Oceania for 07?

LuAnn

Just received their brochure for the 07 Med/Greek Isles..never been on Oceania before but did have a reccommendation from our TA..they are offering quite a number of cruises..hard to decide? How would you compare their ships/service/food to HAL, Princess, Celebrity? Appreciate any input! LuAnn

LuAnn -

In my opinion, having been on 2 of the others you mentioned a while back,

there is no comparison. I'd say Oceania is in a class by itself. We were on a Feb/Mar 06 cruise and have scheduled a May 07 in the Med. There are lots of folks who post on the CC site who barely get off one cruise before they are getting on another. They have lots more experience than I do, so I'll let them give you more detail about what makes Oceania so special. You should get tons of posts on this question.

LuAnn-

As the previous poster said, "no comparison! My wife & I have cruised with HAL and Princess, as well as Crystal and Seabourn. The O has all of them beat except for Seabourn since it's not a fair comparison. We have two O sailings scheduled for '07. No matter where you sail, you will like the O philosophy...country club casual! And they mean it. Can't beat the food and the decor of the ships is as good as any vessel afloat. Enjoy!!

The May 7th - Venice to Rome on the Regatta. The Regatta goes into drydock for refurbishing (which I did not think it needed, but then what do I know) in April 07 and I think this might be the first cruise after she's all spiffed up. Which are you considering? I could have chosen about 10 different itineraries that I'd like to do...And being an instant gratification type, I'd like to do them all right now. Actually, we wanted a longer cruise, 12 or 14 days, but this one had Cinque Terre and Sicily, both ports we wanted plus Dubrovnik. It hard to find every port you want, the number of days you want, etc., all at the same time. Just have to go lots of times, I guess. We've been to both Rome and Venice on land tours so don't know that we'll spend pre or post time in either city.

This is a wonderful cruise line. We truly enjoyed our cruise. The food was just wonderful in all venues. The staff go above and beyond to provide extraordinary service. I have a slight disability so I don't do every port, and these are port intensive trips, but my husband does. The library is a wonderful place to spend time, and I did. I also had a cabana and it occupied many sunlight hours. We found the Oceania cruisers to be very interesting, very well traveled and very willing to share their experiences with us, as novices, on our first Oceania cruise. I had lots of questions answered on this board and we also had a CC group get together in Martini's.

I'm away from home right now - on vacation - "again," my husband would say, but I'd be happy to share some of my pictures of the ship's common areas, our stateroom, etc if you'd like. If interested, send me your email and I'll be home in a few days and will forward to you. Sorry, I don't have the equipment with me to access them from this laptop.

Well, I looked at the brochure I received several times and there is no cruise offered for the Regatta on May 7th..only one on 04/27..and all the rest of the cruises are on the Insignia & and Nautica..sounds like all cruises are not offered within this brochure? Maybe I should look at their website? Did you get a 2 for 1 cruise and free airfare on yours? (that is what is offered in this brochure) I have friends traveling to Cinque Terra this year and it does sound very special! I too am lucky enough to have been to both Rome and Venice several times so that is one reason why I was trying to find something that started or ended in another port (eg. Athens, because a day in Athens just doesn't seem to be near enough!) Would love to see pictures...you can email me at kilgastatcoxdotnet (they say to do the email address this way so scammers can't cull them from the boards?!) Any help/input is great! Thanks and hope you are enjoying your vacation, again!! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn and others,

We just put a deposit on O cruise for 9/13/07 on the Insigna, Athens to Rome. It stops 2 days in Egypt, and does several interesting ports. This will be our first Oceania Cruise. We really like their concept, and I think it will fit us well. Last year, we did a Med. cruise on Celebrity's Millenium in Sept. The weather was perfect, and we loved all the ports. I know someone mentioned Dubrobnik. It was a stop on our cruise. The walled town was probably one of our favorite ports. The best way, I can describe the town, is that it looks like something Disney would dream up, only it's real. Beautiful smooth stone streets, that looks like marble, quaint fishing harbour, stone walls surround the town to walk on, and enjoy the sea views.

...we are booked on the Insignia, leaving from Rome to Venice on April 28 '07, she does the return trip from Venice to Rome on May 10th, maybe that would work out for you, check it out on their website, a very nice site by the way...

...when doing a lot of homework in researching the various lines, I came to a solid conclusion that Oceania is definitely one of the best bangs for the buck you will find in the cruise industry today. We got the two for one with free air deal, if Oceania's ships come even close to our expectations, they will have two lifetime customers for future cruises...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

I have to say I half-way expected that a lot of what I read here would be over-exaggerations and while I was sure Oceania would be a nice cruise line, I was in no way prepared for how "really nice" it is. But yet, I found it to be comfortable - not stand-offish. We booked mainly as they offered ports that could not accommodate the larger ships. When I kept blabbing about the wonderful things everyone was saying about this line, my husband said, "Yea, yea, book whatever." Women know what I'm talking about...just don't bother them. Well, he really liked it. Wasn't much of a problem getting him to book again. The problem was selecting just 1 cruise at a time!!! Believe what you read.

Having done over 30 cruises on Orincess, Rccl, and other, we decided to try Oceania.

We returned a few days ago from a 14 night cruise on Regatta from Istanbul to Venice.

We loved it--best yet.

High quality of food, wonderful afternoon tea. A 4 piece orchestra plays while the trolley of warm scones, cakes & pastries comes around.

Two other restaurants( no cover) that are out of this world, with tables overlooking the ocean.

The beds are dreamy--all duvets covers & pillows, lovely high quality sheets.

The only thing that really annoyed us was the $20 corking fee.

We brought 2 bottles to the dining room on the second to last day, & they wanted $40---UNREAL!

our bar bill was well over $600 at that point as we always ordered bottles of wine at the table.

I also heard many people complain about the 18% service charge on top of the drink prices.

We have already booked 2 more Oceania cruises. One in Sept(2006) from Rome to Athens And another on Jan 2nd, in the caribbean.

Can you tell we are impressed?

I also have recent pictures(as we returned a few days ago) so let me know if you need more convincing, or help.

We just put a deposit on the Oct 17, 2007, Athens to Venice itinerary on Insignia. Gosh, 17 months to go, and my anticipation is already starting to build ...

This will be our first Oceania cruise - we have cruised Princess, RCCL and NCL, (all fun, but nothing to write home about) and we are really looking forward to this one. The ports sound wonderful, and the Oceania service and ships do too!

Thanks so much for your very kind words about our line.

I am thrilled that you like everything about it (well almost everything, corkage fees and gratuities not withstanding).

FDR

President and CEO

And I booked it even before Mr DelRio chimed in! :) I had looked at Princess, Celebrity for this part of the world (actually had booked a cruise with each of them while pondering my choices) but cancelled them and booked the Path of the Phoenicians for 4/27/07! (will have my b-day on board) Liked the fact we could start in Athens, and come in early to really enjoy that city..one day could not possibly be enough! Also, after PaNana's comment about Dubrovnik (with confirmation from DH) wanted to include that port plus...we will be getting off in Venice just as PaNana is getting on ( I know..embarking and debarking..hate the "debarking" part!) so maybe we can meet up!? DH said he is really worried that we will be very spoiled by the small ship feel/atmosphere and never want to go back..worse things could happen, right! Thanks for everyone's help and input...I'll keep checking this board and will also look/post on the roll call for the cruise! LuAnn

LuAnn -

Congratulations!!! You are gonna love it, and your husband is 100% correct, it will spoil you. When I read your post to my husband he readily admitted it has spoiled him - we don't ever want to cruise on a large ship again. What a great birthday present. Take lots of pix in Santorini and share them with me. Maybe I'll do that next.

I just love to have a trip scheduled and start the planning process. That's half the fun. Keep in touch. Get a roll call started and plan your get-together.

PA Nana

Started the roll call this AM after searching the boards and not finding one already started! You're right..for me the anticipation is 3/4's of the fun..also meeting new people and making new friends on CC..looks like Dubrovnik will be the only port we will share..other than Venice! maybe we can have lunch in Venice as you embark and we disembark! LuAnn

We are so lucky to have had the opportunity to have sailed on many lines since our mid 40's including, Sitmar, Royal Cruise Lines, Royal Viking, Marco Polo, NCL, Radisson, Princess and others.

When we first started cruising and observed the more elderly passengers, many of whom we spoke with and were told that they had saved all their lives for this couple of weeks of heaven, we told ourselves that we would "keep cruisin' " as often and as long as we could. We loved the ability to see the world, enjoy the cuisine, danced our feet off! Enjoyed our shipmates, several of whom we stay in touch with even after 25 years.

Now alas, time has gone by and we are those "elderly passengers."

The journeys from the West Coast of the USA to Europe and the Far East are now too much of a hastle, the "spring" has gone from our feet, the top deck jogging track is now our "once around " walking track. But, the people are more or less the same, except, they are "SO young."

You see, we are really well travelled on cruise ships and have done many driving vacations in other countries but we have not yet enjoyed an "O" cruise. Many of our friends have had the experience over the last couple of years. When we contemplated booking our next cruise which was going to be a return Panama visit, we decided to , as always, look the CC board

up.

The comments on the board reiterated what we had been told by our friends so we have now booked the cruise for Jan 12th 2007. As always, although we have another cruise, (this time a family affair with our 18 family members joining us on the Celebrity Pride for a week to celebrate our 55th anniversary) a driving trip to Ashland, OR. Boise ID. and Park City UT.,

and a family affair in NY in November, we enjoy so much the anticipation of our Regatta cruise in January. The anticipation of a cruise with good positive thoughts about it have resulted in us enjoying, almost unreservedly, our nearly 40 cruises over the past 30+ years.:):):)

Betty and David.

Calabasas, CA.

What wonderful thoughts and sentiments! My parents, who loved to travel, gave that sense of wonderlust to me...and I agree that you should do it while you can! And they established friendships that lasted over many, many years! What more can anyone ask for? Since you are just "up the road" from us..will you be going from East to West or West to East? Just got back a week ago from a Panama Canal from Miami to SD...great..my vist time and DH's 2nd (he was in the Navy)..back to the idea of "going while you can"..in going through my parents belongings, after having been married for 60 plus years, it was obvious that the money/time/and love that had expended on the travels they did together and with others were of up-most importance..may we all be as lucky!LuAnn

Betty and David,

Stu and I did that cruise in January of this year and it was absolutely fabulous..the ports, the food, the staff..everything was perfect..I know you will love it..Jan

We were going to on Nautica's 8/11/07 Barcelona - Athens... have now switched my deposit to Insignia's 4/8/07 with the (virtually) same itinerary. Cabin 7001. Anyone have any experience of these forward facing cabins?

This will be our second cruise, we did the Baltic on NCL a few years ago. My name is Sean and my wife is Erika. We are educators from the Bay Area and travelling is our main hobby. I look forward to communicating with you Oceanians in the weeks and months to come.

Just read the responses to our posting. Thanks for the nice remarks.

We went up the coast to Ventura to try and find an old favorite restaurant that had moved from Montecito to Ventura, Tutti's. Wow! we found it. It was like finding a long lost friend. It had been 2 years in building. Great lunch!

Yes, every report we have heard on the "O" has been 100% positive. After our last cruise on RSSC Voyager we never thought we would equal that but the Regatta looks as if it will more than fill the bill, a lot less expensive also!!

Thanks again for the responses. We wish everyone on the board, bon voyage, wherever and whenever you sail.:):):):):)

Betty and David. Calabasas, CA

Exgeordie - We'll be returning to Miami on the Regatta Jan. 12, '07. It will be our first cruise on Oceania, too. We picked it because it goes to the smaller islands and, not being fans of the mega ships, we wanted to try a smaller ship. And because we like everything we read in the folders and are hearing here on the board. We'll be traveling with six others with whom we shared a table in the diningroom on Celebrity a couple of years ago who have become "family by choice."

We'll try to see that everything is in good shape on the ship for you.

Hi Betty and David,

My husband and I live nearby (Encino) and started cruising 36 years ago on our 10th wedding anniversary. Thanks to wonderful parents who babysat the kids, we were able to start our cruising life. We have been on over 25 cruises on various cruise lines and lots of land tours. When you mentioned Royal Cruise Line, I really teared a little, since we have been trying to find a cruise line similar to it for years now. Oceania comes very close with the friendliness of the serving staff and the warm atmosphere aboard their ships. We have taken three cruise with them and look forward to more in the future.

We, also, were the young "kids" aboard our cruises 36 years ago. Glad to hear that you are taking the family along for your 55th anniversary. We were a party of 11 for my husband's 70th birthday several years ago. What fun!!!

As my son says, "Just keep walking!" Congratulations on your 55th anniversary and here's to your good health in the future.

Sheila

Dear Shoshana:

Aren't we fortunate to have all those wonderful memories.

Your kids are right when they tell you to, " keep on walking.," and for sure keep those cruise bookings on track. Having something to look forward to is wonderful motivation to keep walkin' !! We keep telling our kids we are really the SKI ers in the family, "Spending Kids Inheritance.":):):):)

D & B.

LuAnn-

As the previous poster said, "no comparison! My wife & I have cruised with HAL and Princess, as well as Crystal and Seabourn. The O has all of them beat except for Seabourn since it's not a fair comparison. We have two O sailings scheduled for '07. No matter where you sail, you will like the O philosophy...country club casual! And they mean it. Can't beat the food and the decor of the ships is as good as any vessel afloat. Enjoy!!

Question: My wife and I are considering Oceania from Rome to Venice in Sept 07 or a Crystal Cruise later that year. What are the differences between Oceania and Crystal which makes Oceania better in your opinion.? Our prior cruise experience has been several trips on Celebrity and their concierge class cabins with veranda. Information is appreciated. Talk to you soon

Archived