No more Aussie Crew

Seadog69

Due to Taxation changes, Australian crew will now be taxed as working in Australia. Which makes it not very worthwile to work onboard. I heard the Australian crew will be eventually offered work on Princess. Will this effect your onboard cruise experience??

Seadog:(

i know when p&o do australian cruises ie melb cup or party weekends they add gst onto drinks etc i dont know how they will do this as ships are registered in uk . i believe you get taxed if you elect to get payed in australia not 100% sure any accountants out there

i know when p&o do australian cruises ie melb cup or party weekends they add gst onto drinks etc

That's a bit rude considering drinks are no longer duty free when in international waters. When I cruised Fairstar drinks were dirt cheap but I recently paid $5.50 for a (half) glass of wine on Sun. Some bars poured a full glass but not all of them.

Karen

Due to Taxation changes, Australian crew will now be taxed as working in Australia.
Hi, Seadog69, and welcome to CC!

Do you mean that Aussie crew will be taxed as working in Australia when they're doing cruises in Australia and the vicinity, or for cruises worldwide? And will this be based on their nationality, or their residence? If it's the latter, then I wonder whether Aussie crew could get away with it if they went travelling to Europe for a year before signing up for a ship?

Hi Globiliser

As far as I have been told, if you are an Australia Passport holder and work on a ship that does round trips from Australia you have to pay tax. If you worked on the Diamond Princess which finishes her Aussie cruise in New Zealand you do not pay tax. So as long as the vessel starts or completes its cruise in a non aust port they do not have to pay tax. Princess who does some of the manning for P & O Aust is now just rotating Australian crew on its Princess fleet, none of which apart from the Pacific Princess ( P & O Charter) do round trips from Australia

Seadog

They get the liquor duty free they just increased the prices! no matter what they sell you. I suppose they need to make up some money from the huge increase in fuel costs.

It is also interesting to watch the International ships stocking up with liquor in Sydney/Auckland.Not only duty free,but bought in our dollars and sold on board in $US/£Sterling,so they make a currency gain as well.

Not only duty free,but bought in our dollars and sold on board in $US/£Sterling,so they make a currency gain as well.
Doesn't that depend on how many South Pacific Pesos (of whichever variety) they have had to pay for their duty free booze? Pay enough of them, and your profit margins get eroded even if you resell in GBP or USD - and neither of those currencies is invincibly strong! ;)

Archived