Live from the Pride of Hawaii!

kat28

Wow, thanks for the detailed reporting, Maeve...very useful info...can't wait to see if they're offering the lava flow when we're on board...sounds like a concoction I'd make...although really, I don't drink that much, there's a time and place for everything.;)

Mahalo,

Barb

originally posted by Maeve619

A number of people have commented to me on how happy they've been with the photographer(s) and the quality of the results.

I couldn't agree more. My pictures from the Pride of Hawai'i are great, and I had an excellent time speaking with the photographers around the ship and in the photo gallery. The first "Pride of Hawai'ians" I met were, of course, the photographers taking the embarkation photos.:D They made a great first impression and made us feel very welcome before we even set foot aboard the ship.

The pictures that they took are all around my computer here:D . Rachael, Bill, Bryan, Cy, and Marco --Thanks for the memories!

ps, what is ther to do on the boat on the afternoons in Maui? Alot of the excursions end around noon.

Judy

You'll see when you get to Kahului that the ship docks very close in to some interesting areas. You can walk, for example, to Maui Mall just a few blocks away across Kaahumanu Avenue. It's a funky, older mall with walking areas throughout; not too big but has some good shopping there too. Three pretty good plate lunch spots, slightly different, in the middle area as you walk in, and I prefer the first one, a Chinese plate spot. This is local dining, and pretty good stuff. Now, there is one place you MUST try if you like ice creams/sorbets/sherbets. It's called Guri-Guri, which I think is derived from "goody-goody". A small shop on the very west end of the central mall--next to the pet shop. They serve a concoction which is probably the most tasty sorbet/sherbet/ice cream, and that's about all they serve, in a disposable cup with a flat wooden (!) spoon. They serve it by the (tiny) scoop--if you only get two scoops you'll kick yourself. Get five. They have two flavors. The way to order it is to ask for "five-scoop, mixed" and you'll get a cupfull of both flavors. Maybe it's just because we're on Maui, or because it's usually hot, or because there are usually island beauties walking around--but it is something we never miss when on Maui! And it's even worth the walk from the ship.

OK--I got carried away--there are plenty of things to see even from the ship on Maui. From the deck you can see Haleakala on the east--the sugar mill putting out steam (mostly)--the central area full of cane--the highway up the hill at least as far as Pukalani, cars puffing directly up the mountain and braking directly down--the mountain of West Maui, including the Iao Valley--vistas in all directions--and, of course, the activity of the docks, the smashing seas on the breakwaters, etc. etc. etc. It's one of the most scenic places to be dockside that you can hope for. Be sure to charge your camera battery.

As a complete aside, guri-guri comes from the Japanese word "guriguri" - meaning to grind/stir - which is the way that sherbet is made.

Kathie and Maeve - thanks for the posts from onboard!

Spleen

Well, I suppose it had to end, dagnabit. But what a wonderful cruise it was. For all of you coming aboard soon, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. She's a beautiful ship, with the most wonderful friendly staff.

Yes, we had some shakedown glitches, but many of them seem to have been worked out, and I know it will only get better and better.

Kat, by the way, is alive and well, and when she and the other CCers get back to reality, I expect you may see other posts from them.

Travel safe!

-Maeve

Knowing what time it is (yes, in a perfect world you don’t care on vacation, but you don’t want to miss you dinner reservations!):

Bring a watch

The elevators have video displays with the time

There are 2 clocks on the pool deck, Deck 12

In your cabin, Channel 22, with ship info, rotates a clock

If you leave your TV set on iTV, the screen saver has the time on it.

(This may not be as much of a problem on future sailings because for those of us who use cell phones as a clock, you do have connectivity for some of the time.)

“Dolphins swim forward.” This refers to the carpets in the stateroom corridors.

You won’t have a top sheet on your bed, just a duvet cover…but you can ask for one.

You can ask to have your mini bar emptied, especially if you’ll need the refrigerator for medicines, or for storing the little canapés you may get if you have a suite, or if they send them along because you’re with Cruise Critic.

It’s up to the ship’s discretion of course, but on our trip, CC members who were identified before the cruise did get little somethings. Also, the ship provided coffee for one meeting, and wine for our final get together. Also, they invited us to the captain’s cocktail party.

A small bungee cord will keep your balcony door from randomly opening and closing in rough seas.

Most likely place on board to be missed: Bridge viewing area on the fore port side, Deck 11. Every time I was there, one of the navigation staff answered questions…but even if they don’t, it’s cool stuff!

Leaving your bathroom light on and closing the door makes a serviceable night light, at least in my cabing configuration. But you still might find it useful to pack one, it can get pretty dark!

You might also pack a short cord with multiple outlets, there aren’t many in the cabins, generally.

You can have continuous music in your cabin from your TV – either Hawaiian, on Channel 22, pop on Channel 25 (bridge cam), or 10 or so genres on the iTV box.

Overhead announcements are usually on Channel 25 – Bridge cam (NOT on 22, as they are on the Star). (Good luck, though, in finding the remote, changing the channel and increasing the volume *before* the announcement is finished…!)

Don’t believe everything you read on Channel 22. It was NOT Day 3886 of the cruise yesterday, even though it said so…and there no way that pool was 80.1 degrees! J And we did NOT have 12 foot seas in Nawiliwili…but we did on the way over!

Make your restaurant reservations early if you can. Before you unpack!

If you coordinate a CC get together with nametags early in the cruise, you might put those name tags in your carry-ons. J

A banner, bunting or Xmas lights can decorate your balcony, especially if you want a photograph of the ship and want to be able to say – “That one was ours!”

If you’re expecting a bottle of wine from your travel agent, it’s NOT the split of champagne in the mini bar. *grin*

If you buy a bottle of wine, and don’t finish it, you can “park” it. At your next meal, you tell them, “I have a bottle of wine at Cagneys” and someone will dash off to get it for you. Personally, I’ve been picking my restaurants based on distance, to see if I can tire out the junior waiters, but it doesn’t appear to be working, they’re just as cheerful as ever. ;-) Also, you can take the wine you did get from your travel agent to be served in the restaurants without a fee.

Apparently, you can also bring or buy wine on shore, and have it opened and served in the restaurants for a $15 corkage fee.

If there’s a line for the Shore Excursions Desk…don’t panic. Dash to your cabin, and do it all on the iTV. (If you need to cancel an excursion at any time, and you have the ticket, you’ll have to bring that back to the Desk before it can be cancelled, though.)

The reception desk may have copies of old Freestyles, if you realize late in the trip that they would make a nice memento. (umm, well, *I* didn’t think of it at first! Lol)

The reception desk can supply simple meds – seasick and non-aspirin pain meds. I think, anyway, I read that one somewhere.

Don’t forget to look under the bed before you leave, even if *you* didn’t put anything there.

If you borrow the salt shakers from the buffet, please bring them back. Everyone had bland eggs yesterday morning…

Pack sunscreen and a hat! You can buy more, but you should never do without here, the sun is very intense.

A most useful item is a tote bag or backpack, with a zipper or closure, that folds very small. You’ll need it for shore excursions and beach days, and in a pinch, you can use it to carry home all your extra goodies you bought, or won at ships trivia.

If you bring (or plan to buy on board) a lanyard that has the snap hook end on it, you can get them to hole punch your cabin card when it’s issued at embarkation. Others used the kind that had a plastic pocket.

As a complete aside, guri-guri comes from the Japanese word "guriguri" - meaning to grind/stir - which is the way that sherbet is made.

Spleen

Ahh--thank you , Spleen. I appreciate that info. Since the owner is Mr. Tanaka, that further explains it. By the way, this year he has the fastest server I've ever seen--she scoops the servings like a machine gun.

You can ask to have your mini bar emptied, especially if you’ll need the refrigerator for medicines, or for storing the little canapés you may get if you have a suite, or if they send them along because you’re with Cruise Critic.

It’s up to the ship’s discretion of course, but on our trip, CC members who were identified before the cruise did get little somethings. Also, the ship provided coffee for one meeting, and wine for our final get together. Also, they invited us to the captain’s cocktail party.

I didn't see anything on NCL's registration site that mentioned CC. How would they know that I'm a CC member?

Dave

Pride of Hawaii 6/12/06

Can anyone tell me which is the best side of the ship to choose a balcony cabin on (or favorite cabins)?

We will be booking soon on either the Pride of America or Pride of Hawaii for next summer.

Just wondering which side of the ship has more island views.

Thanks,

Tacy

Mike,

How does this cruise compare to the Pride of America?

For those that answered my questions about Maui, I know that there is shopping near the ship but I am not a shopper. I don't like to do that at home, but I may have to try the guri guri ice cream.

Judy

I didn't see anything on NCL's registration site that mentioned CC. How would they know that I'm a CC member?

If someone on your Roll Call chooses to collect the names and cabin numbers in advance, and if they contact Norwegian. I believe Bob and Sandi did it for our sailing. I *think* they emailed the Cruise Director several times to coordinate the spaces we used.

-Maeve

Mike,

How does this cruise compare to the Pride of America?

Judy

I am wondering about the comparison between POH and POAM also. The itenerary for POH doesn't show the scenic cruising to the volcano and to the coast of Kauai. Are these only on the POAM itinerary?

Hello from Kat28! I'm back...I'm in culture shock...I'm jet lagged...I want to go back!!!! Had a great time...I just posted a bit on another thread where the gentleman asked about the AB suites. If you want to check out that thread, I gave a quick review. Overall the cruise was great...glitches with service, some poor-quality food in the main dining rooms...but the friendliness of the all American staff and their willingness to do ANYTHING to make you happy made the cruise most memorable. Plus Hawaii has got to be the most beautiful place on earth! We rented a car from Thrifty in each port and were very happy that we did. We hit many many different scenic spots on the islands. Both my daughter and I cried when we left last night. I envy all of you who are getting ready to board the mighty POH!!! Let me know if I can answer any ???

We rented a car from Thrifty in each port and were very happy that we did. Let me know if I can answer any ???

Sounds like you had a great time. We are also renting cars in each port, some with Thrifty and some with Budget. Were the rental shuttle vans waiting at each port when you arrived, or did you have to call the rental office for transportation.

Thanks,

Dave

POH 6/12/06

Sounds like you had a great time. We are also renting cars in each port, some with Thrifty and some with Budget. Were the rental shuttle vans waiting at each port when you arrived, or did you have to call the rental office for transportation.

Thanks,

Dave

POH 6/12/06

Glad you had a great cruise...I'll be on the POH June 19th and can't wait.

Sorry about the earlier post with just a quote...still learning how to use this site "_.

This question is for anyone who just got off of the Pride of Hawaii yesterday. Just curious as we sail 3 weeks from tomorrow and are working on a CC get together on our roll call forum. How many people were in your cruise critic party on the ship?

Do you know if there is a minimum number for NCL to be willing to host things like the coffee and wine and to invite you to the captain's cocktail reception or give the benefits such as Canope's in your stateroom?

I was very impressed when I heard you were treated so well by NCL. I think if we can share more of what the benefits are of participating in CC events on board, there will be more people on our roll call forum who want to participate.

Also, does anyone know how you go about getting the cruise directors email address to arrange these get togethers?

Thanks so much for your help.

Can anyone tell me which is the best side of the ship to choose a balcony cabin on (or favorite cabins)?

We will be booking soon on either the Pride of America or Pride of Hawaii for next summer.

Just wondering which side of the ship has more island views.

Thanks,

Tacy

I can only speak for the Pride of America, since I don't know if the itineraries for other ships would change this: most definitely, choose the port side. You can watch the approach to Maui and Kahului from your port balcony; you can see the Kona coast arising from the darkness as you approach; and especially you can watch the Na Pali coastline on Kauai in a wonderful panoramic slow cruise-by, all from the port side.

If you want to see a cool video of the lava flow the recent passengers on the Pride of Hawaii just saw, go to the below website and click on the link in the middle of the page titled "Lava Flow from The Pride of Hawaii". It will probably only be there a short time since it's a news website and the news changes daily. So check it out while it's still there if you're interested.

http://www.khnl.com/

I highly recommend Thrifty. Join the Blue Chip club online and you will not wait in any line. The paperwork will be all done for you. The shuttle will be waiting or you in each port. They were the cheapest and gave wonderful service to us in each port. The cars were all brand new and clean. We rented a compact car each time but always they gave us a bigger car for no extra charge.

kat28

Thanks thecruisers723, the lava video was pretty cool.

I am still confused about the side of the ship that we may really want to be on-2 different answers have been given.

Any others want to pipe in on their experience?

Thanks,

Tacy

Time to Travel. This is my first post, so I am new. My husband and I will be on the Pride of Hawaii June 19th. This trip is to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Thanks to Kat for all your post, I enjoyed them very much. This is only our 2nd cruise ever and first time to Hawaii, so we welcome any advice. I can't wait!!

Time to Travel. This is my first post, so I am new. My husband and I will be on the Pride of Hawaii June 19th. This trip is to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Thanks to Kat for all your post, I enjoyed them very much. This is only our 2nd cruise ever and first time to Hawaii, so we welcome any advice. I can't wait!!

This is our first cruise. We are celebrating our 25th too. We actually decided on our wedding night that we would go to Hawaii on our 25th anniversary. So you can say we've been planning this for 25 long years!

I've got everything planned out to the nth degree, but now I don't know what to do with myself for the next 2 weeks.

Are you doing anything special for your anniv? I understand there is some sort of wine and cake party for those celebrating anniversaries and honeymoons. Do you know anything about that?

We have our rental cars and shore excursions all booked and reserved, got the suitcases out and ready, have made the packing lists...don't know what else I need to do.

Hawaii here we come!

Archived