Switching from Mariner to Freedom

Seriously considering switching my Mariner 8/27 sailing to Freedom after my weekend preview. Of course cost is higher, and there are only OV triples available, no E-1 balconies like I have booked on Mariner. Now the bigger problem is we are flying into Orlando. Since we are arriving 4 days earlier I was thinking we could still spend a couple of days at WDW and rent car and drive down to MIA. I thought it was 6-8 hours, but mapquest said 4 hours. Is that accurate? That wouldn't be bad at all. Leave at 7 and arrive by 11 am? Any reason this is a bad idea.

Of course, getting home is another issue, would probably just book one-way from MIA back to New York.

The Freedom is going to the same ports as Mariner, although I'm not sure the same days, and I think I would be depressed seeing her along side us. I've not been on Mariner, but have been on Explorer and Voyager and feel they just don't compare.

Can they waitlist for balcony triple? Do they do that?

In my experience, 4 hours from Orlando to MIA is accurate, maybe a little less if you drive fast. :D It's a fairly easy shot down the FLA Turnpike. Just check to see if there are any fires burning in the area around your travel time, but those seem to have calmed down and FLA should be getting more rain by then. Keep in mind that the Turnpike is a toll road.

My drive from JAX to MIA takes 6.5 hours.

They will not be at the same ports on the sme days according to the cruise calander. Yea a lot more money. We are on the Mariner 8-27 As well, I personally would not trade a balcony for a more expensive oceanview. You cant beat the 3-4 passanger for $149.;) What is your cabin number maybe If it is in a better location I can switch cabins if you decide on Freedom.

Sort of cra**y cabin- 6294. Yeah, can't decide. I've only been on the Explorer and Voyager and the Freedom is much nicer than that. Heard good things about the Mariner though. Couple of things I really liked on the Freedom - much wider Promenade, Vintages wine bar, huge gym, even the Windjammer was really nice.

Crowds concern me a little bit. It was fine for our weekend trip, had to believe it was only 75% occupied. Without a balcony might be hard to get a chair of some sort outside on a full ship. But, maybe closer to cancel date, a triple balcony might open up. But still haven't decided, maybe by tomorrow.

Mariner/Navigator are an evolved and superior version of Voyager/Explorer/Adventure.. so the Mariner wouldn't be exactly what you've already experienced, plus it's several years newer.

Mariner/Navigator are an evolved and superior version of Voyager/Explorer/Adventure.. so the Mariner wouldn't be exactly what you've already experienced, plus it's several years newer.

Evolved and superior how? Other than the balconies being in built outside the superstructure, the addition of Chops & Vintages and some decor / art differences, they are the same vessel. You are really splitting hairs when talking about differences between the first 3 and the last 2 Eagle class ships.

I agree Navigator and Mariner are nicer for these differences, but let's face it, if you sailed one Eagle class ship, you've sailed them all.

I would never give up an E1 for an oceanview as I use my balcony very often and it is one of the highlights of a cruise for me.

I was also on FOS and did not come away with the same impressions as many other posters on this board. She is beautiful with some cool design features, art and technology, but IMO she felt crowded then and revenue sailings will be even worse as the ship was not full (and RCI told us it would not be booked full for the fisrt 8 revenue sailings so they could ease into everything). I personally think the pools will be a real problem as will the elevators and tenders. Just my opinion.

Yes, the fitness center is awesome and I was there both days enjoying myself but both Radiance class and Voyager class have great gyms as well.

I am not a Voyager class fan but after cruises on Voyager on AOS, I can say that I would prefer this class over Freedom class. The additional GRT on FOS is not enough to offset the large increase in pax capacity.

Only time will tell and even then many will be dazzled by her size and bells and whistles.

I just don't get it, especially after reading caviargal's post above. It this ship all THAT much better for the price?

I just got one of my email sale newsletters from an online travel agency. I get a gillion of them, and it helps me get a birseye view of who's charging what for when.

The SALE price of an inside cabin on the Freedom, in a not so good time of the year to be cruising, for a ho-hum Western Caribbean itinerary is $900 PLUS fees and taxes.

It's kinda like having to have the latest MP3 player, or cell phone, or TV. If you really get satisfaction from that kind of thing, then I guess the Freedom is cool....and enjoy!! I mean that sincerely. It's just not worth it to me to pay that much more for the cruise.

JMHO

I just don't get it, especially after reading caviargal's post above. It this ship all THAT much better for the price?

I just got one of my email sale newsletters from an online travel agency. I get a gillion of them, and it helps me get a birseye view of who's charging what for when.

The SALE price of an inside cabin on the Freedom, in a not so good time of the year to be cruising, for a ho-hum Western Caribbean itinerary is $900 PLUS fees and taxes.

It's kinda like having to have the latest MP3 player, or cell phone, or TV. If you really get satisfaction from that kind of thing, then I guess the Freedom is cool....and enjoy!! I mean that sincerely. It's just not worth it to me to pay that much more for the cruise.

JMHO

It depends on what kind of vacation experience you want and what's important to you. In some cases, I agree with Caviargal, but she's very clear that she prefers a more refined experience on smaller ships.

Others, like you say, want to be a part of the next big thing.

I'm going b/c I like bigger ships with bells and whistles. We booked ahead, didn't pay a fortune, and got a nice upgrade. The crowds will be a pain, but it will be a unique experience and I'm looking forward to it.

HA-HA Freedom is definitely the next BIG thing. For me, It's not the big I'm into it's the new- I really liked the decor, artwork and modern furnishings. With the Caribbean itinerary it's about the ship. I've been to GC 3 times in the last year. Our last cruise was on HAL, much smaller ship and we loved it, but we originally booked it for the Panama Canal itin. I don't think even my DS(12) will go on the flowrider or the rock wall. I am however, concerned about the crowds, it wouldn't be too bad with a balcony, I may try to waitlist a triple, but without that to fall back on, it's a little scary. Do I need to make a decision before final deposit in two weeks? I can't switch after that, right (well, without penalty). I'd like hear from the first revenue passengers with a full ship on how they managed the crowds.

LDinCT:

In your case, I would go ahead and sail the Mariner, especially with the price difference and cabin. Was on Mariner (have sailed Voyager class 11 times) this month and an excellent ship. You will not be dissapointed. Ship is doing Western carribean and except for the Montego Bay/Ochos Rhios rotation, no difference in ports.

I had the same decision to make myself and feel that it's not worth the price difference in the 2 ships. I've been on several of the maiden voyages of their new ships in the past, had a real nice time, but the hype of a new ship can sometimes be overblown. But, I will admit, there is a certain feeling you get when you sail a new ship, sort of like driving your new car off the lot.

But IMHO not enough differences between the Voyager Class to Freedom Class for that difference.

NOW, when the Voyager class came out originally, that was an experience as it was a major change from the usual cruise ship and could see the higher prices.

Have fun in whatever you choose.

Dave

The Mariner is very nice but you have already been on Voyager Class ships. Since you can get a cabin and are excited about the chance to sail on the Freedom, I would book FOS with a good TA who can put you on a "wait" list for a balcony. Several people on our Roll Call have done this already and been upgraded to a balcony of course at a cost. The August cruise final payment date will be coming up in about 3 weeks, so it won't be long that some folks cancel. Which ever ship you choose, have a great time.

Bon Voyage

It takes me 5 1/2 hours from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale (Pt. Everglades), with stops which I do about 6 times a year (family). Meaning two bathroom breaks and one eating stop (fast food eat in car). If you are traveling with kids bank on about 5 hours. Plus traffic in and around the Ft. Lauderdale area will slow you down a bit, no matter what time of day. As for the ships I have never been on Mariner (until Oct.), but I would pay extra for Freedom. Heck I am paying the same price for an oceanview on Mariner that otherswould pay for an extended blacony on Carinval Miracle (both $2257ish).

As I said before, I hope all of you have wonderful cruises on the Freedom. I was just curious about the draw.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the crowds. They did a good job on designing the Voyager class ships, and they probably have the traffic flow thing designed well on the Freedom.

So, maybe in a few years when the novelty has worn off, we'll take a cruise on her.

Evolved and superior how? Other than the balconies being in built outside the superstructure, the addition of Chops & Vintages and some decor / art differences, they are the same vessel. You are really splitting hairs when talking about differences between the first 3 and the last 2 Eagle class ships.

I agree Navigator and Mariner are nicer for these differences, but let's face it, if you sailed one Eagle class ship, you've sailed them all.

Patrick, do you remember the windjammer setup on the early Eagle class ships compared to the latter?? I presume not. The difference in lines that I encountered between the two ships were very significant in that area and many cruisers on larger ships consider lines that interfere with their grazing habits to be an annoyance.

Also the addition of Boleros which I enjoyed, the glass balconies (rather than feeling trapped in a cage), and as you mentioned the addition of Chops.

No, not HUGE changes but it is in my view an evolution and improvement. Maybe to you that's splitting hairs, but I noticed a difference.

I'm aware of the Jammer difference. I just found your word choice to be strong, but I respect your point of view. I just think in the bigger picture the differences are small. The good part about the boards is we all get an equal voice. :)

Mapquest is correct...but it does not take into account all the traffic. Seriously can take MUCH longer. We tried it 2 times and NEVER again. WE flew into Orlando and rented the car and drove, and drove, and drove....you all get the picture. My friend lives in Mimai and to go to work often takes her 1.5 hours to do a 20 mile trip. So you can imagine.

Archived