Where to stay pre-cruise in Barcelona

Hi Guys,

I need info on hotels in Barcelona. We've never been to Europe and will be doing a Med cruise Rt Barcelona in 10/2007. I want ot do a 2 day pre-cruise stay. I've been reading up on diffrent hotels in Barcelona on tripadvisor.com but I'd like to here from CC buddys I trust your info allot better.

Thanks,

Liz

Hi Guys,

I need info on hotels in Barcelona. We've never been to Europe and will be doing a Med cruise Rt Barcelona in 10/2007. I want ot do a 2 day pre-cruise stay. I've been reading up on diffrent hotels in Barcelona on tripadvisor.com but I'd like to here from CC buddys I trust your info allot better.

Thanks,

Liz

Go back on this board and do some searching...there have been a lot of posts in the last couple of weeks on hotels in Barcelona..all different price ranges and areas.

Liz,

There are a lot of hotels in Barcelona...and they range all over in terms of quality. I've stayed there three times now, myself...the first at a hotel I don't remember the name of, but wouldn't recommend it anyway. The second time was at the Hilton--which was nice, but I don't recommend due to its remote location...Las time, through Celebrity, we stayed at the Gran Havana...We liked the hotel very much...it was very modern and quite convenient, as long as you don't mind walking a few blocks...

But, generally, here's my take:

You want to be as close as possible to the Placa Catalunya (The Northern Terminus of Las Ramblas, the great walking promenade)...This is pretty much the center of everything in Barcelona...it's closest to the most shops and restaurants...and it's the hub of all of the city's transportation systems...it's also a great center of nightlife.

It is much better to be at this end of Las Ramblas than the Southern end...it's a better, safer neighborhood...If not right on the Placa, best to be close to it in the Eixample District (Corts de Catalan, Passieg de Gracia) and within walking distance of the Placa...

The Eixample is the "newer" part of central Barcelona and the hotels will generally be much more modern and in better condition (including the all-important working air conditioning). I'd stay away from hotels in the Barri Gotic...most are old and not in the best condition and the neighborhood is not quite as safe at night...

If you stay near the Placa Catalunya, you will be right near Las Ramblas, the Casa Milla, Casa Batllo, the Barri Gotic...and a direct bus ride or short cab ride to the Sagrada Familia and the Parc Guell...Tou will have the great Spanish Department store, El Corte Ingles RIGHT THERE and you will have a wide assortment of restaurants...

Good luck...

Right along with Steve's advice is the hotel where we are going to be staying at in September, 2006, on our BOS 12 day RT cruise. We will be 3 nights pre-cruise and will be using H10 Universitat on Ronda Universitat just to the west of Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas. The location is perfect. The price is, including 7% tax, 407 Euros for three nights; on tripadvisor and bookings.net it is rated pretty high. The only thing is to remember to get a room above the third floor and not next to the elevator! The rooms are not real big, but that's ok; it will get us ready for our staterooms!! They do have connecting rooms if you need them.

But there are many nice hotels recommended on this board. I would go to www.bookings.net and look through and see what interests you and then search these boards for any input. Ones mentioned on these threads are really numerous. But my main concern was location and not as expensive as the Majestic and other similiar hotels. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Pooh

Check ou the Hotel Continental Palacete. Just one or two blocks north of the Placa Catalunya. 24 hour free breakfast and snack buffet a big plus. We are staying there for 3 nights prior to our cruise on June 16. We have a large room for 2 adults and our two teenage girls. I think it is 230 Euros a night which includes breakfast. Check out tons of reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. Just type in Barcelona hotels and look for it or type in the name of the hotel. Good Luck.

KathiB

We are staying at the Hotel 1898, pre and post cruise. It just opened in Oct. 2005 and has been getting great reviews on trip advisor. It is on La Rambla, a 3 min walk from the Placa Catalunya. We got a really good rate for booking early- we booked in November - prices have gone up quite a bit since then.

I recommend Torre Catalunya (ranked I think 11 or 14 of tripadvisors Barcelona hotels) and Abba Sants (ranked in the low 40s). You can get a room plus breakfast for 2 for under 140 dollars on alpharooms. Booking closer to your arrival date (within a few weeks) probably gets you a better rate.

Ron

We did the Royal Hotel a couple of years ago and liked it. Small rooms but great location. If going in middle of summer Las Rambles can be noisy at night so you might want to ask for a room at the rear of the hotel. Have a great trip. Marg

*SUPER SUMMER OFFER HOTEL PRESTIGE CONGRESS*

Stay at the Hotel Prestige Congress starting July 15th through to August 27th, 2006, from only 59€* and enjoy all the following additional deluxe services:

-Free transfer airport-hotel-airport

-Free access to the Spa-Fitness

-Free internet (WIFI)

-Free mini-bar

-Ask Me: Advice and assistance in planning your tourist or cultural visits, shopping sprees or whatever you want to do in Barcelona: restaurant reservations, tickets for shows, itinerary preparation...(available before, during and after your stay)

At the Hotel Prestige Congress we want you to make the best of your stay.

*For make the reservations go to Online Bookings.*

*For more information and bookings, contact Prestige Welcome: **prestigewelcome@prestigehotels.com* <mailto:prestigewelcome@prestigehotels.com>

*Tel. 902 200 414 / Tel. 972 25 21 00

Fax. 972 25 21 01*

*Double or single room, room only. Special prices available for triples and 4-bed rooms.

Offer valid from 15th July to 27th August 2006 from Monday to Sunday for individual bookings of up to 9 rooms. Subject to availability. Not applicable on top of other offers.

Look at www.hotelsearch.com. Click for a map for any hotel and you will see locations of many other hotels. Work with the site and you will find it very useful.

Bob :cool:

Great idea but I think it is very limited . I see there are many hotels we have talked about in these forms that are not coming up on that site.

Great idea but I think it is very limited . I see there are many hotels we have talked about in these forms that are not coming up on that site.

While it is true that not all hotels discussed here appear on my suggested web site, that site does have hundreds of hotels in central Barcelona. There are 12 five star, 104 four star and 156 total for three and two star hotels. Original poster, I suggest that you look at a map on the site to get oriented, take a look at any hotels there which look interesting to you, and then look at any other hotels you want to investigate.

I agree with Bruin Steve's suggestions about location. You will find a very good hop-on, hop-off bus tour which begins at Placa Catalunya. The Ramblas is the street that has its northern end at Catalunya. There is a lot going on along the Ramblas, at least there was during the weekend we were there.

Let us know that you have read all the material here.

Bob

While it is true that not all hotels discussed here appear on my suggested web site, that site does have hundreds of hotels in central Barcelona. There are 12 five star, 104 four star and 156 total for three and two star hotels.

Bob

Bob

I must be doing something wrong

I only come up with 6 five star hotels

Grand Marina Hotel - Barcelona

Hotel Le Meridien Barcelona

Hotel Clarís Barcelona

Hotel Majestic - Barcelona

Hotel Majestic - Barcelona

Hotel Rey Juan Carlos I - Barcelona

We know there are more

http://www.hotelsearch.com/1/5starhotelsinbarcelona.html

You may be looking at only "available hotels" for some date. Make sure you have "all hotels" Also the numbers I have are for "Central Barcelona", not just one area. However, the specific areas seem to limit one to only a small portion of the central city, e.g. south of Catalunya and perhaps only a portion of that. Also I found that the site will not show anything, or much, for dates far removed. But it still should show for "all hotels". (I may not have the exact words in all cases.)

This is the best hotel site I have ever seen with maps. There may be a few hotels missing, but I don't think many. You can also find hotel information for other Spanish cities. I used one for Madrid two years ago.

Try again. Heck, the original poster may not come back anyway. I don't like that.

You may be looking at only "available hotels" for some date. Make sure you have "all hotels" Also the numbers I have are for "Central Barcelona", not just one area. However, the specific areas seem to limit one to only a small portion of the central city, e.g. south of Catalunya and perhaps only a portion of that. Also I found that the site will not show anything, or much, for dates far removed. But it still should show for "all hotels". (I may not have the exact words in all cases.)

This is the best hotel site I have ever seen with maps. There may be a few hotels missing, but I don't think many. You can also find hotel information for other Spanish cities. I used one for Madrid two years ago.

Try again. Heck, the original poster may not come back anyway. I don't like that.

Still a great tool to have.

Have you tried http://www.kayak.com

You can search for rooms and cars as well as flights.

They also use a map.

Thanks for the link.

WE stayed there last summer with our sons and it was a great location. The boys...24 and 25 loved the rooftop pool. We got a great deal on a Junior suite that slept 4 ont he internet. check thier web site. Great location. Lovely hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

When we ended our Med cruise ... we had 5 days in Barcelona. We booked a new (relatively unknown) B&B called "The 5 Rooms". It was FANTASTIC! It's located about a block from the north side of Placa Catalunya - northeast of Placa Catalunya on Pau Claris - a few steps from a Metro stop. From the outside it is an old, unassuming building. You go through a groundfloor atrium (being restored at the time we were there) ... up an old, small elevator that is in the center of the old stairwell ... to the 1st floor (2nd floor by American standards) ... through a beautifully carved, old wood door ... to a totally modern, restored apartment. There are several common rooms for enjoying breakfast, reading ... or just relaxing and chatting with other guests. The rooms (five of them) ... each different and with their own bath ... are very large by European standards and even large by American standards. The beds are approximately American queen size ... not the two twins pushed together that is common here. The rooms have individually controlled central A/C ... totally soundproofed windows ... furnished in popular modernist decor in white with splashes of color and fresh greenery ... wood floors ... modern, contemporary bathrooms in tile and chrome. The front rooms open onto small balconies which over-look the busy street (but TOTALLY quiet when you close the doors). Rooms have small TV's (satellite) and DVD players.

A simple continental breakfast every morning ... juices ... coffee / teas ... breads ... jams ... meats ... cheeses ... cereals ... plenty to get your day going ... is included each day.

The most wonderful part of the place is the proprietress - Yessica. She is an energetic, young woman who loves her city. She will point you in the right direction for the best restaurants ... shopping .. sights to see ... etc. She speaks very good English (and German, Spanish and Catalan) and "clued us in" on how to use the Metro ... tipping guidelines ... when to go places ... where the "locals" eat ... etc.

We found a jewel and will definitely seek her out whenever we are in Barcelona. If you contact her ... please, tell her that Maurice & Madeleine said "Hi". Thanks.

We are staying at The Five Rooms, per your recommendation, late September, 2006. How did you get from the hotel to the airport. Are cabs readily available and approx. what cost? Thanks for the info.

Patty

We will be staying in Barcelona post cruise for one day. Our plane leaves very early (7:00 am) the next day. Does anyone have ideas for a nice hotel (clean, modern, quiet-moderate cost, shuttle to airport would be nice) that is near the airport? Thanks so much for the information.

We were in Barcelona in October 2005 ... room prices at that time were $115 euros. Posts by people that have recently booked the 5 Rooms for stays around this time of year seem to indicate that the rates are now a little higher - at $120 euros ... don't know for sure. Why don't you email Yessica and inquire about the time frame that you're interested in?

Archived