Vancouver Info if needed

I am thinking of booking Super8 in East Marine Drive It has the free shuttles and breakfast and a good price.

Can you advise how acceptable the location is for the cruise ship and other things like restaurants (budget) Thanks

I am thinking of booking Super8 in East Marine Drive It has the free shuttles and breakfast and a good price.

Can you advise how acceptable the location is for the cruise ship and other things like restaurants (budget) Thanks

It's an older hotel that has flown the flag of many brands over the years. The price is about as good as you are going to find in Vancouver but you will need to add the cost of a taxi to or from Canada Place and that will run about $25, the hotel is located in the south extremity of Vancouver. There are a number of ethnic and fast food restaurants in the area.

You have lots of time and may care to watch Hotwire and Priceline for a closer in hotel.

It's an older hotel that has flown the flag of many brands over the years. The price is about as good as you are going to find in Vancouver but you will need to add the cost of a taxi to or from Canada Place and that will run about $25, the hotel is located in the south extremity of Vancouver. There are a number of ethnic and fast food restaurants in the area.

You have lots of time and may care to watch Hotwire and Priceline for a closer in hotel.

Thank you If I were to try Priceline or Hotwire what area/s and what star rating should I be trying for Thanks

Thank you If I were to try Priceline or Hotwire what area/s and what star rating should I be trying for Thanks

You would want to be looking in the downtown area and at about the 2 to 3* level to stay anywhere close to your budget. Vancouver's downtown area is very compact and with rare exception you will be within a mile of Canada Place. Often you can get within 6 blocks or so of a Canada Line station which will save you a cab fare from YVR. If you watch Hotwire you can often get some excellent deals but you have to remain diligent.

Not great, it's a long way from downtown (not far from the airport). If you're OK with public transportation the 100 bus (to Marine Dr Station) followed by the Skytrain Canada Line will get you downtown pretty quickly (and inexpensively). If you're looking at taxis it's probably a $20-30 taxi ride into downtown depending on traffic.

If you're looking for an alternate vs downtown itself, look at the city hall area (Broadway @ Cambie). Or look for an inexpensive downtown hotel/hostel like the YWCA Hotel (which is really quite good)

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this was asked/answered before (long post :) -- but the one time we departed from Canada Place (there were 3 ships in port so it was a zoo) we had to enter the hotel, take an elevator just to get into the cruise terminal (we were there in the morning, so all the people debarking were bumping into the new people wanted to board). We're sailing out of there again later this year and wondered if there is another way to enter the terminal (other than going into the hotel and taking an elevator)? We saw the parking lot entrance, but couldn't see a pedestrian walkway? Is there one?

Not sure if this was asked/answered before (long post :) -- but the one time we departed from Canada Place (there were 3 ships in port so it was a zoo) we had to enter the hotel, take an elevator just to get into the cruise terminal (we were there in the morning, so all the people debarking were bumping into the new people wanted to board). We're sailing out of there again later this year and wondered if there is another way to enter the terminal (other than going into the hotel and taking an elevator)? We saw the parking lot entrance, but couldn't see a pedestrian walkway? Is there one?

There is a sidewalk next to the car ramp going down. It is on the left side, though it gets narrow at some points with the cement support pillars.

I doubt there is an easy way to get to the Security without bumping into the off pax other than Being dropped into the Cruise level by someone or even taxi. Those of us that park of course just come UP an elevator right inside the Security hall.

SO you could take an elevator from inside the hotel that goes directly to the Cruise level which would put you onto the same level as the ramp which is mentioned in post above but that wouldn't help all that much.

OR you could take that elevator down more.... to parking below the cruise level and then walk to the middle elevator in the parking garage and take it UP to the cruise level. It's the same distance to walk

If you get on the right elevator it takes you to the Security Hall of the cruise level. (middle elevator only). You then would have to take your bags just outside the hall to whichever Line of Handlers are loading your ship.

Either way you have to drop your baggage to the correct ship's area.

I looked on line for physical map but can not locate one for the Canada place inside elevators sorry.

Street level elevator from the hotel is on the right hand wall of the main entrance do not take escalators up. Ask bellmen or the nice ladies at the info desk for directions to the parking elevator.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I actually watched the whole game and "After Hours" last night....normally I have been turning off the TV and going to bed at 10. :) and that is MST, 9 PST. However, as AZ does not observe daylight savings, we are back on the same time, DW figures some little man slid down the chimney last night and adjusted the clock on the Shaw Direct receiver.;))

Looking at Celebrity cruise on Millennium with stay at this hotel for June 18 and 19, 2014. Best way and cheapest to get to port on the 20th?

Also, best city tour for the 19th again the best and cheapest.

Thank for your advice.

Looking at Celebrity cruise on Millennium with stay at this hotel for June 18 and 19, 2014. Best way and cheapest to get to port on the 20th?

Thank for your advice.

Best way to port; taxi, under $10

Cheapest way to port; walk, it's 5 blocks (likely faster than calling for a taxi)

Thank for your advice.

If you can handle all of you luggage it is a pretty easy downhill, short 6 block walk to the Canada Place cruise facility....otherwise a cab fare with tip will run you about $10.

Does anyone know where I can find information on the restaurants in the food court --- I think it is near Canada Place --- I know there is a McDonald's there. I am specifically looking for the operation times for a small little diner that is near the stairwell and McDonalds.

Does anyone know where I can find information on the restaurants in the food court --- I think it is near Canada Place --- I know there is a McDonald's there. I am specifically looking for the operation times for a small little diner that is near the stairwell and McDonalds.

This is the page listing all food outlets inside the Waterfront Centre and here is the current floorplan (it's the closest McDs location to Canada Place, just across the road). I wouldn't describe any of the current places as a diner, but it's possible the place you're thinking of closed down since your last visit. Can you recall a name?

I think you may be referring the "Ricky's Limited " which as the name implied, provided a limited menu. However, as you can see from the link provided by Martin it is no longer there.

Putterdude, how is the Westin Grsnd? We normally stay at the Westin Coal Harbor and love it there but they didn't have any rooms available for Starwood members when we needed it. Should be pretty close to Canada Place but I better be able to find a White Spot nearby!! Love that place!!!

Cheers, Kenn

Putterdude, how is the Westin Grsnd? We normally stay at the Westin Coal Harbor and love it there but they didn't have any rooms available for Starwood members when we needed it. Should be pretty close to Canada Place but I better be able to find a White Spot nearby!! Love that place!!!

Cheers, Kenn

I have stayed at the Westin Grand and have found it to be excellent, the normal standard of what a person expects from Westin. I believe all of the rooms are suites from studios on up. The Grand is a little more central to thing than the Bayshore except for Stanley Park. However, there is not longer a Whitespot close by. The Grand is also closer to Canada Place if you want to schlep your luggage for about 15 to 20 mins you could walk otherwise a cab is going to run you about $10. For family style dining there is a Moxies almost around the corner and the nearby Rosedale has Rossie's which is a little more in the line of pub fare.

Edited by Putterdude

It was a Ricky's and it closed about a year ago, and replaced by a FatBurger (owned by the same people). Within that food court, I can recommend the Greek place over in the far corner, or the Thai Express; they seem to be a couple of the more popular outlets in there. Also for street food, there's a Mexican food truck that parks on Cordova at the corner of Howe, and a Chinese food truck that parks right next to the vehicle entrance at Canada Place (to the right of the hotel).

If you're looking for a diner breakfast, the greek guy actually does bacon and eggs in the morning, and FatBurger do it all day.

From the airport, which train do you take (and where in the airport is the station located) if you want to go to Canada Place. Then, where do you get off and about how far of a walk is it then to Canada Place.

When we arrive and board our ship, there will be 3 ships there -- on a Saturday. This will make for quite a lot of passengers getting off -- and then getting on. Canada Place will be swamped. If we are walking from the train station, do we walk down into the parking area (is that allowed?) or do we enter from the hotel elevator? Just trying to get an idea of the events of our day :)

From the airport, which train do you take (and where in the airport is the station located) if you want to go to Canada Place. Then, where do you get off and about how far of a walk is it then to Canada Place.

When we arrive and board our ship, there will be 3 ships there -- on a Saturday. This will make for quite a lot of passengers getting off -- and then getting on. Canada Place will be swamped. If we are walking from the train station, do we walk down into the parking area (is that allowed?) or do we enter from the hotel elevator? Just trying to get an idea of the events of our day :)

From the airport, all trains (the Canada Line) will head to Waterfront Station (final stop), which is where you want to get off. Exit the platform at Waterfront station using the elevator right on the platform, do NOT go down the tunnel at the opposite end of the platform, which leads the main portion of the station. This will save you some walking, plus make your walk downhill instead of uphill. This elevator will put you at the corner of Granville & W.Hasting. Turn left onto W.Hastings, walk one block, turn right and Canada place is a two block walk. To enter the cruise terminal, there is a small walkway parallel and to the left of the main car ramp leading down.

Also, don't fret when you walk past the other "Skytrain" entrance that's only 1/2 block from the cruise terminal, thinking that you've made a mistake. That entrance leads to the two other Skytrain lines (Expo & Millenium) that go elsewhere (and not to the airport). Skytrain does not imply the airport, it's called Skytrain because the bulk of the system is actually elevated elsewhere in Metro Vancouver.

At YVR you will find that directions to YVR Canada Line Station are well signed within the the airport terminal. The terminus of the Canada Line is Waterfront Station which about a 3 block walk from Canada Place. As you walk down what we call the Howe St. ramp toward Canada Place and start to bear to the left, there is a pedestrian ramp to the left of where vehicles go down into the cruise terminal....you need to look a bit for it but it is there. If in doubt there will be police on traffic control and you can ask them.

Gosh, thank you very much Scottbee and Putterdude. A most Perfect Reply! I went on youtube and saw exactly where the ramp is:

I have copied your replies and already put in my wallet. It was be easy and most pleasurable! Thanks again.

Scottbee, Putterdude, Martincath --- thank you all for your input on "Ricky's," I appreciate it.

While we did go to Alaska last year, we did not start or begin our journey in Vancouver and therefore were not aware that Ricky's had closed.

Yes, Ricky's was the place I was looking for. We will be starting and ending our Alaska cruise this year in Vancouver and were looking forward to dining at Ricky's as this is the only place that we were able to find that served Labatts Blue --- we can't get it where we live --- my husband will be so sad.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Edited by Italy52