Need help with Seward tour--do I have time . . .

crzn4fun

My family is booked on the HAL Ryndam for the July 9, 2006 southbound Alaska cruise. American Airlines just messed up our trip by changing our flights (which I booked months ago for July 6 so we would have a day in Anchorage and a full day and night in Seward) to about 30 minutes earlier. My DD has finals that day for a summer session at college and we would barely be able to make the 3:45 pm, but now they moved it to 3:18 pm. No way! I called American and that is the only daily non-stop to Anchorage from Dallas. The Friday flight is sold out so now we are not able to fly into Anchorage until Saturday night. I had the AK RR booked for Saturday morning and the 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise when we arrived in Seward at 11:30 am. I have been able to move the train reservations to Sunday, but am a little concerned because the boat tour doesn't end until 5:30 and the ship sails at 8pm. My question is: has anyone tried to do the Kenai Fjords cruise and leave on their cruise ship on the same day?

I had an occasion that came up once in college that coincided with a final exam. I spoke with the instruction, and she was able to make alternate plans to test with another class. Perhaps that's an alternative?

If that doesn't work, I too, believe you have plenty of time to take the KFNP tour prior to embarkation the same day.

Thank you both for the replies. I have already made the changes on the air, so we will just have to work with the schedule as it is now. The rest of my family is saying they do not want to chance it, so I guess we will just enjoy the afternoon in Seward and visit some of the areas in town. The Sea Life Center sounds interesting, we will probably go there. Oh well, this gives me an excuse to do another trip to Alaska! If I have learned anything from this experience, it is that I should have done the northbound cruise. That way we would have had Seward at the end instead of the beginning, so we would have more time there. Live and learn!

instructOR... not instruction... what was I thinkin'? I think I need a grammar instructor!

Anyway, glad you have it worked out. I think you'll find several things you wish you'd done differently on this trip to 'file away' for planning your next trip. It sure makes the next one easier, too.

We took a southbound last year, only allowed 2 nights in Anchorage pre-cruise. This time, we're taking northbound, and have allowed 8 nights post-cruise. Live and learn is right!

Many do a wildlife cruise before boarding their big cruise ship. Your ok to get to the ship around 6pm. It won't sail till around 9pm.

You would have time to do Exit Glacier, Sealife Center and a dog sled ride all before you head out if arriving by the 11am train. There is also kayaking, bike and surrey rentals, and a nice paved trail along the waterfront and lagoon. Let me know if you want anymore help.

We took a southbound last year, only allowed 2 nights in Anchorage pre-cruise. This time, we're taking northbound, and have allowed 8 nights post-cruise. Live and learn is right!

Just curious-why would you want to do your touring post cruise? The land tours are much more exhausting, moving physically from place to place, schlepping luggage, possibly on and off busses. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the land tour first, then you veg out on the ship and do as much or as little as you wanted or felt like? We always do any land tour first, so I can sleep for days if I feel like it. Just curious.

Just curious-why would you want to do your touring post cruise? The land tours are much more exhausting, moving physically from place to place, schlepping luggage, possibly on and off busses. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the land tour first, then you veg out on the ship and do as much or as little as you wanted or felt like? We always do any land tour first, so I can sleep for days if I feel like it. Just curious.

We are doing our own put together land tour in a few weeks. FLy into Anchorage pick up a one way rental car.. Head up to denali on monday, shuttle into the park on tuesday.. wednesday drive back to talkeenta and do a glacier flight seeing tour that evening at 7 30.. then on thursday head down to seward.. with a kenai fjords tour on friday.. then on saturday drive to whittier.. drop off luggage.. and then drop off car.. walk back to cruise.. and then relax for 7 days..

Where does one drop off luggage in whittier? for the princess lines? and where does one pick it up in vancouver? we more then likely will catch a cab to the airport

Thanks

I disagree- this is commonly true of cruisetours which some are very poorly planned. But my independent touring never falls into this. Key is proper planning with the most important factor, time. For me the cruise is more active- I an out on deck most of the sailing time, enjoying the views. I don't want to miss that wonderful wildlife sighting- up early, retire at dusk. :)

My family is booked on the HAL Ryndam for the July 9, 2006 southbound Alaska cruise. American Airlines just messed up our trip by changing our flights (which I booked months ago for July 6 so we would have a day in Anchorage and a full day and night in Seward) to about 30 minutes earlier. My DD has finals that day for a summer session at college and we would barely be able to make the 3:45 pm, but now they moved it to 3:18 pm. No way! I called American and that is the only daily non-stop to Anchorage from Dallas. The Friday flight is sold out so now we are not able to fly into Anchorage until Saturday night. I had the AK RR booked for Saturday morning and the 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise when we arrived in Seward at 11:30 am. I have been able to move the train reservations to Sunday, but am a little concerned because the boat tour doesn't end until 5:30 and the ship sails at 8pm. My question is: has anyone tried to do the Kenai Fjords cruise and leave on their cruise ship on the same day?

OK, I am going to pull my "expert" hat on. You have time for a Kenai Fjords boat tour and I strongly suggest you consider taking it. It is my top recommended marine tour in all of Alaska, and you know I've been on plenty?? Are you going with Alaska Heritage??? They will pick up at the depot, store your bags, then transfer you to your ship. Life has no guarantees, but your odds are 99.999% in your favor.

Hi BQ and all:

Yes, we are booked through Alaska Heritage. They seem to think its not a problem either. Now I have to convince my family!

I don't think it makes all that much difference whether you book the land portion before or after a cruise, what my problem was this time was that rather than end in Alaska, we are starting there, so I cannot now add any land portion in Alaska after our cruise. Had I booked the Vancouver to Seward route (because we could not sail before July 6 and have to be home by July 31) it would not have been as much of a problem. After reading the reviews on the Ryndam I really wanted to try that ship so again, my dates were limited by when she sailed.

Oh well, I am determined to enjoy my vacation no matter how much time we get to spend in Seward. I would have liked to spend more time there, but will definitely plan better next time.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Hi greatam... an answer to why we're touring after the cruise this time. We had to use our airline tickets prior to June 6th. The shuttle we wanted for DNP isn't available until June 1st. To me, the greatest 'downside' is the fact that we have the longest flight following the trip when I just want to get home!!!

We've rented an RV (your story helped convince us to purchase the CDW policy) and plan to relax around a campfire or two! We have 8 nights for Seward to Denali so we're not at break-neck speed.

I don't get to cruise Alaska enough where I even want to go to sleep at all... much less 'sleep for days':)!

We sail Saturday!!!

crzn4fun... hope you decide to go ahead with the KFNP tour. Looks like you've got plenty of experienced cruisers giving you the thumbs up to go for it. We're looking forward to our first visit to the park Memorial Day!

Archived