My first voyage, Princendam, Circle of the Sun, 2006

susiesails

....for a most fascinating read. I know you are writing this journal of your Prinsendam voyage as a catharsis for yourself, and a memento for your mother, but you have me enthralled. "She was drawing an invisible shroud around herself..." That choice of words in your description of your mother tells me you have a writer's genius within you. I think you have put the suffering in your life to powerful use. Your travelogue may take months to finish, but I intend to read with you to the end!

Susie,

Thank you so much for giving us a background of your life. You have certainly lived a very full life and I love the way you have done so much travelling.

I am enjoying reading the exploits of your cruise and look forward each morning to opening up C.C. to see if you have written another post.

Jennie

Hi Susie,

Here is another admirer from Downunder. You have a wonderful style of writing (and thinking) and along with everyone else, I look forward to reading the rest of your reports.

Wayne

As the video starts, there is only intense grayness, from me holding my hand over the lens as I was being taught. I inwardly groaned as I looked at the first 7 seconds. I hear Doug's voice, teaching me how to use my dad's video and digital camera. Thanks Doug for all your help. The scene finally opens to lido deck taken from deck 12 above it. I got so excited to see it again. My eyes were darting all over to see of I could find any of my friends and I quickly looked at the sky and the color of the sea. I remember taking in a deep breathe and feeling like I was going to be just fine, now that I could see my beloved sea again as I watched the video. This reaction frankly surprised me. I think I have started a love affair with the sea, I certainly did not expect that to happen.

I have been learning ship terms, Bow and Aft, and Starboard and Port. These terms finally mean something to me. yippee. I can't tell you how often I called the Princendam a boat and got corrected and then started correcting myself. "A boat can fit into a ship but a ship can not fit into a boat!"

As I swung the lens of the camera to the sea, I spoke these words, "Now you can see the sea........the endless sea.....just water......endless water.....but it's wonderful! There are some swells that make the ship rock from front to back or bow to aft, and side to side." The sky in this shot is a white-washed blue and the sea is an aquamarine. I had no idea the sea could be so many colors.

I think I should put in a disclaimer here and say that my hubby stick and I have lived a good life and have been in 5 star restaurants and hotels many times. We were both professionals and had plenty of money to do the things we wanted to do. But when I got so ill, it destroyed our financial future. One does not expect to be disabled at the age of 42 with 3 children to raise the youngest one being 8 years old.

The next scene of my video is in the La Fontaine Dining Room. Our table was in the Main dining room #115. All the tables are very elegantly set as soon as the last meal is over. I loved sitting next to the large panoramic windows that go from the floor to near the ceiling. How I loved to sit and eat and talk with my tablemates, just keeping an eye on the ocean going by. That never changed for me, I just loved watching the sea.

I also loved listening to the delicate clinking of the glasses. The delicate tinkling of the glasses came to have special meaning for me which was, "all is well....all is well. If the seas were a bit rough, you heard a louder clink, not as melodious to the ear at all. If it got much worse, they took the glasses and laid them down with their stems intertwined so they didn't roll off the table. Any really rough seas and the glasses were removed all together.

Can you tell I am constantly aware of my surroundings? I think it comes for my working as a night nurse all those years. I always knew what the sounds meant and if I didn't I investigated.

The silver was always laid just so next to each plate. I knew to use the utensils from the outside in, and if you didn't use the right fork, they didn't embarrass you. If there was extra silver after a course was served, they simply removed it. We were well taken care of, let me tell you. The crew made it so simple and so wonderful, definitely 5 star service at each meal.

In the next scene of the video, the wind is howling and I can hardly hear myself speak on the video. I heard myself say, "Barbados tomorrow"! Yippee, I was going to be meeting my cyber friend myky and family from my woman's computer site. We have known each other for more than 2 years in cyber land. It would be nice to have a face to put with my memories of her writing. She was going to take mom and I around and show us the sights of her island. What a special treat that was going to be.

Oh man, our first port of call, Barbados. I have been to Puerto Rico when I was much younger, but had not been to any other islands. I couldn't believe how many islands we had passed already. I especially love to watch the islands going by at night, seeing the glow of the city lights reflected on the clouds or into the sky. I always have been a girl that fantasized about places and people. Who lived there and what challenges did they have living in this place. What was their life like, I wanted to know. Ah, life, I just love it. susiesails

Susie, one quick question? Was table 115 a table for 8 or 10? I seem to remember it as a table for ten, but I'm just not sure. If 115 wasn't for 10, do you recall any others that were?

Thanks for another fascinating account. You bring back so many memories...:)

Grumpy, thanks for asking that! Yes, Susie, I'd be interested to know if 115 was for 10 and if not, did you see tables for 10? We are 10 on the Prinsendam in December.

Susie, I have to tell you your story is just amazing. I loved reading your background. What an incredible life and you have the most amazing outlook. I'm just loving this journal.

Once you fall in love with the sea, you will be forever in love with the sea. That is a love that absolutely will not die.

One other thing ... I have some complications with my leg and foot following an auto accident several years ago. May I ask what supplements you took that seemed to help you? Thanks:)

I have to say that I was very disappointed when I realized there was no coffee pot in the suite. How can a girl get going without a cup of coffee in her hand as she gets dressed and ponders life? We quickly learned that room service was free and took advantage of that situation. We used the ordering sheet that was given to us every evening on our bed along with our chocolate and or gifts from the ship to order our coffee, skim milk and fruit plate before we went up to lido deck for breakfast.

Having to pick what time you were going to get up was the only problem. I have always been an early riser, I can't sleep once my mind starts to work. There are no long lazy mornings spent in bed for me waking and dozing off again like many other people do on a free day. Once I come to consciousness, my mind starts to race. I didn't always pick the right time I was going to awaken and want my coffee so later we just called room service to get out coffee when we actually got up if mom and I got up at the same time.

However calling room service can go some thing like this.

To get the full effect, this should be read aloud. You will understand 'tenjewberrymuds' means by the end of the conversation.

The following is a telephone exchange between a hotel guest and room-service, at a hotel in Asia, which was recorded and published in the Far East Economic Review:

Room Service (RS): "Morrin. ; Roon sirbees."

Guest (G): "Sorry, I thought I dialed room-service."

RS: "Rye..Roon sirbees..morrin! Jewish to oddor sunteen??"

G: "Uh..yes..I'd like some bacon and eggs."

RS: "Ow July den?"

G: "What??"

RS: "Ow July den?...pryed, boyud, poochd?"

G : "Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, scrambled please."

RS: "Ow July dee baykem? Crease?"

G: "Crisp will be fine."

RS : "Hokay. An Sahn toes?"

G: "What?"

RS:"An toes. July Sahn toes?"

G: "I don't think so."

RS: "No? Judo wan sahn toes??"

G: "I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'judo wan sahn toes' means."

RS: "Toes! toes!...Why jew don juan toes? Ow bow Anglish moppin we bodder?"

G: "English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast.' Fine. Yes, an English muffin will be fine."

RS: "We bodder?"

G: "No...just put the bodder on the side."

RS: "Wad! ?"

G: "I mean butter...just put it on the side."

RS: "Copy?"

G: "Excuse me?"

RS: "Copy...tea...meel?"

G: "Yes. Coffee, please, and that's all."

RS: "One Minnie. Scramah egg, crease baykem, Anglish moppin we bodder on sigh and copy....rye??"

G: "Whatever you say."

RS: "Tenjewberrymuds."

G : "You're very welcome."

I think some of you will relate to this challange of traveling and laugh. All this writing and sense of humor too!

I have to be gone for 2 days for more testing, I will try to post about Barbados tomorrow evening after the first tests are done.

I thank each and everyone of you for your kind replies and interest. I am having fun writing about and reliving my experiences, I am happy you seem to be having fun also.

Grumpy, our table was the middle of the room, starboard side. It seated 10 people as you remembered. We did not always take the same seat, but always sat at this table. I was usually in the seat that faced the bow nearest the window, looking at the sea, but not always.

Heather in Florida, by the way I have a brother in Orlando. I used kombucha tea for 6 months and it changed me from being a semi invalid to a healthy person with some limitations. My girl friend who owned and ran a very successful restaurant also used it and she at the age of 53 started to get the glow that you get when you are pregnant. I never got the glow but I am thankful for getting my life back.

You have to get a "baby" to make the tea. They are available at health food stores if they are into this and also on the web. Last time I looked it up, there had been 2 deaths they were trying to associate with the use of this tea, but these women thought if a little bit is good for you then a whole bunch is better. Not so. I never had any problems taking this stuff, I used the 4 ounces they told me to use and no more. If you get a baby, I would love to take it again. They come thru the mail just fine. Every time you make a batch of this stuff, you get a "baby" to give away. Maybe this will help some of my current problems I am experiencing. Hmmm. Susiesails

Grumpy, our table was the middle of the room, starboard side. It seated 10 people as you remembered. We did not always take the same seat, but always sat at this table. I was usually in the seat that faced the bow nearest the window, looking at the sea, but not always.

This is not right, I meant I was on the starboard side, in the row of tables that hug the windows. The table was located in the middle of this line of tables that went completely around the room.

I hope this is clearer than before. I was not in the middle of the room. Susiesails

This is not right, I meant I was on the starboard side, in the row of tables that hug the windows. The table was located in the middle of this line of tables that went completely around the room.

I hope this is clearer than before. I was not in the middle of the room. Susiesails

:D since I knew exactly where your table was, I read it the way you intended. I can see where it could be confusing to someone that isn't familiar with the table numbers in the dining room. thanks for the clarification.:)

Monday, January 9, 2006

We are back on board after our first port of call. We met my friend Myky and her daughter Mya and sister Dianna and her grandmother from Canada. They took us around the island and showed us some very nice beaches and an old sugar plantation. It was so nice meeting her after talking to her for such a long time online. I met her in my woman’s computer group, Living Easy. We enjoyed ourselves immensely during our day together. It was so nice having someone meet us and take us around. We laughed at many things, like when we had a Halloween chat and I went as Wonder Woman and won the prize for best costume. You had to stay in costume during the chat to get the prize. What really happened that day was I was having a lot of body pain that day and took a pain pill and later had a rum drink. So I was saying absolutely outrageous things. I had everyone laughing so much. I guess you had to be there.

>The first thing I noticed after we got out of the entrance to the port was how sweet the air smelled. Now that surprised me as I expected to smell the salt air until I asked someone about it and they told me it was the molasses stored in huge vats like they used to store gasoline or oil. Another thing I noticed was that I couldn't stand still. I was still rocking with the rhythm of the ship even though I was standing on solid ground. Even my camera was swaying in my hands. That felt really weird!

>The cruise company had a steel band playing for us on the pier as we docked and it was so nice listening to the hypnotic sounds of the island. I spotted a tall ship in the harbor at anchor (it was so cool) and took a photo. We waited and realized we were getting pretty hot sitting in the sun which was a nice change from Madison, WI winter weather. It was nice to be in fresh air again after being on the ship for 4 days.

>As Barbados started as a British colony, they drive on the other side of the road here. Such narrow roads they have which was a bit daunting as they drive on the other side of the road than I am used to. As we were waiting for myky and group, we spoke with a taxi driver and he told us the island used to export 100,000 tons of cane juice, or molasses a year and now they are down to only 40,000 tons. There are only 3 sugar plantations left on the island. The laws here say no matter how much land you own you can only put one house on it, whether you own 1 acre or 1000 acres. The people want this changed as the cost of land is very dear here.

>We had so much fun playing with 5-year-old mya. She was an absolute delight. I was telling her about a story someone told me on board about if you get lost in Africa you could eat the termites as they are full of protein. She really didn’t understand termites. I showed her imaginary ants on the back of the seat in front of me and picked one up and ate it. She thought that was pretty weird and told me to “have all you like”. She had such an imperious air about her as she was giving me permission to eat invisible ants. I just laughed and laughed.

>We went to the top of Cherry Hill and what a marvelous view from there of the hillsides, the white sands and the blue and white pounding surf. I have photos but have to find a place to put them on the web without buying more MSN space. I got a nice belt make out of pink abalone there from a open air shop on the side of the road at Cherry Hill made by local artisans. I really love it. We continued our tour of the island and got to see some mills used in the past to grind the cane. It seemed if you were not looking at sugar cane growing in your present view of the island, you would be looking at it just around the next bend in the road.

I remember feeling enchanted by the Hodge podge construction of the tiny private homes. It was if the family's living there just added room after room when they could, not always in the same style or construction materials, or ever at the same level.

We saw mango trees, and breadfruit trees. They had a kind of mimosa tree, but it had different colored flowers from the mimosa tree I have in my yard. Flowers abounded whether they were planted in gardens or just growing wild on the hillsides.

>We drove to a beautiful beach with huge boulders sitting in the surf and found a restaurant that served a buffet of island food. I noticed mini busses from the ship tour so I knew we were in the right place. I think the restaurant was called Bonito. The featured meat was flying fish and jerk chicken, it was terrific. I had some qualms about eating flying fish but they were really tasty. They had what they called sweet potato pie, not like baked American sweet potato pie at all. It is made with mashed sweet potatoes and crushed pineapple. I just loved it, the flavors go so well together. I will try to find a recipe for this on the web and post it here. I can’t remember all I ate but I will show a picture soon. As we had to be back on board at 2:30 PM, we hurried back to the ship. I saw men with huge piles of coconuts selling the fresh juice in the street in a much busier part of town.

Mom and I were on a mission to find and consume island ice cream but we pulled in to a gas station and bought what kind????? Nestle, shucks! All in all it was a delightful time with Myky and on Barbados.

>After getting back on board, they had the band on the deck, and drinks made from Cuba with fresh mint leaves called Mojito's. Let me tell you the one I had was delicious and went down very easy. It was nice to watch the ship leave the port during the sailaway.

>We continued to travel south towards South America. We ran into some rougher seas with swells of 7 to 14 feet. Mom and I started using the stairs for our exercise, as the ship was too rocky to do our walking outside on deck.

I had forgot when I leave my home and there are new people around I have difficulty sleeping. There are plenty of new people on board, so I have not been getting much sleep. Each day my tiredness built up a little more. I guess I am getting used to the time changes and the new people because I have slept well the last two nights. I finally figured out the right self talk, which was to tell myself the ship is rocking me to sleep and that finally worked.

Wednesday, Jan.11, 2006

>Our next port of call was French Guiana, three small islands better known as Devils Island. If I mention the name Papillion, I bet the guys know what I am talking about. It was amazing watching the islands get closer and the palm trees appear in the far distance, standing as sentinels over the island. We took what they called the tenders to shore that I call the lifeboats. It was pretty hot and humid and mom couldn’t do much walking. The air felt really oppressive after all our sea days and the breeze that constantly blew across the decks. We stayed about an hour on an island that houses a total of 15 people. We really didn't get to explore much on this beautiful place.

Thursday Jan. 12, 2006

>We have now entered the Amazon River and will sail down it for 1-½ days. I can’t believe it is actually 4,000 miles long. We arrive in Santarem tomorrow and will take a riverboat on a tour thru the jungle and I am the only one getting out to swim. I will post about that another time. I can’t believe how big this wonderful world is. I am just amazed that we have been sailing for a whole week and are only to the top of Brazil. susiesails

Hi SusieSails....just wanted to add my thanks for your wonderful story, you certainly have a gift for writing..having just lost my Mum in January, I can relate very much...we had several, very special vacations together...I wrote a journal for the first one and still read it about once a year...I also know exactly what you mean about "the shroud" ..I saw that happening with my Mum over the last few years...very apt description....

Looking forward to your next chapter !! cheers Mim :)

I seem to be having trouble posting a couple of pictures. Can anyone give me some pointers? susiesails
Pictures that you upload from your computer have to be trimmed down fairly small, 620 pixels wide by 280 pixels high and a maximum file size of 19.5kb. If your pictures meet those specs you can put them in your post using the "manage Attachments" button in the section below where you are typing a reply. If you have the pictures stored on the internet in a place like "webshots", you can click on that thingthat looks like a post card above where you are typing the reply and enter the URL of the picture.

Hope this helps.

I see my adding photo's error now when you mention the mega pixels. Yikes that is pretty small. I will try to post more as we again travel up to Columbia today to get the results of all the tests tomorrow. If you pray, please pray for me that this is just a simple thing wrong with me and not one of the bad choices they are also testing for.

You know I was thinking about an earlier statement that I made here. Something like every mother and daughter should stay together for an extended period. That statement has niggled at me for a few days. I think every daughter/son should spent time with each other if they like each other. The key word here has to be like. I saw many mothers and daughters who were so fed up with each other, I am sure it was not very pleasent for them to share cabins. susiesails

Susie - It sounds like you had a great trip. I have a suite question. Were suite guests permitted to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill? What about lunch? Thanks.
Susie was in the same category cabin that we were in when we did the world cruise, an SY cabin, which doesn't qualify as a suite as far as perks are concerned. Breakfast/lunch in the Pinnacle (if available) would be limited to SA,SB,SC and PS.

Here is a typical supper menu, although there is nothing typical about them.

Supper

Freshly baked bread

Sesame Italian rolls, 6-grain rolls, French baguette

Appetizers

Orange and grapefruit segments, sprinkled with Drambuie

Shellfish cocktail, a combination of bay shrimps, bay scallops, muscles and crabmeat,

seafood cocktail sauce

Asian style pork tenderloin, plum sauce, mango relish and lychees

Baba ghanush and hummus platter, pureed eggplant, garbanzo beans and roasted red

bell pepper, tabbouleh salad and warm pita

Caribbean island conch fritters, chile pepper and corn dip

Penne with marinara sauce and red chile flakes (also available as an entrée), spicy

sauce of sweet roasted garlic, tomato, cured pancetta and topped with shaved Parmesan

Soups and salads

Curried pasta fagioli with spinach, thick bean and pasta soup cooked in a hearty

chicken broth with a hint of curry

Cream of cauliflower and blue cheese, garnished with oyster crackers

Chilled apricot soup, whipped cream

Greek salad, feta cheese, tender artichoke, kalamata olives, sun ripened tomato,

red onion and cucumber over crisp torn romaine lettuce

Gourmet mixed garden salad greens, topped with alfalfa sprouts, Belgium endive,

red bell pepper and croutons

Choice of dressing: house vinaigrette, Asian sesame, thousand island or blue cheese

Choice of fat free dressing: Italian, raspberry vinaigrette, ranch or lemon herb

Entrees

California cobb salad, tarragon dressing, romaine lettuce, bacon, chicken, hard

boiled egg, tomato wedges, avocado, cucumber, red onion and gorgonzola

Sautéed fresh flying fish fillet, served with crisp green beans, carrots and black

bean rice

Dover sole meuniere, basted with drawn butter and served with peapods, baby carrots

and sautéed potato

Broiled rib eye steak Café de Paris, broiled to your liking and served with grilled

asparagus, half tomato and lyonnaise potato

Osso buco, traditional gremolata, vegetable brunoise and saffron risotto

Chicken breast with fennel and carrots, marinated with honey, lemon juice and cayenne

Sautéed Wisconsin veal medallions, morel cream sauce, young vegetables and black

peppered fresh linguine

Vegetarian stuffed green bell pepper, filled with stewed garbanzo and braised in

paprika sauce, rice pilaf

Now this menu was a bit atypical as it contained some pretty weird stuff as you

can see, past menus have been stuff to die for every dinner and supper? I am already

tired of food, but have lost 6 pounds to date since I got on the ship. I think it

is the new meds I am taking, I am eating my heart out every day, but trying to pick

low carb food for mom and myself. But this is what we are faced with when they give

us the menu every dinner and supper in the very elegant main dining room.

There is another cafeteria-style restaurant (lido deck) with equally good food but only 4-5 choices

of entrée and about a zillion choices of fruit, veggies, salads, cheeses, fresh fruit,

ice cream 6 kinds and many desserts. I am doing pretty well avoiding the desserts,

not excellent, but pretty good. We have started going there for lunch and breakfast.

Other food available is a deli with pizza and sandwiches, a grill that serves hot

dogs and hamburgers, also chicken breast sandwiches and another award winning exclusive

restaurant, the Pinnacle.

They also serve Tea every afternoon in the crows nest at the front of the ship on the top floor.

We went there today and had cucumber sandwiches, and other tiny sandwiches, like chicken salad and others, 5 kinds of cakes and cookies,

tiny cream puffs, tiny éclairs, scones, strawberry jam, and whipped cream, oh I

can’t remember all what they served. It was a beautiful presentation and the staff

is watched closely to make sure they do a good job. Susiesails

I check in about 4 times a day to see if you got back from Columbia and we're still praying for you. Can't wait to read more about your trip, but first, please tell us that all is well with you.

We were on the Prinsendam for the next sailing after you got off and all of the staff and crew spoke so very highly of you all. The Captain said you folks had very few casualties, folks that left the cruise early. We had more for our 25 day trip than you folks had for 105 days.

Believe it or not, but I never heard a grumble from anyone on our trip and I talked to at least half of the passengers. What a wonderful bunch of people we met. Never a discouraging word and always the same comment, "I sure do LOVE this ship". Over and over. We booked our next cruise onboard and because we never got bored or anxious to get home, we booked a 46 day Taste of Two Continents, on the Prinsendam of course. This will be our World Cruise because I will never be able to talk my husband into going for that long or longer. It took me months to get him to agree to this next cruise, but when we were onboard he was a lot easier to convince.

Your style of writing is very sweet and I envy your enthusiasm. We have lost so much enthusiasm as we've aged, but I will say that I talked three other couples into talking to the onboard cruise consultant about the 46 day trip after I recited the itinerary. Please be well, Susie.

I have hesitated to come here and share my news. I have been given the news that I have 2 protruding discs in my neck and 2 in my lower back. However, this is not the very sad news.

I have been given the diagnosis of MS also. I have done difficult things before, but this one has me kind of devastated. I can see from my thinking that I am trying to get a handle of having yet another thing to conquer in my life, but some how I will make it thru this one also.

I have said over and over that I will never be in bed again. This is a pretty motivating force in my life, so for right now I am sad, but will find a way thru this maze I have just entered.

I hope you bear with me while I try to get a grip on my life. I will post more when I can. susiesails

Susie, I am truly sorry to read your sad news.:( I don't have great words of wisdom or a promise of miracles, but you do have my sincere sympathy, ineffectual as that may be. You are one of the bravest people I've ever encountered, and I only know you through your posts here. Despite what you wrote, I think you actually do have a very strong grip on life. You have a bright spirit. I hope you have friends and family near you to help you and love you. Again, I'm so sorry.

Thanks so much for brightening our days - I hope in some small way we can brighten your days, at least, by knowing that perfect strangers who only have our love of the sea in common, can think so well of you and wish you the very best.

I have a friend who has had MS for years and can enjoy life and smile and be a happy person thru the struggles. But it did take some time to come to terms with it all.

MaryAnn

Susie, thank you for sharing with us. All of us wish there was something that we could do or say to help you through this. Please know that we will be thinking about you and hope you can keep in touch with us all through the boards. You seem like a strong person that has dealt with adversity before, so I have a feeling you will find a way to get through this, too.

Archived