Just returned...some tips for your Med cruise

First of all, we have just returned from a Brilliance Med trip - RCI. We loved the ship, staff, and wondered why we had wandered off of using RCI around the mid-90s. Certainly they did a great job and we loved our itinerary. That being said, want to mention a couple of items to help those who are yet to embark.

ATMs - my ATM with MC logo was not working in Barcelona, although I had Euro traveler checks I planned on using the ATM for spending money that I had used last 2 times we were in Europe. Per my bank, when I got home, MC notified them about a month ago that they were no longer releasing money in Europe due to fraud. They said many of their customers were caught in Europe with no access to money through no fault of theirs but MC pulled access very quickly with no warning. You may wish to check on this further, or get more E BEFORE you leave - do not wait until you get off airplane. Yes, ATMs are very available but if you can't get money.....luckily, the ship ATM was out of Florida and I could get money from the ship - $$ - then convert with their money exchange to Euros.

Watch for pick pockets in Barcelona - we were coming out of a busy street in Gothic Quarter and watched 3 young men case the crowd, walking very rapidly around everyone, then swoop back down the street and grab a bag from a couple looking in a shop window. This was about 3 p.m. in the afternoon and although the man tried to catch them it was of no use. We loved Barcelona, used the tourist bus on and off most of one day, our hotel was located outside the main tourist area and, although we thought we would be disappointed at that, we were glad to get back to it at day end.

We used private guides for Villefranche, Livorno, Rome and Naples and they enhanced our experience tremendously. Any of you using Sylvie, Alessandro, Daniele, Walkamalfie (Tony) you have a real treat in store, they are all wonderful. Any of you still debating on booking, their summer is filling up but I would be glad to provide e-mail addresses.

Anyone has other questions, would be glad to help...

Thank you so much for the heads-up. Our ATM has the Visa logo. Wonder if it would be the same? I've been trying to decide whether to get my Euros ahead of time or not. Other posts were leading me toward getting some to start with, then getting the bulk at ATMs over there. Now I'm thinking I need to get them here before I leave so I don't have to worry with it.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. We will be sailing on the Brilliance on July 1.

I have a few questions.

How many formal nights and how many semi formal?

When was the first formal night?

Are they still doing 4 seatings?

If you have main, do they give you a choice of which main?

Thanks,

marilyn

A few things I've learned over the years:

***Xerox your credit cards front and back and keep a copy back in your cabin...If your wallet or purse gets stolen, you'll need the credit card numbers, phone numbers, etc. to call and cancel...

***Always carry at least one credit card that your spouse is NOT carrying...That way, if one has his/her wallet stolen and you have to cancel all of those cards, you'll still have a card you can use...

***Before leaving, call your credit card companies and inform them of your travel plans...With today's "early warning" systems, if your card suddnly shows up with charges in Venice and Rome and Athens, they assume it's been stolen...they'll cut it off and try to reach you at home to verify---BUT, you are NOT home, of course...If they know what to expect, they'll note it on their computer and your cards will remain usable...

***If you're one of those who uses Travellers' Checks, make sure you have half written iun each spouse's name...If, for example, they are all in the wife's name and get stolen along with her passport and other ID, you can get them replaced, but you won't be able to use them until you get a new passport (not easy, believe me)...

***Men, carry your wallet in your FRONT pocket...hopefully a very deep pocket...

***Women, rather than a purse, try carrying your valuables in something that secures to your body and is attached in a manner difficult to unbuckle--some of those "fanny packs" are easy for a pickpocket to dislodge if the buckle is in the back and exposed...things that go under the clothing are better, but, you also may want to consider pants with deep pockets...

***Don't carry around more than you need...leave what you don't need back in the safe in the cabin...

***Do not bring or wear expensive jewelry...Those diamonds or the Rolex make you a target...and what is the point? Who do you need to impress anyway?

***Stay awake and attentive...

Good luck...

I've posted this before, but who knows where it is :/..........Be very careful with the ATM card with the credit card logo!! It's much easier to dispute a charge on your credit card than to get your $$$ back into your bank account if someone uses your cc#. REMEMBER: YOU DON'T NEED A PIN # IF YOU USE THE CARD FOR CREDIT! You don't want your bank account drained while on vacation, better to have seperate cards 1-ATM and 1- credit card.

Bruin Steve, Great tips, I've heard though that they'll cut a belt pack right off before you know it. Is that true?? I don't want to carry a purse but need something to carry essentials in.

Becky

We are just back almost 3 weeks from a cruise on Brilliance of the Seas in the Med and Greek Islands . This time we just did a lot of the ports ourselves and took some RCL tours .

We are going back in October on BOS to the Med and for that cruise we have hooked up with some people from CC for private tours . You have left it a bit late to book private tours as they get booked up well in advance of the cruise .I suggest you see if there is a thread going on the Meet & Mingle for your cruise . Someone just might be looking for a person or persons to share the cost of a private tour . Some of the ports are easy to do yourself and you can get great help and advice on this board .

:D Wonderful advice, thanks to all especially Bruin Steve and JKeith!!We are leaving for Barcelona July 22 for the Brilliance Med cruise July 25th with another couple. None of us has been in Europe before.

Since we have a couple days in Barcelona, did you use a private tour there? We are staying at the Majestic.

We have private tours booked for Rome, Florence, Naples. Did you book a private tour for Venice?

Thanks again for all the great advice.. I"m in my purse right now looking for my ATM card to see what logo it has :eek:

Re: fanny packs:eek: .. they are a pickpocket's dream... they just love people who think they are really being comfy being "hands free"! Even ones with the thicker belts.. a lady on our cruise had hers stolen twice... (she bought a new one).. slit right from behind and it's gone before you know it. The "under the shirt" things are great and also a small bag that you carry on shoulder or over the shoulder and keep your hands on... When I was a TA I can't tell you how many die-hard fanny-packers learned the hard way that there are places that it's just not wise to use them and Europe's big cities are #1 on the list.

Thanks for advice in Barcelona.We are trying to reserve with Daniele. I am waiting on reply from their company. Who did you reserve tours with in Venice, in Dubrovnik, Croatia, in Corfu, Greece? First time in Europe. We could not get Sylvie,she was already booked for Villefrance? Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim and Judy Dickerson. PS: Should we get EUROS from the states before we board airplane in Charlotte, North Carolina?

Hi

I can't say enough good things about Michel Legrand and Revelation Tours - we had a terrific tour from Cannes to Monte Carlo from our stop in Villefranche while on the Galaxy Transatlantic cruise in May.

First, I want to tell you that Michel and Revelation Tours are exceptional for many reasons.

We found out when we boarded the Galaxy that the itinerary had been changed and that we'd be in Villefranche a day earlier than originally planned. With less than 2 weeks notice and during their busy season, Michel was able to make this change for us. Also, as word spread onboard about our Villefranche tour, we asked Michel to accommodate 16 more Cruise Critic folks in 2 minivans, and he did it for us. He had to sub-lease the vans from another company and arrange for these vans to have the same amenities as Revelation Tours vans, but he did it.

Another special note is that Michel and Revelation Tours did not mind if each of our vans - and we had 5 in total - had a different itinerary, nor if we changed the itinerary as the tour went along. Moreover, Michel went out of his way to draft three different itineraries for us based on the interests of our Cruise Critic groups, rather than demanding that we choose from the existing tours in the Revelation Tours brochure.

We had three vans doing an all-inclusive tour - from Cannes in the west to Monaco/Monte Carlo in the east. Two vans visited Nice, Juan les Pins, Antibes, St. Paul de Vence, Eze and looked out over Monaco/Monte Carlo from La Turbie. The start for the two vans was delayed by an hour by French police checking paperwork and such. And later in the day, the second van developed engine trouble. In spite of that, we all felt the tour was A1 and were not grumbling about these events. Michel approached me - not the other way around - and advised he would not charge us at all for these two tours. He would not listen to us saying we had had an excellent tour in spite of the delays and would not even consider accepting 50% of the tour cost. Our van thought well enough of him and the tour that we tipped him equal to most of the tour cost.

Everyone in all the vans got an information kit with a copy of the itinerary for the day and historical information about the places being visited. Each van - even the non-Revelation Tours vans - offered an audio presentation for each visit site and free non-alcoholic drinks too.

The weather was perfect, the scenery was divine and the service we received was outstanding. We probably had the best shore excursion we've ever had and thought it was a perfect day! You can check out the Revelation Tours web site at http://www.revelation-tours.com or contact Michel Legrand at revelationtours@aol.com

Bev

Hi

DH and I are recently back from the 5/7 Galaxy Transatlantic cruise. We had an itinerary change - dropping Malaga and including Livorno. I had already been in contact with Paola Migliorini to arrange a day trip to Florence from Rome after the cruise, so emailed her to change from that to a tour from Livorno. A number of Cruise Critic folks were also interested and Paola was able to coordinate 5 vans for all of us.

Paola was highly recommended in other earlier posts on this board and I echo those recommendations. She is very knowledgeable about the Tuscany countryside and Florence. Moreover, she has a degree in art history and is a licensed guide. She accompanied us in to the Academy gallery and gave us in depth explanations of Michaelangelo's works, especially the "David". Her colleague, Marco Secci, also has a degree in art history and led us through the Uffizi gallery to point out important details of Botticelli, and other important works.

You can contact at Paola at

http://www.florencetour.com

info@florencetour.com

and Marco Secci at

m.secci@tuscanytours.it

I recommend them both highly because I know you'll be really pleased with the tours they offer.

Bev

My AAA office now offers euros to their customers without a service charge. I'm not sure if all branches have them or how the exchange rate compares to other sources, but it is convenient.

Bev, How long was your tour? Did you have time to visit and/or shop at the stops? We're considering a 4-5hr tour, St. Paul De Vence-Monaco-Monte Carlo and ending in Nice, do you think there's someplace else that's not to be missed.

BTW, we are booked with Michel and still finalizing the details.

Thanks ,

Becky

Hi there

My husband and I together with our 17 year old son have just booked this ship for 18th August to the Med, and I am worried sick that I have done the wrong thing here. I am dreading that there wont be any other english older teens on board. What is your honest opinion please!

I will try and answer some of the questions posed by my start to this thread, hope this applies to some of you.

1. Two formal nights on our itinerary, I believe 2 semi-formal, rest casual. We were bumped to very late - 9:30 seating due to a large company group on the ship - this was too late for us - we expressed our dismay to head waiter and after two nights changed to 7 p.m. - one night ate in Windjammer when we had late arrival from tour.

2. Ours was a 7 day itinerary, only one for the Brilliance so some ports we did not go to.

3. We used Sylvie for Villefranche, Daniele for Driver in Rome, Tony for Walkamalfi, Alessandro for Livorno, all very different but all very good, please e-mail me Jkeith0321@aol.com for further info on how to contact them. All reported increased travel and business for this summer, and many days are booked.

4. There were plenty of teenagers aboard our ship, even toddlers, every one was well-behaved and seemed to have a great time. Since we were on private tours, did not see much of them during the day, they were around the ship at night but not a problem.

5. We used the "bus touristic" hop-on, hop-off bus in Barcelona, cable car, subway, and walked alot! We were there 2 days prior and one day after trip. Did not use a private tour service in Barcelona so have no recommendations on private driver.

6. We stayed at the hotel Expo by the main train depot, definitely not a 4 star, probably 2, but very clean and certainly very helpful with me calling AMEX to get money from ATM when discovered mine was not working - my bank said VISA still ok if on your ATM, still would get many Euros at airport if possible rather than to take a chance. I had called my credit card companies prior to leaving also.

7. One more item - be prepared for random security check on way out of Barcelona - this will happen when you go to check in - we were on Delta flight. You will be required to remove ALL items out of your suitcases to be checked and have to re-pack. This is not fun, but with increased security risk now days, we tried to make the best of it. It appears about 1 in 5 are pulled, so much for taking the time to pack to go home.

This board has helped in my travels so if there is anything else I can provide assistance on - please let me know.

Becky,

I'm still a little confused with regard to this credit card problem. Why don't the ATM machines accept the the credit cards with the logo? How can you get a credit without the PIN #?

The only thing I can think of is using your Credit card at a restaurant and them someone using the number to purchase items over the telephone.

Can you clarify for me? It's hard to think like a criminal.

Thanks,

Maria

I've posted this before, but who knows where it is :/..........Be very careful with the ATM card with the credit card logo!! It's much easier to dispute a charge on your credit card than to get your $$$ back into your bank account if someone uses your cc#. REMEMBER: YOU DON'T NEED A PIN # IF YOU USE THE CARD FOR CREDIT! You don't want your bank account drained while on vacation, better to have seperate cards 1-ATM and 1- credit card.

Bruin Steve, Great tips, I've heard though that they'll cut a belt pack right off before you know it. Is that true?? I don't want to carry a purse but need something to carry essentials in.

Becky

Archived