Jeans in the dinning room

There was a couple, not at our table but close by that came from the state of Rev. Neal and our President, who wore jeans most nights to dinner. Not on formal night but all the others.

It was obvious that he and his wife were quite well off and these jeans were not like my Lee's or Levi's but of nice quality.

Still they were Jeans. He was accepted each night at a large dinner table and the table seemed to be having a great time.

It did not bother our dinner table. Actually we enjoyed hearing them laugh so much, the only distraction was the ring on DW's Texan hand that would hit the light and blind our entire table of 7. It was a whopper.

Linda

Please let me know if you are able to find a denim tux!

The Canadian Tuxedo

The Canadian Tuxedo is the favoured outfit for young men and women on important occasions. Nothing says "I'm looking my best for you" like The Canadian Tuxedo. Wear it to your prom, for an important job interview, or at a relative's funeral. The Canadian Tuxedo is traditionally comprised of a pair of blue jeans, a blue jean shirt, and a blue jean jacket.

Canadian Tuxedo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Canadian Tuxedo is an American English term for an outfit consisting of a denim jacket and denim jeans. This outfit can be accentuated with the addition of a button-down denim shirt. The phrase was first used and popularized in the film Super Troopers by the character Rodney Farva referring to the character John O'Hagan.

:eek:

The Canadian Tuxedo

The Canadian Tuxedo is the favoured outfit for young men and women on important occasions. Nothing says "I'm looking my best for you" like The Canadian Tuxedo. Wear it to your prom, for an important job interview, or at a relative's funeral. The Canadian Tuxedo is traditionally comprised of a pair of blue jeans, a blue jean shirt, and a blue jean jacket.

Canadian Tuxedo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Canadian Tuxedo is an American English term for an outfit consisting of a denim jacket and denim jeans. This outfit can be accentuated with the addition of a button-down denim shirt. The phrase was first used and popularized in the film Super Troopers by the character Rodney Farva referring to the character John O'Hagan.

:eek:

Thanks; found a pic!

1959590571_Canadiantuxedo.jpg.5eeeb2335147c05e0aaeff38087307a4.jpg

The Canadian Tuxedo

The Canadian Tuxedo is the favoured outfit for young men and women on important occasions. . . . The Canadian Tuxedo is traditionally comprised of a pair of blue jeans, a blue jean shirt, and a blue jean jacket.:eek:

Okay, then. But, what I'm looking for would be a really classy tux--traditional cut--all tailored from good, light-weight denim. The pants, jacket and cumberbund would all be denim, as would the bow-tie. However, I think I'd wear a standard, white pleated tux shirt, perhaps with denim-wrapped studs.

--Rich

Try Louis Vuitton or any other international known designer.

The Haute Couture will use many materials and unusual combinations to design very lovely and expensive items of apparel.

I have no doubt that one of the designers would enjoy and create a very elegant denium tuxedo. It probably has been done already.

It does seem to be a bit provincial to be so concerned about the dress of everyone around you on a cruise.

One would think you would be enjoying your own cruise being confident that you are dressed to code. :)

2011241739_louisv.jpg.5f81f56be62a2965144a78ad859faa39.jpg

Hi everyone,

I am a traditionalist on these boards. However, I do believe that denim is here to stay. I have worn denim since I was a teenager in the mid 60's. I do not think it is a formal fabric. I think it is a casual fabric. I enjoy wearing it. Before my accident one of my favorite outfits was dark wash jeans, a black turtle neck sweater, my red fox jacket and stiletto heels. I can't wear the heels any more and the jacket has been replaced with another more animal friendly one.

I were jeans all the time. I have never worn jeans on a cruise, but I won't say I never will. I can't see myself wearing them on a formal or even informal night. However, I cannot for the life of me see the problem with wearing a nice pair of jeans with the right top, jacket and accessories and shoes on a cruise.

They are part of the culture and have been for over 40 years. I'm not talking about everyday work clothes worn for gardening or outdoor work. I mean well tailored jean trousers.

I really don't understand why denim is such a big deal. I really enjoy formal nights, dressing to the nines, the whole sheebang. Nice denim is really nice. I wear my jeans with beaded tops to go out to a casual restaurant or a party. I love the casual elegant statement an outfit like that makes.

Louis Vuitton also has handbags made of denim. This one sells for over $1400.00.

Linda

0.jpg.d1d445d82584ec14ca116a6a1845d7a5.jpg

I guess the part that I continue to disagree about is the relevance (or lack) of the price.

Whether the denim jeans cost $1,000 or $30....they still are denim jeans, aren't they? My participation in this conversation has nothing to do with cost. It has to do with what the garment is. Jeans of any price are still jeans.

As always....JMHO

And I agree with you Judy,

It is certainly not about price. It is, in my opinion, about cut, fit, style and fabric. And all jeans are not alike in those paramaters. I am talking about "jean trousers" which are very different from "blue jeans" that we see every day on people shulubbing around the mall.

These are made of a more lightweight fabric. They are sewn and tailored to fit.

We have to compromise somewhere. We are all living in the same world. There is no right and wrong. Change is inevitable. Life is change. Only the dead do not change.

Linda

I own two pair of jeans. I wear them when I'm out working in the yard, or painting, or doing other physical labor that could result in slacks being harmed. Otherwise, I don't wear them. I find them confining and uncomfortable.

Nevertheless, there are different kinds of jeans, and there are different ways to wear them. I've seen guys dressed in VERY nice, light weight "dress jeans." They are cut like slacks but they're made out of denim. I wouldn't wear them, but I've seen them. I've seen them in the dining room on casual and informal nights, even. While not my preference, since they became invisible when the person sits down, I can block it out of my mind if it bothers me (which is doesn't). That was sort of what happened when Brian came to dinner on the last night aboard the Noordam in jeans and snazzy jacket:

group4.jpg

His wearing Jeans didn't ruin dinner. Indeed, I hardly noticed he was wearing jeans until it was pointed out to me (by Brian himself). I would rather not see the dress code "relaxed" on this subject, but since it won't change what I wear, and since I'm not offended by jeans that don't have holes, or aren't filthy, and are worn up around the waist, I suppose it doesn't bother me enough to matter.

What I think most people dread is the day when we start seeing people coming into the dining room with their jeans hiked down to about half-way to their knees, with most of their underwear showing, ball-caps turned side-ways, tattoos showing from their sleeveless shirts, and 2-dozen body piercings displayed for all to see. It's THAT which worries some people. Others, however, I suspect are awaiting the day with eager anticipation ... preparing to "bear it all" for us to see the nails driven through private parts and the chains hanging between those parts. :eek:

And if I may stick my neck out a bit, I think people are concerned that there are people who cannot differentiate between well tailored, well fitting jean trousers and the jeans one would wear to shlepp around the mall or supermarket. Or the difference in the accessories that would accompany those two disparite forms of dress.

I think that people are concerned that if you give people an inch, some will take a mile. And, I can understand that concern. Honestly, I do not have a solution to that problem.

Linda

My opposition is not to jeans specifically but to the downward slope of the cruiseline dress code (IMHO). Jeans were not allowed at one time and pax were turned away from the DR if they arrived in them. From there we went to not turning away those that came in jeans. Now we seem to be heading towards jeans okay. My fear is that the next step will be not to challenge those that come to the DR in shorts, tanks and flipflops. Where will we go from there - bathing suits ok? I'd rather the cruiseline support a dress code and let those that want to wear whatever they want eat in the Lido. On another cruiseline we once had to share our dinner with a couple that arrived in their bathing suits w/coverups. Nothing was said to them. It could be the wave of the future.... Happy Sailing!

I seem to recall other dress code threads where ALL jeans were balked at...including the high end, tailored type. I daresay...it seems things are taking a turn for a more tolerant approach. Very interesting indeed...

How about the new trend for women which features tops which used to only be seen in the bedroom?...you know, the lacy, satin type. You see them everywhere...from business settings (under a suit) to parties. And on all types of people...from wealthy to working class, to stick thin to heavy set. Imagine that...jeans AND lingerie...together!! What a concept!!

I seem to recall other dress code threads where ALL jeans were balked at...including the high end, tailored type. I daresay...it seems things are taking a turn for a more tolerant approach. Very interesting indeed...

How about the new trend for women which features tops which used to only be seen in the bedroom?...you know, the lacy, satin type. You see them everywhere...from business settings (under a suit) to parties. And on all types of people...from wealthy to working class, to stick thin to heavy set. Imagine that...jeans AND lingerie...together!! What a concept!!

I am a huge fan of "What Not To Wear" on TLC. Stacy and Clinton may come across a bit on the abrasive side, but they do give excellent fashion advice. They have helped me update my wardrobe and build a good basic one that avoids passing trends.

They were advocates of doing away with the old" No white after Labor Day or before Easter" rule or your shoes and handbag must match. They advocate well tailored, dark even washed jean trousers for casual wear.

They also talk about camisoles; silk, satin, embellished or plain. They say these are fine and they are tasteful as long as they are worn as layering pieces. Regardless of the size or age of the woman, they are not made to be worn alone. So, they are just that, layering pieces. They really advocate a well put together, well groomed flattering look for women and men of all sizes, shapes and ages.

I really like the look of layered tops and jackets. Those camis are great under a jacket or a tee shirt, especially the ones with some bling.

Linda

caribbean girl,

:)

Don't misunderstand me. I don't like jeans. I don't like them for me, and I personally do not believe that they are ever appropriate for informal or formal night in ANY style. If HAL were to enforce the formal night code more strictly, I would be less prone to be worried about the "slippery slope" of allowing jeans on casual nights. Jean trousers on casual night are ok, I suppose ... though not for me. I will not wear them because I'm not comfortable in them. However, if a fashion maven like Brian feels comfortable on casual night in fashion jeans with a dress shirt and a velour jacket, I don't mind that either. At least his jacket counter-balances his wearing of jeans ... he's better dressed in the above photo (taken on a casual night) than some guys on informal night! :) Jean trousers not withstanding.

Oh, and Linda ... I enjoy "What Not To Wear" too. I'm watching it as a post this. I've learned a lot about shopping and clothing in general from watch Stacy and Clinton, though I wish they would do a few more guys.

It seems to me that underneath all the talk of proper clothes is really something that is not being said.

It is being alluded to and skirted around and it is the subject of "class ".

It would seem that some are concerned that the "class " of people cruising is changing.

Instead of saying 'We are appalled that these people are now cruising on our higher end cruiseline", the issue is hidden behind the clothes being worn.

A cruiseline is not a "gated community ". You buy your ticket and you sail. You do not have to belong to a Country Club or belong to the local "Hunt Club ".

There is no litmus test to determine if you are qualified socially to cruise on this ship.

Not everyone that is not conforming to the dress code is doing it to irritate other passengers. They are wearing the clothes that they understand to be correct.

The only solution for some is to investigate which cruiseline is enforcing the type of dress you prefer. Then you book this cruiseline.

It may mean leaving a much loved line behind and also paying a great deal more for the cruise.

The payoff will be that you will never be irritated or insulted by anyones manner of dressing.

The large mainstream cruiselines will not go back to the cruising dress codes of the 1950's for the customer base has changed. The whole world has changed. In the business world you change or you die.

It can be the same for people, change can be good, it does not have to be intimidating.

You could also continue to cruise on your favorite line and take tranquillizers.:)

You are only going to raise your blood pressure and ruin your cruise if you obsess over the dress of others.

Oh, and Linda ... I enjoy "What Not To Wear" too. I'm watching it as a post this. I've learned a lot about shopping and clothing in general from watch Stacy and Clinton, though I wish they would do a few more guys.

Greg,

I agree with you about Stacy and Clinton as far as doing more shows about men's fashion. I enjoy the shows they do about the guys. One thing I learned was to buy trousers with flat fronts, no pleats. I just wish they were easier to find. Lou buys most of his wardrobe at Men's Warehouse and they have a ton of clothes. However it is difficult to find those trousers without pleats. The same is true in the department stores, even the high end stores.

Linda:)

It seems to me that underneath all the talk of proper clothes is really something that is not being said.

It is being alluded to and skirted around and it is the subject of "class ".

It would seem that some are concerned that the "class " of people cruising is changing.

Instead of saying 'We are appalled that these people are now cruising on our higher end cruiseline", the issue is hidden behind the clothes being worn.

A cruiseline is not a "gated community ". You buy your ticket and you sail. You do not have to belong to a Country Club or belong to the local "Hunt Club ".

There is no litmus test to determine if you are qualified socially to cruise on this ship.

I understand what you're trying to say. I disagree with you, but I understand where your observation is coming from. And, I'm certain, some people probably do fit this caricature which you've painted. I have been the target of some who have said that, since I'm a "Johnny-come-lately" (I began cruising with HAL in 1994), I'm part of the "problem" ... despite the fact that I dress according to code and behave myself when aboard ship. However, this attitude is NOT what is fueling most of what we see here. Most of us who post here who wish that HAL would enforce its dress code are not wishing to maintain a certain social class among our fellow passengers but, rather, a certain kind of behavior. As you have framed the issue, you would appear to intimate that only those of a specific social class are interested in "dressing up" or abiding by the published dress code. I strenuously object to this assertion.

Not everyone that is not conforming to the dress code is doing it to irritate other passengers. They are wearing the clothes that they understand to be correct.

Why can't they read the "Know Before You Go" booklet, or the website, and understand what IS correct ... i.e., what is according to the code? I was able to do this in 1994. Other people can do this, without any trouble. Why is it that some people demand that the line change, rather than abiding by the dress code as it is published? I'm sorry ... they can read, and they fully understand what the line's dress code states, they just don't want to abide by it. It's this kind of disrespectful behavior that we would like to see changed. It has nothing to do with social CLASS ... it has to do with simple respect. People of ALL social classes can understand and exercise respect for the Line, respect for their fellow passengers, and respect for themselves.

The only solution for some is to investigate which cruiseline is enforcing the type of dress you prefer. Then you book this cruiseline.

Why must we leave? Many of us researched and found HAL and have cruised on HAL for a decade (or more) because HAL provided a certain kind of cruise experience ... an experience which includes a dress code. We shouldn't have to flee because those who have read, and know, the code refuse to abide by it.

Hey, Rev. Greg Neal:

You own one more pair than I do. I have one pair of shorts that are jeans.

I am not big on them although I wore them when I was a child. However, since I have become an adult, I do not wear them.

One thing I learned was to buy trousers with flat fronts, no pleats. I just wish they were easier to find. Lou buys most of his wardrobe at Men's Warehouse and they have a ton of clothes. However it is difficult to find those trousers without pleats. The same is true in the department stores, even the high end stores.

Oh, I disagree. I know I'm out of step with what's supposed to be the case, but on ME slacks with flat fronts -- without pleats -- look BAAAAAAAD. My stomach shoes much more of a bulge in such pants. Perhaps, come the next several months and I keep loosing weight, I'll look good in such pants. But, in truth, they look just awful on me.

I also buy my suits and slacks at Mens Warehouse. They have an excellent supply of clothing that looks great on me. I buy my suits from them almost without fail. But, for guys my size they don't have much without pleats. And for good reason. :)

Archived