Transatlantic cruises 2007 need some advice a.s.ap.

I am currently booked on Freedom of the Seas for November 2007, however I have been looking at the transatlantic sailings on Royal Caribbean and two have me very interested, so interested that I am thinking of switching my Freedom of the Seas booking.

The choices are Navigator of the Seas, 13 nights, departs Southampton on November 5th, 2007. Ports of call are:

La Coruna Spain

Lisbon Portugal

Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

Santa CruzCanary Islands

or

Brilliance of the Seas, 15 nights, departs Barcelona on December 2nd, 2007. Ports of call are:

Alicante,Spain

Gibraltar, United Kingdom

Casablanca, Morocco

Funchal Madeira,Portugal

Tenerife Canary Islands

Antigua

I have never been to Europe so all the ports are new to me (except Antigua), I don't know if La Coruna is better than Alicante or Santa Cruz better than Tenerife. So, I need some advice on which ports have more to see/do. Also, which is the better time to cruise doing a transatlantic, November or December ? And does the fact that the Navigator does not have an enclosed solarium matter?

If we choose to do the transatlantic, we will be spending a few days post cruise in England, if we decide on the Brilliance we will also spend a two days post cruise in Barcelona.

Right now I am torn 50/50 between the Navigator since it leaves from Southampton,I am familiar with the Voyager class ships and it sails in November and the Brilliance which looks as if it has the better itinerary.

They are both priced the same so cost is not a factor in making a decision.

I need to make this decision by Monday so any and all advice is appreciated.

Here is my opinion for what it's worth. I would choose the Brilliance mostly because she is our favorite ship. But the itinerary looks more interesting to me. We are most likely going to book a transatlantic as well. We are looking at the Voyager leaving Barcelona on Dec8? 2007.

The Voyager has a very nice itinerary, but it ends in Galveston and I would have to work out getting back home from there. It's much easier to get to Trinidad from Miami or Fort Lauderdale so that rules out the Voyager!

Thanks for the advice, my travel agent also prefers the Brilliance.

The good news is, you probably can't go wrong with either of them. My pick would be the Brilliance because it is 15 days instead of 13. We've done 4 transatlantics, all on Royal Carribbean (Song of Norway, Sun Viking, and 2 on Splendor of the Seas).

Tenerife and Santa Cruz may be the same place. The port for Tenerife is Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The only other Santa Cruz in the Cannery Islands is is Santa Cruz de la Palma on La Palma. Royal Caribbean always seems to call at Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

Our transatlantic cruises have been in April, May, and November. The weather has been temperate (warm but not hot) on all of them. A solarium is a nice feature for a transatlantic with the cooler temperatures to deal with.

Certainly the cruise that stops at Casablanca will be the most exotic, but they are both pretty good.

We're also looking to book a winter transatlantic. The Brilliance on Dec 2nd seems to have a more exotic itinerary. Just not sure if it makes sense to book a balcony for a winter crossing. Have you checked with what to expect weather wise? I can't find a site that gives me winter ranges. We love the Barcelona to Miami ports that are scheduled. And with an enclosed pool area we know we will be comfortable on the ship. Hope to decide soon, we may be booked on the same cruise.:D

travelteam weather conditions are also something that I have been considering since I am from a warm climate. I found this site which gives an hourly,daily forecast for each city. I checked forecasts from last December and November :

http://www.wunderground.com/

Search for the country then look for "history and almanac" which is listed under "current conditions". Punch in the dates you are looking for and you get a very good hourly forecast.Here is one for Barcelona on December 2, 2005.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LEBL/2005/12/2/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Deepwatermariner, I was thinking the same thing about Santa Cruz! I really like the Brilliance's itinerary so I might be swaying in that direction.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far.

We're also looking to book a winter transatlantic. The Brilliance on Dec 2nd seems to have a more exotic itinerary. Just not sure if it makes sense to book a balcony for a winter crossing. Have you checked with what to expect weather wise? I can't find a site that gives me winter ranges. We love the Barcelona to Miami ports that are scheduled. And with an enclosed pool area we know we will be comfortable on the ship. Hope to decide soon, we may be booked on the same cruise.:D

When you said the balcony I can say from just going on one and it was an Apr-May crossing this year that we didnt use it much due to how cool the air was and we had an aft balcony where the breeze didnt blow on us much. While in the warm areas before we hit Bermuda was fine but after that we didnt have the door open much. If you are one who loves warm air then I would say dont spend the extra, save it for tours or something, and just do the outside room IMHO.

Syndjy: thanks for that weather site. I can see it will be cool, but no iceburgs during the cruise. We're thinking of the JS...more room for the sea days, and with my DH in a wheelchair, we're probably in the room more than most.

Thanks for your help. Will probably book this week.:)

One last comment (or two). My philosophy on transatlantic cruises is to book an outside cabin that is midships and on a lower deck. Two of our four transatlantics, one spring one fall, were fairly rough crossings. The sea is truely awsome to watch from a deck two or three cabin and there is less motion. The upper decks, particularly fore and aft tend to magnify the motion.

Also, now arguing the exact opposite, since one cruise touches at Antigua, there will probably be some time to enjoy a balconey on the Caribbean end of the trip but perhaps for only a third of the cruise.

check out the roll calls for Brilliance for this years winter transatlantic. Lots of info regarding weather and what to expect. We're booked because we want to revisit Barcelona, and the other ports seemed so exciting. The ship has a covered pool area, and lots to do during the sea days. We also love those days to linger, refresh and rest in a blissful setting. This is our first RCCL, previously we did Princess through the Panama Canal B2B with a pacific coast cruise - total 21 days. So we're looking forward to that restful, exciting ship experience. That's why we opted for the JS. We know we will spend more time in the cabin on this trip.

Took an NCL cruise out of NYC this past January. Seas were 30/40 feet with winds up to 60 miles per hours. Neither of us got sick, but I did take Bonine each night before bedtime.

Hope you join us. :D

Hello Syndyj and Travelteam,

We are booked on the Dec. 2, 2007, Transatlantic cruise. We are going to do the b2b with the Nov. 23rd, 9 night Mediterranean cruise before the Transatlantic.

We did the crossing twice on Splendour of the Seas but not this late in the year. I think they were both in October and the weather and seas were just perfect. It was warm and sunny and the sea was smooth. So I’m not sure what it will be like in December.

We spent a day in Trinidad a few years ago while on a HAL cruise. I hope to return sometime again and to visit Tobago also.

Travelteam…We have a JS cabin booked on the Brilliance. This size cabin will work out fine for someone in a wheelchair. But the bathroom may be a bit small. Are you looking into a handicap cabin? We have been on a Mediterranean cruise on the Brilliance in 2004 and just loved it.

Gloria

It's probably misleading to look at only one review of a crossing for Nov/Dec to determine sea conditions. Weather and sea conditions change from day to day. I think the Brilliance cruise has the best shot at avoiding rough seas because it will take the more southern path although both cruises are pretty far south. The Navigator must cross the Bay of Biscay which is notoriously rough. Our rough crossing on the Splendour was in mid to late November and took a more northerly course. It was supposed to stop in the Azores but that was cancelled due to rough seas and we also stopped in Bermuda. We did a crossing in early May which was more southern but still experienced some sizeable swells, so you never know. Our last crossing on Splendour (early November) had smooth seas on the crossing but a real rough night in the Bahamas so go figure. If you spend two weeks on a ship chances are some days won't be as smooth as we like.

Good to see two people have signed up for the TA on the Brilliance. I had a training seminar all day and only just got my hands on a pc. I also got some more information from my travel agent so hoping to make a decision very soon.

Tobago is a gorgeous island, Trinidad is not really geared towards tourism so I am afraid the city is much like "big" city with traffic,lots of people and tall buildings but when you get away from the city the rainforest and Maracas Bay are very nice.We don't get much cruise ships stopping here and Tobago only gets a few

Thanks to everyone who responded,you have been very helpful.

One last comment (or two). My philosophy on transatlantic cruises is to book an outside cabin that is midships and on a lower deck. Two of our four transatlantics, one spring one fall, were fairly rough crossings. The sea is truely awsome to watch from a deck two or three cabin and there is less motion. The upper decks, particularly fore and aft tend to magnify the motion.

Also, now arguing the exact opposite, since one cruise touches at Antigua, there will probably be some time to enjoy a balconey on the Caribbean end of the trip but perhaps for only a third of the cruise.

I was waiting to read this from someone. I thought maybe it was just me, but I'm surprised RCCL is pushing these Med and Transatlantic cruises later and later in the year. I think November will be cool, and a good chance of rough seas. December WILL be cool, and a VERY good chance of rough seas.

We were in the Med / Agean late last October, and our weather all the through the cruise was in the high 60's with some very rainy days in there.

So, if the price is right, go for it, but don't expect the sunny and warm temps that time of year, and take your motion on the ocean pills.

Archived