Jeans in the dinning room

Tech,

You may be relatively new here ( posting wise), but you have made some very strong points.

It is a pleasure to read your posts. They are thoughtful, insightful and full of compassion.

Thank you for finally joining in here :)

Looking forward to many more of your posts.

Thanks tech...you continue to be objective, controlled and wise in your remarks. How inspiring of you to respond without resorting to 'tit for tat'. No one here is required to post a resume or even speak about their personal life unless one feels led to...and, to refer to tenure on CC and number of posts as any kind as criteria for being able to express one's opinions is ludicrous. Each time I see that, I wince. I cannot stand it when I read that people justify jumping on someone who is new here and whose opinion they seem to disagree with, by saying they do not know them or have never seen them around before. I've even heard some question other's true identity!!:eek: How assumptive!! Who decided that public humiliation is justified as some kind of initiation rite here? All you've really done is to express your opinions. If someone chooses to read it as preaching, well then so be it. Frankly, there is plenty of preaching to go around in these parts...I'm surprised you're being chided for it.

You are correct...you do not really need to know very much about a person to get the picture from reading some of the posts on these boards. Sadly, it seems that people do not realize how they come across when they express themselves in writing. Once one writes something, it makes it somewhat permanent. Unless of course one chooses to edit, which is always an option. 'Think before you speak' comes to mind, though here, we write. Please know, as I think you already do:) , that there are those of us who value your opinions. This is indeed a public forum and everyone should feel free to speak their views politely (as you have done) without fear of reprisal or chastisement. I have a feeling that, when and if the time comes that we disagree, we shall be able to do so respectfully.

Three cheers to you!:D

Tech: re: "My husband's family were autoworkers on the line from the 1930's. They did not have suits or the money to buy them. This was the depression."

Oh, please! Those who had jobs on the assembly lines were among the elite of the 30's - most people had little or no work. And I'd be willing to bet that most had suites, ties and wore hats to work each day. Everyone did in those days.

As to being judgemental - you're the one who equates dressing well with being boorish. So get off your high horse.

No one has said that everyone needs to wear a tux and/or evening gown.

No one has said that a sports jacket on another diner would "ruin their meal".

All that the traditionalists ask is that everyone follow the rules. Is that really too much to ask?

Thanks Dakrewser, you are exactly right. It seems that in every discussion about dress code issues, those who don't want any enforcement of the rules by HAL set up "strawman" arguments, mischaracterizing the positions of those in favor of enforcement. All most of us want is enforcement of the minimum( yes, minimum!) requirements. I don't recall anyone ever being criticized for not "dressing to the nines" but only for flagrant and completely avoidable violations.

Here's what I find most interesting... previously, those in favor of formal dressing would wield the words of HAL like a big stick, using it to beat down anyone who would dare to suggest that jeans are ok. It would always be about how "why can't you people follow THE RULES" blah blah blah. And NOW HAL, at least on SOME sailings, has clearly eliminated the "no jeans" rule on casual nights. And then we get a response like this one:

"I live in jeans. But when the dress code does not allow jeans, I simply do not wear them. I think that HAL being a classy line, would stick up and say "no jeans" in the dining room. Period. End of story. On my next cruise in July to Alaska on the Zuiderdam, I am going to adhere and do not wear the comfortable jeans to the dining room. Even if you are allowed, I am going to show respect and dress like everyone else on the appropriate "dress" night."

So first, it was about showing respect for THE RULES, and now it's about showing respect for what???

Please be assured, I am in no way attacking the above poster, this particular post just seemed to be representative of a general mindset. Clearly, HAL has spoken, so now what?

We just got back from Westerdam Alaska, and there were jeans o plenty, EVERYWHERE! We felt overdressed the night we ate in Pinnacle Grill, where the most popular attire was a fleece vest with JUNEAU written on it! I could care less either way... I'm just reporting what I observed.

Whether you support the changing/more casual dress code or not, it is what it is, so you may well have to learn to live with it. Dress up, dress down, just enjoy!!

Thanks tortugas for your comments about your past cruise. I am glad to hear that on the CASUAL nights that jeans were acceptable. Agree that you should dress as requested by HA but since they have changed the code for casual nights so that jeans are acceptable this should stop all the confusion. On our docs for our cruise on the Westerdam it did omit jeans from clothing that was not acceptable. Hope this puts this topic to bed and everyone can enjoy their cruise.

Thanks tortugas for your comments about your past cruise. I am glad to hear that on the CASUAL nights that jeans were acceptable. Agree that you should dress as requested by HA but since they have changed the code for casual nights so that jeans are acceptable this should stop all the confusion. On our docs for our cruise on the Westerdam it did omit jeans from clothing that was not acceptable. Hope this puts this topic to bed and everyone can enjoy their cruise.

Don't hold your breath or if you're going to, give us a heads up, I know mouth-to-mouth recuscitation ;)

Copper10-8 thanks for your offer of help.

But not really planning on holding my breath unless it is in anticipation of my next cruise. Wouldn't let anything that trivial bother me. I'm sure everyone will forget all about it the minute they step on the ship.

Happy Cruising to everyone.

Copper10-12 thanks for your offer of help.

But not really planning on holding my breath unless it is in anticapation of my next cruise. Wouldn't let any thing that trivial bother me. I'm sure everyone will forget all about it the minute they step on the ship.

Happy Cruising to everyone.

You've got the right attitude! Enjoy your next cruise!

nanashirl,

You might want to check the link-coding for the images (I think they are counters?) in your signature. They're not working, and the resulting code being displayed in your signature is causing your posts to take up a great deal of display space on the board. I'm sure you'd like your counters to function. :)

Here's what I find most interesting... previously, those in favor of formal dressing would wield the words of HAL like a big stick, using it to beat down anyone who would dare to suggest that jeans are ok. It would always be about how "why can't you people follow THE RULES" blah blah blah.

tortugas, I don't think that we're wielding HAL's dress code like a big stick. I usually post it (or at least part of it) when someone asks what HAL's code says or means, or when someone asks what is considered "appropriate" dress for the various nights on HAL, or when someone asks if something specific is acceptable on HAL. It seems to me that such a question is asking for information, and HAL does have a dress code which provides information which answers such questions. That some people want to disregard those answers doesn't mitigate the fact that such answers exist. I would much rather provide information, and a bit of interpretation, and allow those with the questions to draw their own conclusions, than to take it upon myself to actively encourage someone to just "do whatever they want because the dress code is unimportant and most people ignore it anyway" (which is an erroneous claim that we've seen here, many times, by certain posters).

The dress code is not a weapon for wielding, and those of us who quote it are not attacking others by doing-so. We are simply providing information, and an interpretation of that information, in an attempt to be helpful. Do I, personally, wish that more people would observe the Dress Code? Yes, I do. And, you know something, my experience shows that MOST people DO observe the dress code. It's those rare one who don't that really stand out. Sometimes it would appear that they don't care; but I have noticed, other-times, that many of these people appear to be very uncomfortable being among the very few who are not properly dressed, and I cannot help but feel sorry for them. I wonder if they never read the "Know Before You Go" booklet, or did they have a horrible TA, or was it that someone on a discussion board someplace told them: "don't worry about it, no one pays any attention to the dress code on those ships anyway ... only about 10% were dressed up on formal night on my friend's cruise, so don't you bother with it either."

Sorry revneal - I can't tell when I see the posts that it taking up room. I went in to edit signature and take it off so that this would not happen but it will not let me delete it? I guess the signature is not working. I also marked do not show signature but it is still trying to show counters. Any suggestions?

Archived