Loved the Zaandam, help me choose

LDinCT

Loved the Zaandam, help me choose - Statendam, Veendam or Ryndam for Alaska in August. They all are Vancouver to Seward or vice versa, so no savings on airfare there. Which ship is in better shape? They all have the SOE upgrades, right? How about explorations cafe?

If you enjoyed the Zaandam, you'll enjoy either of these ships. These ships are similar but just a tad bit smaller than the Zaandam. I have sailed the Ryndam and Veendam, loved them both. Its would be a toss up between these two ships.

All three ships now have their SOE Enhancements, including the Explorations Cafe. I've only been on the Veendam, but it was in fantastic shape. I think you'll enjoy any one of them.

There's some good Virtual Tours on HAL's site, on each ship's page, if that helps any.

If you wanted to decided on age alone the Statendam was first of this class in 1992, Ryndam 1994, and Veendam 1996. Of course all 3 have had SOE completed. I believe SOE was done in that order all so, oldest first. I have traveled on all 3 ships and have spent the most of my time on the Ryndam. I think if I had a choice I would lean toward going on the Veendam. I think that is just based on the age of the ship. All 3 are wonderful ships.;)

We had to make the same choice. I'm sure there is very little difference in these ships. Go with whichever itn. works best for you. We chose the Statendam because she has four ports of call one of which is the new Icy Strait Point and we wanted to see Hubbard Glacier. Whatever you do make sure you plan to spend some time in Seward. It's one of the best ports and should not be rushed through.

As far as the ships themselves, it's about six o' one; half a dozen o' the other.

I would choose based on itinerary and day of the week the sailing is most convenient.

We have been on the Zaandam and more recently, the Veendam. We both preferred the Veendam. The staff seem more personable and it was easier to negotiate as it was smaller. We thought the CD and shows were as good if not better. Our cabin steward was definately better on the Veendam. Food was better in our opinion on the Veendam as well.

Archived