TSA locks?

Perseids

Is it worth the effort to buy the TSA locks and put them on your luggage??? I have seen a few posts that state that the inspectors still cut their locks off. I would like to lock our luggage but don't want to spend the $ if they are going to cut them off anyway.

Have others put TSA locks on their luggage and had positive results?

I've been using TSA locks for the last 3 years and have never had them cut off. I think when luggage inspections first started I heard of a few being cut off but haven't heard of any problems in the last year. Maybe I've just been lucky.....

Buy the brightly colored zip ties from Home Depot and switch to luggage locks just before you board the ship. Then you don't have to worry about the locks getting cut and your bags are still protected. Don't forget to bring extra ties for the trip home and pack a pair of scissors where you can get to them easily.

I have been using the TSA locks for a few years now. On a flight from Vancouver to Anchorage in 2004 our suitcases were opened and a calling card left inside and then relocked. However, last year on a flight from San Francisco to Seattle, the locks were cut. We were told the cases weren't meant to be locked at all - good security that.

We had the TSA locks cut off of our luggage last year on our return flight from Alaska. We learned our lesson (an expensive one) after that and now just leave our luggage unlocked. We try to keep nothing of any real value in those checked bags, but keep all that stuff (like jewelry, cameras) in our carry-ons. Also, be sure and unhook and stow in your luggage any of thse straps that hook pieces of luggage together. They seem to "disappear" with regularity! They also can get caught in the conveyor belts for luggage at the airports!

Reread post #3. Use the brightly colored zip ties from Home Depot (or Lowe's or WalMart). Easy to see your luggage, very secure (especially if you buy the florescent green or orange ties), and cheap. If TSA wants into your luggage, they will break the locks if needed. Save yourself some money and get the zip ties. A whole lot cheaper and lots of other uses (like holding handles on luggage, fixing eyeglasses, holding balcony doors open). Don't forget fingernail clippers or small scissors in carryon or purse to snip them.

I have been using TSA locks since they came out and only just recently had problems. It was a flight from Japan back to the US and I am not sure at what point they were cut off. I have never had problems flying home from Canada with TSA locks. I will continue to use them because the locks are not that expensive and it is worth it to me to have some protection.

Am I missing something here?????? I thought, when I read about the TSA locks (on their website) it stated that the whole reason for buying them was so that if they wanted to check out the luggage, they all have master keys to open them! I will go for the zip ties next week!!! Also, I ALWAYS

use a neon green piece of material tied to the handle so it is very easy to spot at baggage pick-up.

Archived