Vancouver Info if needed

First, your comments are amazing so thank you, in advance, for all your insights. We'll be staying in VC for 4 days after our cruise. We have a 9 year old, a few older relatives and another family with us who have children.

For the kids, we know about the science museum, Granville Island, IMAX, and the aquarium. We're staying at the Four Seasons. What else would kids like to do? We love the idea of taking the trolley that drops you on and off all day and we plan on doing the trolley in Stanley Park so we can acclimate ourselves to the Park.

We will be taking a whale watch in Juneau but I can't get enough of the Orcas, as I'm from the east coast and we don't have any of them here. Would a whale watch be a good idea and do you know of any good companies?

Thanks, again.

You don't say how long you will be here....If you can get to do those things you mention with the kids you won;t need anything else time wise for days ..All are great

Whale trips out of Vancouver proper are limited because it takes so long to get to whale territory. Check on the Price of Whales website. They now have trips to Vancouver Island and return with Whales in mind but are Pricey.

Whale tours are also run out of Richmond out where the airport is. Old fishing village called Steveston. The village is interesting with an old cannery museum . Several outfits run out of there visiting local pods that are usually in the area. Steveston http://www.steveston.bc.ca/activities.html

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency hotel before my cruise. Is there a grocery store nearby that I can pick up a case of pop before I board my cruise. If so, where is it located

Probably the easiest and quickest place for you to find is the London Drugs at the corner of Georgia and Granville Streets. It is a huge drug/convenience store with just about everything, including cases of pop.

It is 3 blocks east (away from the Stanley Park direction) of the Hyatt.

FYI: the Hyatt is at the corner of Georgia and Burrard.

As pointed out in another thread there is now a Rexall drug store right in the Royal center mall which is adjacent to the Hyatt and they often have specials on pop etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I just got back from an Alaska cruise, and stayed the first night at the Pacific Palisades Hotel in Vancouver. I would definately recommend staying there. Its right on Robson Street and has a great restuarant "Zen". Complimentary wine tasting every night between 5 and 6!

Host Dan

We will be staying one day and night post cruise in Vancouver. We are looking forward to it and will have our two grandchildren ages 13 and 15 with us. We would like to find a hotel that is moderately priced (after that expensive cruise) to just sleep. Any suggestions? Thanks

We will be staying one day and night post cruise in Vancouver. We are looking forward to it and will have our two grandchildren ages 13 and 15 with us. We would like to find a hotel that is moderately priced (after that expensive cruise) to just sleep. Any suggestions? Thanks
Don't sleep too much while in Vancouver! IMO, the real highlights of our Alaska cruise vacation were at the start and end of the trip: Vancouver and Seward. With only a slight bit of exaggeration, if you must sleep, do it on the cruise! :)

Host Dan

Please could you give me some more details about the Pacific Palisades Hotel.I went on trip advisor and felt the reviews were very good so booked this hotel for our post cruise stay next June.We have decided to stay for one week in Vancouver and I felt the hotel I chose and its position in relation to access to transport and all the tourist attractions was vital.Once booked I went on yahoo where the reviews were awful for this hotel,people were stating that the corridors are dark and dingy lifts very small,furnishings looking very tired,decor in need of attention but worst of all dogs barking all night,as I understand this hotel allows dogs.Is any of this true? I thought of cancelling my booking and book the Hyatt or Marriott.What do you think?

For anyone else reading this your opinions would also be appreciated.I just want a good hotel in the centre of Vancouver and money is not the real issue.

Less than two weeks to go!! I'm making my final preparations for our trip and am looking for some suggestions. We're arriving two days early and taking a LandSea tour of the city during that time. On the day (Saturday) we arrive back from our cruise (at Ballantyne pier), we have a 2:30 p.m. flight. There's obviously no rush to disembark but they will kick us off eventually. Any thoughts on what we should do for the morning? Don't forget: we'll have luggage! I'm not keen on spending five or six hours at the airport nor am I interested in a ship excursion.

Added: Apparently there are taxi problems at the Ballantyne pier. Some posters have noted waits of several hours for a cab. Perhaps I should take the ship transfer to the airport. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

hi shoppie

we will be in vancouver the 3rd thru the 5th for our cruise , we are staying at the blue horizon on robson st , we will be arriving from seattle amtrak to vancouver amtrak and were wondering how far is it to the hotel from the station and what types of transportation would be the best for us , also is the cruise terminal far from the hotel ?

i appreciate any info

thanks Denise

Less than two weeks to go!! I'm making my final preparations for our trip and am looking for some suggestions. We're arriving two days early and taking a LandSea tour of the city during that time. On the day (Saturday) we arrive back from our cruise (at Ballantyne pier), we have a 2:30 p.m. flight. There's obviously no rush to disembark but they will kick us off eventually. Any thoughts on what we should do for the morning? Don't forget: we'll have luggage! I'm not keen on spending five or six hours at the airport nor am I interested in a ship excursion.

Added: Apparently there are taxi problems at the Ballantyne pier. Some posters have noted waits of several hours for a cab. Perhaps I should take the ship transfer to the airport. Any thoughts on that?

You won't really have that much time to do anything, since you should be at the airport by about 12:30 pm; and you'll also need to allow time to get there (another 30 mins. or so).

The main problem, as I see it, is that you'll have your luggage and that you've already done an overall city tour pre-cruise.

My best suggestion:

Head out to the airport early anyways and store your bags (downstairs, Arrivals level); then head over to the Globe@YVR restaurant at the Fairmont Hotel YVR (adjacent to International Departures, up one level) and have a nice leisurely lunch/brunch . It's quite good and the surroundings are relaxing.

My reasoning: If you get off the ship with the last group of passengers, it may already be 9:30 or 10 a.m.? Add another 30 minutes to get to the airport = 10:30; drop off bags in storage = 10:45; then brunch = 11:00 to 12:30; then voila, check-in time!

:)

We'll be in Vancouver for one day pre-cruise in a couple of weeks. I noticed that the Fringe Festival will be taking place at the same time on Granville Island. How much more crowded will it be during the festival? Should we avoid the Island all together?

Also, we arrive mid-morning (9:30ish) on a Friday. How long should we expect it to take us to get through customs, get our luggage, find transportation, and get to our hotel in the west end? Is noon-time, being too optimistic?? We're hoping to go to both Stanley Park and Granville Island after we check in at our hotel.

Thanks in advance.

What a great suggestion! I had been thinking it might be nice to at least go somewhere for a late breakfast. Eating breakfast on the morning of debarkation is never a relaxed, enjoyable meal. The diningroom and Windjammer are packed, and all I think about are the upcoming difficulties of getting off the ship (the elevator problems alone are enough to give me an upset stomach), getting through customs and getting to the airport. I thought we might grab something light onboard and then eat somewhere in the city, but the luggage was the problem.

Thanks!

Karen

Stanley Park would be the easiest for you to do if you are staying in the West end as their is a free hop on hop off bus service in the park until September 23

Here's a link to it:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

There are a couple of threads currently being discussed about Granville Island so I won't repeat that information here.

Which hotel are you staying at so i can give you directions to the free bus.

Cheers

Dennis

Stanley Park would be the easiest for you to do if you are staying in the West end as their is a free hop on hop off bus service in the park until September 23

Here's a link to it:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

There are a couple of threads currently being discussed about Granville Island so I won't repeat that information here.

Which hotel are you staying at so i can give you directions to the free bus.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi urban trekker....I know you are answering someone else's question, but I am interested in the same thing. We will be staying at the Blue Horizon on Robson St, and were wondering how far that is from Stanley park. We are also considering renting bicycles for a few hours, and seeing the park that way in the afterernoon, after going to Capilano Bridge in the morning.

Thanks for your help!

Just wondering how the renovations are going in Stanley Park. We'll be there Sept. 14-15 and are interested in the seawall. Also, we're staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson - how far is that from the park?

Thanks,

Susan and Neil

Was just up there Aug 1st and they are slowely but surely plugging along on the repairs (over 10,000 trees came down in the storm). The seawall between Lions Gate bridge and 2nd beach (I think it was 2nd) is still closed. The free hop on/off trolley does a great 45 minute loop.

It is six miles or 10km around the park - all but about a mile is open and you can easily follow the detour signs around them - the repair work is continuing and it looks funny to see logging trails taking away some of the damage trees going down some of the main streets in Vancouver - work has been slowed down by a city workers strike and rainy weather earlier in the summer - it now looks like late fall or perhaps Christmas before it is opened - they need to secure the slopes first before they fix the trails - looking at the seawall from the Lions Gate Bridge the other day you can still see the debris over the seawall.

For those staying at the Blue Horizon you are about seven blocks to the park entrance - there are several bike rental shops near the entrance and it is a great way to tour the park as you have your own path separate from cars and peds - and if you need to use the road - cyclists have the right away.

For the Hampton Inn - you are quiet a distance away from the park but if you were planning to use the shuttle you could still walk to the park 1.5 to 2 miles - just head straight down Robson.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis - Thanks for the great info. Which shuttle were you referring to - the hotel or the park? I know the Hampton Inn provides a shuttle for any location in the downtown area. If we decided to take their shuttle, are there cabs available for the ride back to the hotel?

Thanks,

Susan

It would be the park shuttle - doubtful there would be any taxis waiting at the shuttle stops but if you get off at the Lost Lagoon stop you are a short walk to the Westin Bayshore where they should be lots of cabs available.

Perhaps the Hampton would be dropping off someone later in the day and you might be able to get them to come and pick you up or perhaps a good US greenback might get them to help you out.

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

I have browsed through this thread, and the info has been wonderful. So kind of those of you who are there and really know to share your knowledge.

Now, I have a question, that if it has been answered, I missed the answer, so please bear with me. We are doing a 14 day cruise on Princess round trip from Vancouver next spring, and unlike most others, we are driving from California. Does anyone know of a hotel (or hotels) that offer park/cruise packages, where we could feel safe leaving our car for two weeks?

As an alternative, where would we park otherwise, and does anyone have any idea about how much it would cost?

We leave on May 29th, so are rather early in the season, from what I can see, but we're sure looking forward to it.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I have browsed through this thread, and the info has been wonderful. So kind of those of you who are there and really know to share your knowledge.

Now, I have a question, that if it has been answered, I missed the answer, so please bear with me. We are doing a 14 day cruise on Princess round trip from Vancouver next spring, and unlike most others, we are driving from California. Does anyone know of a hotel (or hotels) that offer park/cruise packages, where we could feel safe leaving our car for two weeks?

As an alternative, where would we park otherwise, and does anyone have any idea about how much it would cost?

We leave on May 29th, so are rather early in the season, from what I can see, but we're sure looking forward to it.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I am not aware of any hotel "Downtown" that would do that. Some Airport hotels will allow you a week or even two. The one that I would recommend and have used myself is the Delta River Inn (just double check that name cause I think they may have changed it) They have a park and fly rate so I'm sure if you stayed there the night before your cruise (and night after?) They could see their way to allow that also. You would need a taxi or limo to the dock on embarkation and return.

We have also used "Cruise Park" and the Parking lot right under Canada Place. Cruise Park is never a sure thing from one year to the next depending on construction but both places work well. 2 weeks run you about $250.00 however I would think.

FYI Plan your border crossing for a morning as early as you are comfortable with Pm start to jam up especially on the weekends. You miss our holiday weekend. Yours?