Anyone EVER see a shark when doing a Snorkle/Stingray City tour?

DENNAS

I know..... it's a strange question, but some people I work with asked me if I am concerned about sharks when I go to Stingray City Sandbar, or snorkling.

This thought never crossed my mind, until they brought it up. They said that the sandbar where you feed the stingrays is "way out there" in the water and sharks could be around. I haven't seen this topic discussed and now it's making me wonder. Thanks.

Well, stingrays are a favorite food of hammerhead sharks. No joke.

Sharks are rarely seen by the many tourists visiting the Stingray sites. However early morning fisherman have reported sightings many times as have the helicopter pilots and tours guests.

They are out there. You are just highly unlikely to catch a glimpse.

In January we saw 2 sharks, and a moray eel. We went with Captain Marvins, the crew will coax them out of hiding so that you can swim with them. It is really cool.:D

I've been to Cayman 3 times and have never seen a shark, i will be going again in July, maybe i will find a tour that will take me out to swim with the sharks, i have always wanted to do that.

thanks for the Idea, i was wondering what i could to on the Island this time around.

richbum and caribbean dreams... You are not getting my point... : ) I asked because I DON'T want to see them ! You guys seem to love the idea... This is becoming too funny. You'll be swimming IN their direction, I'll be swimming like crazy back to the boat. THANKS... (uh.. I think)

I had the same exact thought running thru my mind. I am from Florida so the words "ocean" and "sharks" are not a good combination. We are extremly wary when we go out just 10 feet into the Gulf. I asked them via email at Nativeways about that and was told that it is an ocean so sharks can be there but it is extremly rare to see one. I am not too concerned about nurse sharks. They are not the aggressive ones by nature. Still deciding whether I want to go with the stingrays or not.

Tina

The question should be whether anyone has ever been attacked while out there? Sharks are in the ocean. The fear is generally unfounded because of the extreme odds. You'd stand a much better chance of the boat sinking on the way out to the sandbar than for a shark to attack several hundred tourists swimming about.:o

richbum and caribbean dreams... You are not getting my point... : ) I asked because I DON'T want to see them ! You guys seem to love the idea... This is becoming too funny. You'll be swimming IN their direction, I'll be swimming like crazy back to the boat. THANKS... (uh.. I think)

Hi,

They're talking about nurse sharks (which I relate closer to catfish than reef sharks). While they do have teeth, their main food are crusteaons and they live most of the time hibernating under ledges in the reef. They're not considered dangerous and in fact are usually quite friendly to humans (as we're clearly out of their food chain). And of course, as a diver myself, they're for your viewing pleasure, not handling pleasure. They are very tolerant but of course don't pick on them or try to do stupid stuff like pull their tails to get them out of the reef.

Randall

And I agree, the safest part of your cruise will be your snorkel trips. The odds are much greater of having an auto accident going to the airport, the plane falling from the sky or the ship sinking before you get attacked by a shark, let alone killed by one (any of these odds are less than if you won the lottery (so I guess lottery winners should not go on a cruise vacation :)). So enjoy the water.

Thanks scubaran for the clarification !

I'm truly looking forward to swimming with the stingrays next year, and would love to "see" a nurseshark, (from the boat, thank you very much) but I think I'll leave the rest to all the other diehards out there !

• 11 years later...

My family and I were out in Sting Ray City about two weeks ago and did in fact see a hammer head shark. It disappeared as quickly as it appeared but was on top of the sandbar and came within 40 feet or so of the our group. There weren't many people on the bar that day, however there were what felt like schools of sting rays so our best guess is that it was searching for food.

Sharks are in EVERY body of salt water, and even in some "brackish" parts of rivers....you are quite unlikely to be bothered. We used to swim near a fishing pier....dad would be fishing and we would be at the beach....lots of hammerheads getting caught on the pier...but we weren't bothered.