Just returned...some tips for your Med cruise

Wow, I called Mastercard today. They acted like I was crazy when I said travelers were saying that they could not use the cash machines. Anyone know how to get any information on this? I have time since we do not leave until October, but my ATM card is a Mastercard with the Cirrus network.

Thanks for any help!

We returned from Millie on June 14. We had a MC logo and used "Plus" ATMs. I don't know when MC may have changed their policy. We did have trouble with some of the machines, but weren't sure why. Also some of the machines wouldn't let us take out more than 250E.

Someone else posted about not needing a pin when using the debit. The only time we didn't need to use a pin was when we were purchasing items in a store or paying our restaurant bill.

BTW, we did see someone's card get eaten by a machine.

Happy Sailing!

We returned from Millie on June 14. We had a MC logo and used "Plus" ATMs. I don't know when MC may have changed their policy. We did have trouble with some of the machines, but weren't sure why. Also some of the machines wouldn't let us take out more than 250E.

Someone else posted about not needing a pin when using the debit. The only time we didn't need to use a pin was when we were purchasing items in a store or paying our restaurant bill.

BTW, we did see someone's card get eaten by a machine.

Happy Sailing!

Interesting! I thought only the Visa cards used the Plus network. I am considering opening a new checking account with a different bank-Wells Fargo-that uses the Visa logo. That way we will have a choice, plus an extra card in case we need more cash in one day than our limit allows! Wells Fargo also gets Euro in the US for only a $6.50 fee if you have an account with them. I am so glad I have time to consider all of this before our sailing.

Thanks

hello everyone,

With our med cruise coming up in a few weeks I've also been trying to figure out the best money solution.

Evidently, AAA has a (relatively) new AAA cash passport card; sponsored by VISA, anyone know anything about this?

You simply deposit funds with AAA specifically for a short period (your trip) and Voila! So they say...

Let me know,

Thanks!

Check out the fees first before you get excited about this card. They advertise "no annual fee", but look further:

Purchase fee: $4.95

Second card: $2.00

ATM Withdrawal Fee: $2 Intl; $2.50 Domestic

Cash Advance Fee at Bank: $10

Cash Out fee: $15

Online Balance Inquiry: Free

Phone Balance Inquiry: .50

Orders Under $500: Shipping = $7

There are more fees, these are just the most pertinent. No thanks, I think I'll use my bank card.

Hello Vssy - I was reading your posting on this board and I noticed that at the end you added a "Roll Call" link. Can you share with me how you were able to do that?

Mixx - yes I am trying "desperately" to get others to join the roll call with us even though we're sailing out next month...can't say I haven't tried ! :)

Appreciate your help Vssy...

Hello Vssy - I was reading your posting on this board and I noticed that at the end you added a "Roll Call" link. Can you share with me how you were able to do that?

Mixx - yes I am trying "desperately" to get others to join the roll call with us even though we're sailing out next month...can't say I haven't tried ! :)

Appreciate your help Vssy...

Hey, I searched around a while to figure it out. Everytime I thought I had it, something was off.

First you need to find your Roll Call message on that board. Put your cursor under the link and it will show a thread. Mine is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44384

Write down your message number, mine is 44384

Go to the Edit Signature area of the user control panel (User CP).

Type the name of your ship, then your sail date, then a space, then type Roll Call, then a couple of spaces,

then type a bracket[then type thread=Number of your thread, then type an end bracket]then type Click space Me!then type another bracket[then type a back slash/then type the word thread then type an end bracket]. Now is that clear as mud? It is very hard to explain here because if I type it in this message, it always shows up like a roll call link. So I will type each thing in a column, but you will need to type it straight across one line! Do not put any spaces anywhere between your first and last bracket except between Click & Me!

[

thread=44384

]

Click Me!

[

/

thread

]

If you can't get it, post your email and I will send the form in a text message to your email address!

Another tip I have picked up is one to allow me to look at 100 posts at one time instead of 25. When you open a topic like Europe, go up to the address area and add &pp=100 at the end of the link then hit enter. You will then have 100 posts to one page.

Hope this helps!

Claudia,

We are on Star Princess departing Barcelona on Sept 13. We visit Gibraltar, Morroco, Cannes, Valetta, Messina, Naples, Florence and Rome. Your advice re guides would be appreciated.

David

Claudia,

We are on Star Princess departing Barcelona on Sept 13. We visit Gibraltar, Morroco, Cannes, Valetta, Messina, Naples, Florence and Rome. Your advice re guides would be appreciated.

David

Valerie - you're awesome...it seems to work! Now, I hope others will see my Roll Call and join in ! Good luck with your Roll Call...

BTW, I also tried the 100 posts suggestion and that's pretty cool.

Thanks Valerie.

Hi there

My husband and I together with our 17 year old son have just booked this ship for 18th August to the Med, and I am worried sick that I have done the wrong thing here. I am dreading that there wont be any other english older teens on board. What is your honest opinion please!

I think he won't have any problem meeting other teens, but....

This itinerary is VERY port intensive and it's likely your son will be very tired after them!

David,

We were on the Royal Princess in May and went to some of the spots you are talking about. We only used one private guide (Florence) that was booked through Danielle Driverinrome, but we got farmed out to someone else (had a GREAT time going to Pisa and Florence). Anyway I just had to tell you that Gibralter is AWESOME, you do not need a guide for Gibralter or a ships tour for that matter. We took the shuttle bus to the main street and walked to the cable car (a taxi straight from the ship to the bottom of the cable cars would have been better), took the cable car up to the top and saw the most amazing views of "the rock" and Spain and Africa. We then walked down the roadway on our own past tons of ape's to St. Michaels cave which was pretty neat, then walked to the ape's den and caught the cable car at the half-way point to go back down. When we were there the fort and stuff was closed for repairs so we did not go over there. If that sounds too adventurous, there were tons of taxis for hire that would drive you to the top and to all the spots worth seeing.

When we were done with the cable car we took our time walking down the main shopping street and actually walked all the way back to the ship since we wanted to stop at the Safeway market to stock up on water and stuff.

If you are talking about Casablanca for Morocco, I doubt you will find a private guide beforehand. There were plenty of taxis available to hire for the day and we met several couples who did the city on their own and saw much of the same stuff we saw on the city tour. We just wern't up to being THAT adventurous in Casablanca and were glad we took the ships tour. Have a great time.

Tammy

If you are only want an ATM card, ask your bank for one that has no Visa or MC logo. They will look at you like you are crazy at first, but they will do it for you. That way if it is lost/stolen, it can't be used as a regular debit card without your PIN, like some Visa/MC logo debit cards can.

Then also ask them to put note in your account about when you will be out of country, just like your credit cards.

Maria,

My personal experience has forced me to choose to not use an ATM card with a credit card logo, the ATM's do accept them, though.

You're right, (you do think a little like a criminal ;) ) someome gets your # from a legitimate purchase you've made, and then the criminal uses it to make purchases by phone or as a credit card.... the money is immediately transferred from your account. It happened to us, almost $3000 gone in 2 days, didn't realize it until the bank called to see if I wanted to transfer funds from my savings account to cover checks coming through my checking account. If this card had not been attached to my ATM (checking acct.) I would have received a statement from the cc company and been able to dispute the charges (the reason the cc companies so graciously have offered there services attached to your $$$). Instead the money was GONE!! Took 2-3 weeks to get the money returned to my account provisionally and a few months to make it permanent. If I had been in Europe when this happened it would have been a disaster!!! I now only have a traditional ATM with a pin# and a seperate credit card. My fear now is that the ATM's in Europe may only accept cards with a cc logo :eek:

Hope that wasn't too confusing...gets me fired up everytime I think about it !

Becky

We will be joining Star Princess in two weeks. We have private tours booked for Rome, Athens, Kusadasi. We have seen many reviews about these locals.

Rome: [email="marinarome@libero.it"]marinarome@libero.it[/email]
Athens: [email="Spirostours@yahoo.com"]Spirostours@yahoo.com[/email]
Kusadasi: [url="http://www.shorexturkey.co.nr"]www.shorexturkey.co.nr[/url]

[quote name='sippin-time']Valerie - you're awesome...it seems to work! Now, I hope others will see my Roll Call and join in ! Good luck with your Roll Call...

BTW, I also tried the 100 posts suggestion and that's pretty cool.

Thanks Valerie.[/QUOTE]

I am just so glad it worked for you. Good luck with your Roll Call as well!

Archived