Granduer cabin 8516- BEWARE!!

Let's take a walk down memory lane. Remember how special your honeymoon was? (Those of us fortunate to take one) It sounds as though RCCL was less than sympathetic to these folks.

Afterall it was RCCL that they chose to spend the honeymoon with.

Imagine finding a flood in your cabin if it weren't your honeymoon.

I say free cruise.

I don't think that they were less than sympathetic with their response. They paid for the damaged items that had monitary value, this is all that they are required to pay. They moved the OP to another room on the ship. IMO it is unreasonable to request money for "priceless" items such as pictures. This would be a great way for someone to take advantage of the cruise line and I don't blame Royal Caribbean for not paying additional for the photos. The only way the should pay for the photos is if they were purchased on the ship and if they were they could be easily replaced. I think Royal Caribbean handled this situation well. Again I am sorry that thsi happend to the OP but a line has to be made in the sand somewhere.

Rara - I too was on your cruise and must agree how happy you and your new DH looked. You guys were great at the newlywed game! I am also a scrapbooker and understand completely what you are saying. I would be devastated. Hopefully, your friends and family can replace some of the things that were ruined. But I definitely feel your pain and sadness. Were you at least able to save your pictures?

While I sympathize with the OP.....why, oh why, does anyone bring something "priceless" on a vacation with them? Do they not know that bad things (accidents) can happen? If something is so important to you - leave it safe at home!!!!! How can a cruise line replace something that is "priceless"? I would never bring something irreplaceable on any type of vacation! Period. Ship happens.........and that is why I don't EVER bring something that I could not bear to lose on a vacation. I think the OP needs to take some responsibility for their actions. jmho

The OP was on her wedding cruise, so its not like she could leave all those wonderful gifts and cards at home. So what responsibility does she have other than wanting to admire the wonderful items she received on the most memorable day (week) of her life. Maybe a free cruise may be a little extreme to ask for, but I don't believe she mentioned anything about wanting a free cruise out of this incident. As mentioned by a previous poster she was just warning any future cruisers of this particular cabin on the Grandeur, just incase there was some hidden mold and mildew. As a future bride to be wed on the Monarch I will take caution with our wedding momentos, as not to be as unfortunate as RaRa and her new DH in this unfortunate incident. Congrats RaRa and the best of luck in the future.

OK, I guess I am the only person that puts everything in the safe. :D Fire proof, yes! I didn't think that it wouldn't be water proof.

I hope you're not talking about the safes on the ship as they are clearly not fireproof. A fireproof safe has very thick walls to keep the internal temperature below the level at which paper would begin to burn. The safes on the ship are only meant to provide a reasonably secure location to keep valaubles and nothing more.

Rara,

I too was on the cruise w/ you (I believe I gave one member of your wedding party a pair of socks to wear because his luggage had not arrived!). I can understand RCCL not being able to put a monetary value on the souveniers and momentos collected during your cruise and wedding...... HOWEVER.... sometimes a little empathy and compassion can compensate for a situation such as this much more than a free cruise ever could. It sounds like RCCL staff expressed no such concern over your lost treasures.

Wishing you all a long and prosperous marriage as you begin your journey through life together!!!!

David

Rara,

I too was on the cruise w/ you (I believe I gave one member of your wedding party a pair of socks to wear because his luggage had not arrived!). I can understand RCCL not being able to put a monetary value on the souveniers and momentos collected during your cruise and wedding...... HOWEVER.... sometimes a little empathy and compassion can compensate for a situation such as this much more than a free cruise ever could. It sounds like RCCL staff expressed no such concern over your lost treasures.

Wishing you all a long and prosperous marriage as you begin your journey through life together!!!!

David

THANK YOU!!!

This was my point exactly. A little compassion and concern for the inconvenience and hassel of the situation was where I was going with the complaint. I should not have been the one hunting down the hotel manager to come and survey the damage. They should have been coming to me.

Anyway...not trying to beat a dead horse here. to each his own opinion.

To all of you who have supported my thoughts, it is much appreciated.

So sorry about this. We were sailing with you on Grandeur. We actually had a similar experience (albeit, not our honeymoon) on Monarch in November '05. Sounds as if you might've had a little more water in the room than us, but our particular leak took out 2 cabins...ours, and the one next to it.

RCI took some time, but came through for us in the end. You'll laugh about this one day!

So sorry about this. We were sailing with you on Grandeur. We actually had a similar experience (albeit, not our honeymoon) on Monarch in November '05. Sounds as if you might've had a little more water in the room than us, but our particular leak took out 2 cabins...ours, and the one next to it.

RCI took some time, but came through for us in the end. You'll laugh about this one day!

You should put down on here, what you did. I think it would give RaRa some avenues. RaRa I wish you the best on this one. I just wish we all could of gotten together before hand (the 2nd leg M&M), but I'm sure you were uber busy. Out of all the rain showers in life, the sunlight does shine and shines brightly.

~JS:)

You should put down on here' date=' what you did. I think it would give RaRa some avenues. RaRa I wish you the best on this one. I just wish we all could of gotten together before hand (the 2nd leg M&M), but I'm sure you were uber busy. Out of all the rain showers in life, the sunlight does shine and shines brightly.

~JS:)[/quote']

We wrote (don't remember to whom we addressed the letter) RCI a polite 2 page letter detailing our version of exactly what happened, which included pictures of our garments that were ruined by the water. Water seeped through a colored scarf that then bled onto other things. Took about 6 weeks to hear from them, but we were happy with their offer of future cruise credits.

We wrote (don't remember to whom we addressed the letter) RCI a polite 2 page letter detailing our version of exactly what happened, which included pictures of our garments that were ruined by the water. Water seeped through a colored scarf that then bled onto other things. Took about 6 weeks to hear from them, but we were happy with their offer of future cruise credits.

Geez, you would think they could have shown the compassion when the incident occurred. I know there is someone of authority on the ship that could have contacted them and extended a future credit voucher, a free dinner @ a speciality restaurant or whatever, and apologys right then and there. It would be the proper thing to do, from a cruiseline that values their customers?

To have to write a letter because customer service/goodwill is lacking from the personelle on the ship tells me only one thing. They just don't care and it's about the $$. The almighty dollar.

• 10 months later...

just to update this siituation from last year...there was a happy ending.

After a very detailed letter we were called by RCCL Riskk Management and they have given us a monetary settlement and a voucher for a future cruise.

It took some time and some patience, but they really did make good on the situation and we have had several calls and appologies from RCCL.

We will be cruising againg with them for our 1st anniversary...same ship, and same itinerary. I get to go back to St Thomas to get back what I lost.

Thanks for everyones support in all of this...

.......And they lived happilly ever after.....:)

Hi! I am glad it all worked out for you.:)

We just returned from the Grandeur and absolutely loved the ship and crew! We stayed in a JS 8544, near the elevators and it was the best room (just in case you decide to stay out of the GS .) :rolleyes:

A little tip! Take a small garbage bag with you this time and keep your souvenirs in it - in a safe place.:D

We honeymooned in St. Thomas in 1979 and it is still my favorite port stop! Enjoy your cruise and Happy Anniversary! ;)

Archived