POLL: Do you fly in the day of embarkation or before?

flagger

Do you fly in the day before or day of embarkation?  

537 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly in the day before or day of embarkation?

• I/we fly in the day of embarkation
    • I/we fly in the day(s) before embarkation
    • I cruise out of my home port...neener, neener, neener

We have had some bad experiences with weather flying to Florida, at Dallas, at Atlanta, at Houston, and at Chicago. So now we always fly in a day early,to make up for the weather delays at these airports.

Bill

It depends on a few factors for us, but we almost always fly in the day of embarkation because:

1) Since we live on the West Coast, if there are cruises which leave out of SF or Seattle, we can usually get there in plenty of time by flying the same day. We choose nonstop flights that leave as early as possible to avoid delays. We've never had a problem here.

2) If the airfare is substantially cheaper through the cruiseline, then we will also fly in the same day as the ship leaves.

After 10 cruises, we've never really had a problem with the timing on flights for embarkation. We're doing it again this August on the Mercury out of Seattle.

SDCruiser

What is neener? :o

Anyway, as a general rule, yes, but not always, so I didn't vote as there was no choice for mostly, but not always. I prefer to, but some times it just doesn't come together in which case I want insurance that will cover this. I want to be able to catch my ship at the next port!

Our new, post 9/11, rule is that vacation begins the day before where ever we are going, especially when flying to a cruise.

It has made getting there much more enjoyable and more part of the vacation. The big thing is, my wife and I are not ready to kill each other before we ever get there. Since we can both relax and take it easy, we don't get on each other's nerves.

A few years ago, (still post 9/11) while traveling to visit some relatives, we had one of the most enjoyable afternoons ever. We spent it in one of the main concourses in the airport in Cincinatti, during a five hour planned layover. We sat in the main concourse people watching, reading our books, eating lunch, snacking on fresh made kettle corn, and yes; talking to each other.

So from now on, the day before actual 'vacation' is the slow down travel day. It is the prep day for the vacation.

If we have to fly to the port, we like to go a day ahead of time. We have also learned to stay a day later and fly home the next morning. Not only do you get to do a little sight seeing of the port town, but the airport is a little less crowded. It's such a rude awakening to have to get off a cruise ship and go to the airport. I'm probably one of the few who isn't at all anxious to get home.

We normally fly the day before. Luckilly, my parents live in the Lauderdale area...so I either travel with them or have stayed with them as well pre/post cruise. For our honeymoon cruise in May.. we have to fly the day before.. but with the time difference we will be arriving in Rome at 8am the day of. I wish we could leave earlier, but we can't....there is a thing called a wedding ceremony that is in the way! hehe. I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best. I got cruise insurance too.

We fly the day before. Red eye flights are not my thing. At one time when booking air through the Cruiseline they would do day ahead and include pre-stay at a hotel. Now it is mostly night flights arriving day of sail. Yuck. I don't want to be to tired to start my cruise with a celebration!

:D It is always great starting the vacation a day early!.....even though I live in Florida, both Century cruises I went to FLL on the Friday night. Once I drove down, once I flew.

When I was on the Mercury I flew to SF a day early too. Had almost the whole Saturday to spend walking around and had dinner with Phil and Marti:) .

I am flying up to Norfolk a day early as well! Meeting some folks I am sailing with for dinner and even some who are not on the cruise are joining us as well:) . Carleyshenk and her hubby....I met them here in Jax when they sailed on the Zenith are going to have dinner with us:D .

Its just so relaxing knowing you are in your city of departure a day early! No worries!!!

We prefer to fly in the day before. That way we can get to the ship and settle in before lunch and then have the afternoon to explore and unpack.

We have in the past left on the day of embarkation, but found that by the time we were on ship and settled in we felt rushed and were really tired. Also, once we had a Sunday departure and that Saturday we went absolutely crazy waiting for the next day. If I'm at work the day before it's not so bad, but boy, when the day before is on a weekend and you're not traveling to your destination, the day has at least 35 hours!:eek:

Garry

We are flying in the same day as departure AND arrival in FLL.

I did not give it a SECOND THOUGHT until I watched that "airline reality show" on cable. (Bravo?).

They showed lots of scenes with passengers getting bumped. In particular, was a couple who was leaving for a cruise in FLL in a few hours!! They ended up getting BUMPED TWICE and missed there cruise.

I'm still not worried. If I was, I'd change the date, but it does give me something to think about.

It doesnt help that we are leaving on 9/11, so I expect extra delays. As it stands, I'm probobly getting up at 3:30AM!! At night!!

In hindsite, leaving the day before doesnt look that bad.

Nick

We go down at least the day before when I lived in NY. We missed on New Years cruise - I think 2001 or 2002 - we had a 6 am flight out the day of the cruise (leaving from San Juan) and it was not snowing when we left for the airport but 20 mins later by the time we got to JFK the weather was HORRIBLE. We sat on the runway for about 3 hours before they closed the airport. As a result it just isn't worth not going a day early - you never know (unless you are driving distance what might happen) weather, blackouts etc. I chose to go a night early and relax then get a good night sleep and enjoy my cruise!

Can't really answer you poll the way it is set up.

Depends entirely where I am embarking. If overseas, definitely fly in early.

Boarding up or down the Left Coast, fly in the morning of embarkation, usually, but not always.

Sail out of San Francisco, my preference, leave home one hour before embarkation.

:) Lilly.......Wishing you a wonderful marriage of course, but especially that honeymoon:D .....hoping you love the ship as much as I do...IF I ever had the opportunity to marry again (been divorced going on 20 years)....IF I had the chance to cruise for the honeymoon.....it would DEFINITELY be on the Century....no doubt about it:D ....

But since those chances are slim to none, I will sail her again solo and love every minute of it;)

THANK YOU - actually we got married 4/24 but DH is in year round law school and only has a 2 weeks between his semesters so we had to wait until August for the cruise - I CAN"T wait - But it gives us something to look forward too!!!!

The only time we haven't gone the day before we almost missed the cruise. It was our honeymoon and I'd made a big deal about boarding.....we and a shipment of fresh fruit were the last things on the ship! Next cruise we're driving to the port but still going the day before.

Archived