was better for me because of no smoking and layout (seating and sight lines).

7. The drinks were better quality on RCI and bartenders much more friendly.

8. The captain and staff were more apart of the cruise experience on RCI.

9. Vacationers were friendlier on the Radiance (can't explain this one). 10. 10. Television access to accounts and getting shore excursions nice option on RCI.

11. RCI has some adjoining cabins, Princess does not - big plus if you have kids.

I think it depends on what is important to you. You should give RCI a try and see because they both have strengths over each other. My personal taste would lead me to book Princess first if possible, and then RCI, but I still would book RCI.

I

Shogun,

I have done both Princess and RCI (Radiance). Here are my opinions:

1. The food is better on Princess in the dining room.

2. The food is better in the buffet on the Radiance.

3. The staff in the dining room was friendlier on the Radiance.

4. The balcony cabin was better layed out on the Princess ship.

5. The entertainment was better on Princess, for my taste.

6. The secondary show lounge on Princess was better for me because of no smoking and layout (seating and sight lines).

7. The drinks were better quality on RCI and bartenders much more friendly.

8. The captain and staff were more apart of the cruise experience on RCI.

9. Vacationers were friendlier on the Radiance (can't explain this one). 10. 10. Television access to accounts and getting shore excursions nice option on RCI.

11. RCI has some adjoining cabins, Princess does not - big plus if you have kids.

I think it depends on what is important to you. You should give RCI a try and see because they both have strengths over each other. My personal taste would lead me to book Princess first if possible, and then RCI, but I still would book RCI.

I

We are Princess cruisers having 19 on Princess and 2 on RCL. I would not go back on RCL unless it was just something that couldn't be beat.

1.&2. Agree with you there.

3. Disagree. We have always had wonderful service on Princess in dining room.

4. Agree. Princess has nicer cabins/balconies and more comfortable chairs.

5. Depends on ship. Rhapsody entertainment was awful; Radiance very good for the most part; Princess has had some bad but mostly good.

6. More to do in Princess's second show lounge. Better seating arrangements.

7. Drinks better on Princess. The liquor overpowered the taste of the drinks on Radiance.

8. Agree, staff is much friendlier on Princess.

9. People are friendly on all ships.

10. TV is better on RCL to the point that they have more channels and you can access your accounts, but the movies are better on Princess.

11. Depends on the ship. The Tahitian Princess and some others on Princess also have adjoining cabins. We were in one on the Tahitian.

12. I believe the RCL ships are much more attractive than Princess but I like the way Princess uses their space. RCL tends to waste a lot of it.

I think it's just a matter of preference as to which line you choose. I think if Shogun goes on RCL he'll most likely do like us and stick with Princess.

Having been on both lines many times I would not hestitate to book on either line. I would decide based on itinary. If itinary's were the same then I'd go by price. If both price and itinary were the same then I'd go with Princess because their perks for repeat customers are far superior to RCL. You can't beat free internet and free laundry/dry cleaning service.

I think it's just a matter of preference as to which line you choose. I think if Shogun goes on RCL he'll most likely do like us and stick with Princess.

I am curious as to how you know that Shogun will most likely feel the same way you do? No two cruises are alike, sometimes not better or worse, just different. We all give our opinions and read other's opinions, take the information that's most important and then sail and come up with our own deductions. I sailed Princess after sailing RCI twice and missed the RCI experience but still enjoyed my Princess cruise. It was just different, and didn't tickle my fancy quite like my RCI experiences.

Hi Folks,

From what you are telling me there is little to choose between RCI and P.

The only thing I can see so far is that P. have a better range of cruises.

I will give RCi a try and will let you know how I get on.

yours Shogun

my 2 cents-having done both lines and on new ships-

they are both a WONDERFUL vacation and great for kids-they each have excellent features-I prefer RCCL because I think the ship layouts are better and in my opinion the food is FAR better, and in my experience the crew on RCCL seem to love their jobs more. I also love afternoon tea on Princess, and that they show movies in the lounge late at night. So Rccl is always my first choice...but then I take into consideration cost and itinerary...

Archived