Are Dress Blues appropriate?

The US Marine Corps Uniform Regulations can be found at: http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/0dce83e13c9c8aa685256c0c0066c2e0/6d62f5fbea2cc03a85256850005ee8de?OpenDocument

AND

Basic guidance (Active Duty/Reservist/Retiree and Former Marines)

Source Document - Chapter 11 MCO P1020.3G, Marine Corps Uniform Regulations

Grooming Standards.

Anyone who wears the Marine Corps Uniform must abide by the Marine Corps Grooming standards (paragraph 1004 and 8000.2 of the Uniform Regulations). Active duty/Reservists/Retirees and former Marines must also abide by the height and weight standards (paragraph 8000.2 of the Uniform Regulations).

Activities where you may not wear the Uniform.

Paragraph 11002 of the Uniform Regulations provides a list of activities that you may not wear the uniform (i.e. to an event that brings discredit to the Corps, to events in support of political interests, private and/or commercial employment…).

Retiree/Reservist Wear of Uniforms.

As a Retiree/Reservist you may wear the uniform for basically any event that you wore the uniform while on active duty.

So TECHNICALLY, a Retired Marine may wear his / her uniform at a Formal Social Event. I know the Navy regs are similar.

You have all been so kind with your encouraging words. Thank you. I will definitely encourage DH to wear his Blues!! He did serve his country honorably for 20 years, but honestly, we're loving the retired life!! We're still young (mid-40's) and healthy and enjoying life!! Thank you everyone. If any of you are sailing aboard the Miracle on Oct. 1st, please let me know. We're going to be celebrating our 24th anniversary. (Yes, we were very young when we got married on a Friday night in Las Vegas, the day after he graduated from DI school, after dating for less than 3 months! And they said it wouldn't last.... :) )

:mad: TECHNICALLY uniforms should NOT be worn on cruises. During the Vietnam war, wearing a uniform would have probably resulted in your being thrown overboard. THANK GOD, times have changed. If you are going to wear a uniform make sure it fits well and you look sharp. God bless our Armed Forces. Ftrplt

Unless prohibited by regulations, technically there is no issue.

I hope your DH wears them on your cruise!

Enjoy!

~e

From Military.com: http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,31769--1,00.html

Retiree Uniform Regulations

In general, the uniform may be worn for ceremonies or at official functions when the dignity of the occasion and good taste would dictate the propriety of the uniform. Whenever the uniform is worn, it must be done in such a manner as to reflect credit upon the individual and the service from which retired.

Appropriate occasions for wearing the uniform include memorial services, military weddings, military funerals, military balls, patriotic or military parades, and ceremonies in which military units are taking part, meetings or functions of associations where the membership is largely or entirely composed of honorable discharged or retired military personnel, and any other occasion where, in the judgment of the retired member, wearing of the uniform is appropriate. On these occasions the uniform may be worn while traveling to and from the ceremony, provided that such travel may be completed on the day of the ceremony.

- Wearing a uniform after retirement is a privilege granted in recognition of faithful service to country. Retirees should exercise this privilege whenever possible and in such a manner as to reflect credit upon themselves and uniformed services.

- Retirees who are advanced to a higher grade upon retirement may wear the insignia of such higher grade while participating in retirement ceremonies and thereafter.

- Retirees on active duty will wear the uniform and insignia prescribed for members on Active Duty for their corresponding grade and branch. Retirees not on active duty may wear either the uniform reflecting their grade and branch on the date of their retirement or the uniform for members of corresponding grade and branch, when appropriate. The two uniforms may not be mixed. The grade worn will be as shown on the retired grade of rank line on the retirement order.

- Retirees not on active duty are not authorized to wear the uniform when they are instructors or responsible for military discipline at an educational institution unless the educational institution is conducting courses of instruction approved by the Armed Forces.

Retiree Uniform Restrictions.

Wear of the member's uniform is prohibited for all retirees:

• In connection with the promotion of any political or commercial interests or when engaged in off duty civilian employment. Reserve technicians who are also members of the Ready Reserve may wear their uniform at their option while on duty in their civil service status.
  • When participating in public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies, or public demonstrations, except as authorized by competent authority.
  • When wearing the uniform would bring discredit upon the Uniformed Services.
  • When specifically prohibited by DoD Regulations.

kitty

Wow, that was very helpful, alphakitty. Thanks. DH just informed me that if he is to wear his Blues, he will have to shave off his sexy beard and mustache. :( But he promised me he'd grow it back after the cruise :)

Spookswife--You've got a handsome man on your hands!!

From Military.com:

- Wearing a uniform after retirement is a privilege granted in recognition of faithful service to country. Retirees should exercise this privilege whenever possible and in such a manner as to reflect credit upon themselves and uniformed services.

kitty

Lawsy what is it about a man in uniform that makes my heart go pitter patter? By all means have your husband wear his uniform and please thank him for his service for me!

Wow, that was very helpful, alphakitty. Thanks. DH just informed me that if he is to wear his Blues, he will have to shave off his sexy beard and mustache. :( But he promised me he'd grow it back after the cruise :)

Spookswife--You've got a handsome man on your hands!!

Hmm, wouldn't think he'd have to lose the mustache, but that may be Marine Corp regs. They got rid of beards in the Navy in 1984, not long after I joined. I've had my mustache the whole time though, except boot camp. I tried to grow my hair a little and attempted a goatee after I got out and couldn't stand it. I still pretty much keep my hair, beard and mustache Navy reg. Old habits die hard, but it makes it easy when I do want to wear my uniform to something special.

Our son, a Marine, wore his dress blues to both formal nights on the two cruises we took recently. On both cruises, he ran into other Marines on the ship. Dress blues are considered formal attire. You earned the right to wear them so wear them with pride. :D Thank you for your service to our country. Semper Fi - A Marine Mom (aka travel girl23).

My USMC retiree husband wore his dress mess uniform for formal night on the Majesty a few years ago; he looked great and was well-received by our fellow cruisers.

We're going on the Enchantment in a few weeks, but he's decided not to wear the uniform this time because he doesn't want to shave his beard.

Not that you need another person telling you it is ok, but I whole-heartedly agree that he should wear them. I am getting married in August and both my brothers have agreed to wear their dress uniforms. I find it a great honor for them to do so. I show them off with pride everytime they wear any military uniform, even if they are in their BDU's. Thank you to both of you for his service and your support.

Kat-

Air Force and Army sister

Archived