I really want to go to alaska

uscunc

I've only been on 1 3 day bahamas cruise so i'm kinda a newbie.

I really want to go on a cruise to Alaska in summer of 2007!:)

So I'm looking for information on all aspects of the trip. Cruise lines, itineraries, departure cities, etc.

I've seen HAL Cruises mentioned a lot.

I use a wheelchair but I can still walk a few yards without it. Should i gate-check the chair?

I need lots of help.

I want to do my homework before i talk to a travel agent.

Thanks ;)

Hi uscunc,

My husband is disabled. We went to Alaska on Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas in August,2001. We were both in great health then. He had his stroke in November of 2001 and we have done four cruises since then. I'm not an expert, but

here are my thoughts:

If you can, book a balcony. It's so beautiful to watch Alaska float by on the Inside Passage. If you're tired, you can still enjoy it from your cabin.

He wasn't disabled in Alaska, but since then we've sailed to the Caribbean, to South America, Hawaii and the Mexican Riviera.

We use a fold-up wheelchair and a scooter (he's hard to push and he has so much more independence).

We bring both to the door of the plane and check it there. (as everyone here told us to do).

He is a slow walker with foot and balance problems. Needs a scooter or wheelchair when the ship is rocking.

We needed LOTS of help. First, search this disabled thread to find answers, then ask about what you can't find.

HAL is great and so is Celebrity, but we'd sail on any ship that is large and easy to move around on. Check out the Alaska thread on the ports section.

Good luck and ask away!!:D

We went to Alaska on Princess the last time, but my parents have done both Princess and HAL and prefer the latter. I would agree based on a couple things:

HAL ships nearly all have a Crow's Nest bar, which is at the top forward of the ship. they have big picture windows and are the perfect place to sit and look at the view on either sea days or days in port when you are not ashore. Princess and RCCL ships don't have a similar setting that works well for wheelchairs or is not smoky. We find balconies too windy and cool in Alaska, and prefer to spend most of the time outside our cabin either reading or enjoying activities and visiting with people.

HAL ships (most) have a tender lift that works pretty well. On the other hand, you have to wait until everyone else is off the ship to get to it unless you create a stink, so Princes and RCCL may win out on this one. Keep in mind that HAL has TWO classes of accessible cabins. The first does not have a roll-in shower (a tub with grab bars instead) and have smaller floor space. If you cannot walk or stand, then you need to ask for the cabins that have a roll-in shower.

All 3 have good accessible cabins. The Island Princess does Alaska, and while we have not been on her for Alaska, we have taken her RT to Hawaii twice and thought the accessiblity was excellent. The only "down" side was that the pool lift had been removed. I believe the Island had over 25 accessible cabins, which also beats out the few they have on most HAL ships. RCCL has pool lifts dependably, but I have never seen on on HAL. In Alaska it is nice to be able to get into the hot tub, or the indoor pool, although certainly not required.

Skagway, Juneau and Sitka are our favorite ports. We were able to get accessible shore excursions in these areas. I would look for a cruise that does Glacier Bay over Tracey Arm...the first is much more spectacular. There is a limit on the number of cruise ships they allow in Glacier Bay National Park daily, so many ships do not include that location. Vancouver was an easy town for embarkation and disembarkation, and it was easy to get a wheelchair cab to/from the airport there.

Definately either gate-check your wheelchair, or if it is a small folding chair, ask to have it stored in the cabin. American planes are required to provide space for one compact wheelchair in the cabin. They may be resistant (cabin attendants often have their luggage there) but you do have the right to do this unless another wheelchair user got there first.

Hi Splinter,

:D The reason I loved the balcony was that it was 80 degrees every day and not rainy at all. We used the balcony alot. I have pictures of my husband standing on Mendenhall glacier in shorts(he forgot his long pants!)

If you can, take a helicopter tour. I'm not sure which ones are accessible.

I, too, was wondering how it will be on an Alaska cruise. I'm booked to go in less than two weeks. I can walk, slowly, but tire easily and have a breathing problem. My biggest concern is that the shore excursions might be longer than I can manage. But we can't let our limitations stop us!

I am disabled from Fibromyalgia and have had two heart attacks and have an ongoing heart problem.

I am only 44 years old and looking at me you would think "Ok he is overweight but nothing else looks wrong".

I not only survived Alaska last year quite well but am so thankful that I did the trip that I have wanted to almost as long as I can remember.

If you want to go to Alaska...GO!!!! Do it at your own pace and set your own limits. :D

Archived