Century switching from Amsterdam to Rotterdam in 2007

florisdekort

During the summer of 2007, Century will sail from Rotterdam (as opposed to Amsterdam). I was born and raised there, and still rent an appartment, just a 1 minute walk away from where Century will dock - perhaps even shorter. If you plan on booking one of the cruises departing from Rotterdam, and have any questions about the city, just ask! :D

Best Regards,

Floris

Floris,

Thanks for letting me know about the switch to Rotterdam and the offer to answer questions. My husband and I wondered if we were leaving from Amsterdam or Rotterdam because the itinerary says "Amsterdam (Rotterdam)."

We have booked the 17 May 2007 9-day cruise from Amsterdam/Rotterdam to Scotland & Ireland and back to Amsterdam/Rotterdam. We'll probably take the train from the Amsterdam Schiphol airport to Rotterdam, spend a day/night in Rotterdam pre-cruise, and then post cruise go to Amsterdam and maybe another town for a couple days.

I do have a a bunch of questions already.

Are there any hotels you would recommend close to the port?

Any restaurants in the area you recommend? We like casual dining, nothing fancy.

Do you know if the tulips (or other flowers) will still be in bloom? If so, is there any good place to see them in Rotterdam? The Keukenhof will probably be too far away in the little time we have.

Any sights we should see while in Rotterdam? We like museums, gardens, parks, history, charming towns, and the opportunity to get a lot of exercise walking or cycling. Does Rotterdam have canal boat rides like Amsterdam?

Are there places to rent bikes (train station?), and any nice places to bike ride where there isn't too much traffic? We are avid cyclists, but live in a rural area where we don't have to worry about a lot of traffic.

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks again!

Kathy

Are there any hotels you would recommend close to the port?

The cruise terminal is right in the center of town. There are plenty of hotels surrounding it. It is just a short walk accross the Erasmusbridge to all restaurants, shops, etc.

http://www.hotelnewyork.nl/

Is right next to the cruise terminal. From this hotel, you are on the ship in just 1 minute.

http://www.hotelinntel.com/site_old/index.php

Is very nice as well. About a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal.

Any restaurants in the area you recommend? We like casual dining, nothing fancy.

http://www.opazzo.nl/

Is by far my favorite. Great Italian food in a casual setting.

Do you know if the tulips (or other flowers) will still be in bloom? If so, is there any good place to see them in Rotterdam? The Keukenhof will probably be too far away in the little time we have.

http://www.keukenhof.nl/

It might be too late for that. Keukenhof is about a 45 minute drive... If it is still open, I would definately recommend you go there.

Any sights we should see while in Rotterdam? We like museums, gardens, parks, history, charming towns, and the opportunity to get a lot of exercise walking or cycling. Does Rotterdam have canal boat rides like Amsterdam?

http://www.spido.nl/

Boat tours

http://www.boijmans.rotterdam.nl

The art museam. A must if you are into museums. After the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, the number 3 museum in The Neterlands.

Are there places to rent bikes (train station?), and any nice places to bike ride where there isn't too much traffic? We are avid cyclists, but live in a rural area where we don't have to worry about a lot of traffic.

I don't know any places myself, but am convinced that any hotel in The Netherlands will be able to arrange bikes for you. It is the most popular means of transportation :D

Best Regards,

Floris

I also noticed X choose to leave from Rotterdam in 2007, but I think for departing and arriving passengers it is not a convenient solution.

Sorry Floris, but most passengers want to stay a few days in Amsterdam pre or postcruise.

If you take the train from Schiphol to Rotterdam (with luggage) I advise you to travel 1st class and to keep your luggage in sight at all times.

For 2 persons or more another alternativebut expensive way is a cab. There are shuttlesbuses that bring you door-to-door but the price is only attractive if it is just 1 person.

Of course you might also check airline connection as Rotterdam has a (small) airport, but has connections with e.g. Londen.

Keukenhof is open this year until May 21, it will you your only option to see some tulips. Season started later this year due to cold spring. However there will not be that many by then. You can take a train to Leiden and continue by bus.

Bikes are in general for rent at railway stations, but I am sure your hotelconcierge can help you out with that.

We also plan a cruise from Amsterdam/Rotterdam in 2007 (Century in July 2007). Being handicapped I can walk but can't carry any luggage so train travel is out of the question as my wife will need to carry all luggage. What are taxi/private drivers/shuttle options from Amsterdam hotel (we'll probably stay in Amsterdam for several days pre-cruise) to the cruise terminal in Rotterdam and from the terminal to Amsterdam airport post-cruise?

Cabs in NL are rather expensive.

Checking this on the www.schiphol.nl (airport amsterdam) website, gives the following info for the present rates

Schiphol airport - Rotterdam: Eur.- 104,- ,

one way Schiphol-Amsterdam city centre: Eur.- 45.-.

Based on 2 persons with some luggage.

I think Celebrity will offer transfers by bus from the airport to/from Rotterdam on sailing dates, but I have no idea about the fares.

Thanks, Ine and Floris, for your valuable input. You have been very helpful.

The cruise is still a year away, so our pre-cruise and post-cruise plans could change. I told my husband the news about debarking from Rotterdam. At this point we are inclined to stay in Amsterdam 1-2 nights pre-cruise and another 1-2 nights post-cruise. We would like to go to the Keukenhof pre-cruise if time permits and if the tulips are still in bloom. Going to the Van Gogh Museum is a top priority as he is one of my favorites. I just read in my Rick Steve's Amsterdam book that the museum also has works of Monet, Pissarro, Gauguin, Cezanne, and Toulouse-Lautrec – other favorites too. Rijsmuseum will be a must-do too, as will a canal boat trip.

We'll probably take the train down to Rotterdam early in the morning of the cruise. Then we can see some of Rotterdam too and maybe go to the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen.

We talked about using the Celebrity transfer to take us back to Amsterdam at the end of the cruise. Sometimes Celebrity will drop you off at a hotel or a train station. We plan to stay close to the train station so we can get to the airport easily and also possibly to take a side trip to Haarlem and maybe another town.

We will continue to read our Rick Steve’s Amsterdam book and also look at the links Floris posted.

Thanks so much!

Kathy

Floris - thank you for the great info. We'll be on the 7/9/07 cruise to the Arctic Circle. Anyone else going? There's a Roll Call started. Add your name and let's start the party early. We were just on the 4/17 Infinity cruise from SF. That group was a major scream - just like a bunch of kids hanging around (alright....we were all drinking together). What a blast!

Archived