Grand Cayman - Free day

mbw1024

I will be on the 10/21 sailing of Coral Princess and this port will be one of our last. We already have plenty of things booked for other ports so I am thinking of leaving this as a "free day". No plans, just get off the ship and see what happens. Any pros or cons to that?

I think we tender to this port, is that correct?

Thanks.

Mary Beth

I will be on the 10/21 sailing of Coral Princess and this port will be one of our last. We already have plenty of things booked for other ports so I am thinking of leaving this as a "free day". No plans, just get off the ship and see what happens. Any pros or cons to that?

I think we tender to this port, is that correct?

Thanks.

Mary Beth

:) Check out this web site I found: http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/FreeBeaches.htm . There are several areas near the port for sight seeing.

Cruisin Dave

We just got back from our cruise on the Conquest and went to Sea Grape beach, recommended by our cab driver (less than 15 min ride). We got there early, a little after 8 am and it was absolutely wonderful...The water was clear and perfect temp, and the sand was clean. We spent over two hours just swimming and sitting in the water before we had to be back for our stingray trip. Grand Cayman was definately our favorite island!

We did the same thing on the Caribbean Princess in May. We took a bus to the beach across the street from the Courtyard by Marriott. We had a lovely day. There are facilities and a small bar and restaurant. Beach chairs are $10 to rent or you can just put your blue and white striped towel on the sand. We caught another bus back to Georgetown and shopped until it was time to catch the tender. I recommend the rum cake which can bought at several locations.

mba1024 Now that you've rented a car you will probably find the web site that Cruisin Dave posted very helpful. Great site! We've used it in planning before!

Aquarian ... HELP! Question Please! :confused:

We went to the beach across from Courtyard Marriott several times when it was the Holiday Inn but always took a taxi. Please tell us where to catch the bus. :confused:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I have already been planning out our day. I'm a little excited can you tell! AFTER I rented the car I realized it was driving on the left. good thing my BF lived in Bermuda for a year :)

We plan to have an easy day. Beach time, snorkel a little here and there on our own, lunch, cocktails ;) well, not for the driver!

When we got off the tender, we walked down the street which was to the right of the emerald store for about two blocks and turned left. It wasn't too far from there on the right hand side of the street. We weren't really sure where we were going, so we asked someone along the way. There is an information center close to where the tenders are. Ask there for better directions. It's not a far walk.

was the bottom of the ocean nice at Sea Grape beach?

The water was so clean as was the sand in the water. In some spots there was large smooth black rock which the sand covered. No seaweed or plant growth, and had lots of cute little white fish swimming around you. It was absolutely beautiful. I could have spent days there just in the water.

From the North Terminal turn left and walk till you get the traffic lights, turn right up that street. About 200 yards up that road will be the court building and a big courtyard/fountain on your right. Round the corner (the fountain is on a corner so you just need to go to the other side of the fountain) is the public library. The bus station is next to the library.

Rum Point is about a 45 mionute drive from Georgetown. Well worth it - if you can be bothered. Deck chairs, hammocks and waitresses that serve lovely drinks with umbrellas in them. The water is less than 4-5 ft for about 300 yards out so the snorkelling is good. Also safe for the kids.

You can easily do this in Grand Cayman. We were there on the Carnival Conquest and went to Stingray City, Hell, the turtle farm, did shopping and lunch. But, if you don't want anything planned, seven mile beach is close by. You can walk around the town. This is a good island to just relax and not make any plans. We are going on the Coral on Dec. 28th and will be there in Jan and may not make any plans at this time. What are you doing in the other ports? Do you have plans in Belize?

At this beach (which sounds absolutely beautiful!) can you do any snorkeling, or do we have to get to the Rum Point area? Years ago (1980's) we stayed 10 days at a guest house and went everyday to Cayman Kai which is near Rum Point. Since then most of the beach has been erroded by hurricanes so we're looking for a different option.

Archived