Vancouver Info if needed

Looking for recommendations of best hotel location for a couple of days in Vancouver.

We will be arriving by VIA rail mid Oct and my friends may have to manage on their own in Vancouver and to the airport. (I've discovered my direct flights are either a couple of days before or after their booked flights.)

Is there now light rail (?) from the port to the airport, as they would enjoy Vancouver's beautiful harbour and port activity?

In addition, my friend is a shopper! :)

Yes, there's a subway line from downtown (3 blocks from Canada Place) to the airport. Also a subway/elevated line that passes by the VIA station right into downtown (1/2 block from Canada Place)

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.237552,-123.0019&spn=0.177538,0.528374&z=12

Yes, there's a subway line from downtown (3 blocks from Canada Place) to the airport. Also a subway/elevated line that passes by the VIA station right into downtown (1/2 block from Canada Place)

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.237552,-123.0019&spn=0.177538,0.528374&z=12

Thanks. That will be handy.

• 3 months later...

Four of us booked a "north shore" van tour of P.E.I. with "Horizon Tours". "Gus", The owner/operator puts together a great tour of the central area of P.E.I. He took us around in a private van stopping at some interesting places. As we are here after the end of the "resort season", we had very light traffic and the stops we made were quiet and, except for the "Green Gables" house, completely empty of tourists. Our first stop was a potato and pumpkin farm, then we drove to a mussel growing site and processing plant and fishing pier. Next we visited a goat soap factory, followed by a stop at the "red cliffs" on the north shore. Along the way we saw some great scenery and even spotted two wild foxes, a silver fox and a red fox. Unfortunately, they disappeared before we could get our cameras out. Our final stop was a visit to the "Ann of Green Gables" house before returning to town past some beautiful foliage. The tour lasted four hours, but Gus will make the tour as long as you want ,and charges $50 per hour for the van which will hold up to 6 passengers. We wanted to have lunch at "Flex" for mussels but it is now closed and boarded up. So we had a tasty lunch at "Claddagh Pub". I can heartily recommend this excursion option to anyone wanting a good overview of the island.

Thank you so much for posting this. I live just across the water from PEI and go there often. I was there a few weeks ago and saw how almost everything is shut down by October. But the great scenery and local life are of course still there and Gus' tour sounds great.

We were also on PEI about 10 days ago and loved this most beautiful island. Stayed 2 nights @ the "Great George" in Charlottetown and it was the best-walked 2 blocks from there for lovely seafood meals. Never had read the "Anne of Green Gables" series when I was growing-up but after visiting the homestead and watching the 1st two episodes of the movie while on the bus I found it a delightful treat. We visited the red cliffs on a particularly windy day but our tour group were the only ones there on the deserted beaches and it was wonderful. If you haven't been to the Canadian Maritimes I thoroughly recommend a trip to the area...Valerie

• 1 month later...

Hello all the posters who have contributed to this thread over the past year....I have been busy on 4 roll calls, taken a MEX-RIV cruise 2 weeks ago and have just been generally busy playing at least 3 rounds of golf a week so haven't had much in the way of time to do a lot of posting. One of our sons, our DDIL and 2 DGC are flying down to spend a sunny Christmas with us in AZ on Wednesday so I wanted to drop in and wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and we will reconnect in late January when we return from the Caribbean.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just wasting some time here and see that the Vancouver's 2011 Cruise Sked is pretty much in place, just not in PDF format yet. Based on a very cursory glance it would seem appear that all the ships will be using Canada Place except for one repositioning in May and 3 in September....and I think one of them is one of ours. :mad:

Will worry about that later....just about to blow this Popsicle stand and head for sin city then off to FLL tomorrow morning.

Wow, what a wealth of information! Thank you all for posting such great information. I do have a question that I didn't see here:

I'll be arriving Vancouver on May 7th (2011) and staying (with hubby) only overnight prior to a cruise. I hope to not pay more than $100 AND stay Downtown. (I know, I know, but I've made these things happen before lol). Anyhow, are there any Hostels with private bathrooms in the Downtown area? I'm thinking hostels because they're much cheaper.

Thank you kindly for any information

Wow, what a wealth of information! Thank you all for posting such great information. I do have a question that I didn't see here:

I'll be arriving Vancouver on May 7th (2011) and staying (with hubby) only overnight prior to a cruise. I hope to not pay more than $100 AND stay Downtown. (I know, I know, but I've made these things happen before lol). Anyhow, are there any Hostels with private bathrooms in the Downtown area? I'm thinking hostels because they're much cheaper.

Thank you kindly for any information

The YWCA in Vancouver is pretty inexpensive, and wedged right in the middle of a couple of better hotels, not a shoddy neighbourhood at all. About 8 blocks from the cruise terminal, and 1½ blocks from Skytrain

http://www.ywcahotel.com/content/Daily_Rates/313/42/312/Daily_Rates/964/56/

The YWCA in Vancouver is pretty inexpensive, and wedged right in the middle of a couple of better hotels, not a shoddy neighbourhood at all. About 8 blocks from the cruise terminal, and 1½ blocks from Skytrain

http://www.ywcahotel.com/content/Daily_Rates/313/42/312/Daily_Rates/964/56/

We use the Blue Horizon Hotel in Vancouver...works well for us!

Dean;)

I plugged in your arrival date May 7, 2011 into Hotwire and it is showing a 4 star in downtown - probably the Hyatt which is a good hotel in a great location as it is frequently offered on Hotwire for $124 a night

Have you tried betterbidding.com - it can give you a pretty good idea of what hotel you might be getting.

I was a little unsure of this service until I used it myself this past fall and got some great hotel rates in Boston and NOLA

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dennis

When I look at the rates at the Y for a double with a private bath I think that I would be inclined to see what I could find on Priceline at the 3 star level.

Agreed, Im sure there's a bunch of hotels available on Priceline for less

Most ships will have a tour that does exactly what you are looking for.....leave the dock and get you to the airport for a later fllight. Your luggage will go with you.

There is also storage at Canada Place if you wish to go on your own. There are hop on/off tours from the front of Canada Place.

May could be very nice and warmish or not..sorry no guarantees

I plugged in your arrival date May 7, 2011 into Hotwire and it is showing a 4 star in downtown - probably the Hyatt which is a good hotel in a great location as it is frequently offered on Hotwire for $124 a night

Have you tried betterbidding.com - it can give you a pretty good idea of what hotel you might be getting.

I was a little unsure of this service until I used it myself this past fall and got some great hotel rates in Boston and NOLA

Dennis

I have never used this service either and am a little afraid. They show downtown west and downtown entertainment district. Which is better? We'll be there 2 days post-cruise to see the sights. :confused:

I have never used this service either and am a little afraid. They show downtown west and downtown entertainment district. Which is better? We'll be there 2 days post-cruise to see the sights. :confused:

Go Downtown-West, the entertainment district can be nosiy and a bit seedy at night.