What does your TA do for you?

CaptainG

I've used TAs to book both land trips and cruises over the years. I always look for a TA who knows more about the specific trip that I'm booking than I do.

I've usually done a fair amount of research on a trip before I approach a TA. I like the TA I have now--I feel I get information/my cocerns and questions answered. She also helps me pick out cabins.

Faith

Well, while the agent gets paid by the cruiseline, there would be no commission if the client didn't assign the booking to them. There is significant incentive for the agent to favor the client. They want more commissions from you (excuse me, from the cruiseline, but based on your giving them your booking, no matter how you made it) and it certainly is in their best interest to give you something to make you want to continue the relationship.

But who pays the agent only becomes an issue of any sort if there is a dispute. It doesn't take much thought to realize that a travel agent has better access to those poeple within the cruiseline organization empowered to offer resolution. The folks you would get if you called yourself have little training in complaint resolution and, beyond whatever level of courtesy they possess, don't really care much if you hang up happy or upset. Sure, you can keep asking for another supervisor, but why not let someone who can go straight to higher levels work for you. An agent is far more likely to get the maximum the cruiseline would offer and much more quickly.

When there are no disputes, you don't need an advocate, but there is still more that can be done to enhance the cruise experience. I tend to do a lot of research because that is my nature. But I can't know everything and I am pleased that I have someone I can go to with questions. And I know when she answers one, it is based on her knowledge of the facts and factors in what she knows about my preferences. That is a nuance you don't get when asking a question on the open forum. And, I know that on many cruises, I will get some kind of financial benefit that I will almost never get from the cruiseline.

So for those who never have questions they feel they can't answer and also are confident that they need no advocates who know their potential adversary beter than they do, dealing directly with the cruiseline is the way to go. That provides them the privilege of having a cruiseline representative answer their questions directly (and I hope they understand the odds of getting the right answer on the first try) and a sense of total control.

But the rest of us prefer to have someone we trust (and that is a BIG factor - get an agent you trust and has delivered for you or someone you know) to help us out with questions, information and yes, financial benefit for those where that is the top priority.

There really isn't a right/wrong position here, just personal choice. But the OP's question has sparked a pretty good exchange of views on both sides and that's a good thing.

Since a travel agent works for the cruise line who is paying their commission, the cruise line is their client while the person buying a cruise is only their customer. Therefore, a TA can provide good service to their customers who buy cruises from them, but they can only be an advocate for their client, who is the cruise line. If not they are in violation of the laws of agency.

Of course they have to maintain their agreement with the cruiseline. I never implied they would do anything other than find the source of maximum authority and, armed with their knowledge of past practices, recognize when they have reached the best possible solution for both parties.

Why do you find it so hard to believe that an agent can get more from the cruiseline than an individual? That seems to be your opinion since you refute any statement that suggests they can.

I'm sure someone who is very savvy and persistent could eventually find the "assistant vice-president of last resort" eventually, but a TA who works with the cruiseline every day (and those who are large producers even have reps that try to help them get resolutions) can do it quicker. My point is that an individual is far more likely to give up in frustration and accept far less than they might get, either by taking far mor time than the solution is worth or having someone else do it for them AT NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE. That is my point, not the legal language of who an agent "works for".

Let me give you an example. Several years ago, we ended our cruise at the port of Los Angeles. It was a lousy experience. We had cruiseline transport to LAX and, when we got out to the line, we saw a bus pull away. After a good deal of searching for someone with a cruiseline uniform/ID, we were told the next bus would be there in about 30 minutes. Not a good picture, but it was an answer. An hour later (when making our flight was in peril) with no bus in sight, we bolted to the taxi line and made our flight with about 15 minutes to spare.

With no intent other than to let our agent know of the problem so she could inform others to allow more time, we told her about it and about 2 weeks later we got a $50 certificate and an apology from the cruiseline. Totally unexpected and nothing of great value, but illustrating my point that the TA knew there was something available. That monetary compensation is very important to some people. I was more pleased that somebody recognized a problem, even if it was only the cruiselines representative (my TA).

In reality, a travel agent works for the cruise line because that is who pays them their commission. This is similar to a real estate broker who looks for homes with a potential buyer, helps them find a mortgage, and presents their offers to the owner of the property, but actually works for the seller unless they have a special contract to be a buyer's agent and the seller knows it.

The TA is not the client of the cruise company!!! They can sell what ever they like but usually from my experience give good unbiased advice on what the different cruise lines offer and dont offer etc... I have heard a TA tell a client which cruise lines to avoid and from my experience on those cruise lines id totally agree with the TA.

The TA is not the client of the cruise company!!! They can sell what ever they like but usually from my experience give good unbiased advice on what the different cruise lines offer and dont offer etc... I have heard a TA tell a client which cruise lines to avoid and from my experience on those cruise lines id totally agree with the TA.

I agree that the TA is not the client of the cruise company. The opposite is true. A travel agency recruits cruise lines to be their clients. Since a TA has a fiduciary relationship with the cruise company who pays their commissions, the cruise company is their client. On the other hand, a person who buys a cruise is the customer because the TA is merely collecting money from them on behalf of the cruise line.

It would be a completely different scenario if the TA purchased the cabins from the cruise line with their own cash and resold them at a profit to people who wanted to take a cruise. In that case, the relationship between the TA and the other parties involved would not be subject to the laws of agency.

In recent years, the terms client and customer have been frequently used interchangeably, but traditionally they have very different meanings.

It would be a completely different scenario if the TA purchased the cabins from the cruise line and resold them to people who wanted to take a cruise at a profit. In that case, the relationship between the TA would no longer be subject to the laws of agency.

Since you are focusing on legalese rather than the potential value of a TA, that raises a new question. Does a TA who owns her own agency and puts down a deposit on a group of cabins to sell as she sees fit then become an independent contractor?

How about answering my question? Is it not possible that a TA can provide an avenue to a quicker and potentially better resolution to a dispute than an idividual could get without expending a great deal of effort?

I once had a major problem on a cruise ship and my NYC internet agent could have care less so I wrote a few letters and made some calls and got a great settlement.

I dont mind an agent as a go between but personally I like to do the negotiations.

If the guest can substantiate the problem existed its an easy fix with the cruise line. I ve never had a problem since.

Don

Yeah, Don, but that's not the complete picture.

You are a lawyer with a bulldog-like tenacious attitude. You'd pursue what you considered fair long past what I would invest in it. Whereas, I would expect my TA to take it to the limit for me.

Since a travel agent works for the cruise line who is paying their commission, the cruise line is their client while the person buying a cruise is only their customer. Therefore, a TA can provide good service to their customers who buy cruises from them, but they can only be an advocate for their client, who is the cruise line. If not they are in violation of the laws of agency.

You are getting way too technical here. The short and long of this: yes, we get our commission from the cruise lines but it is not like the real estate situation: I had a customer looking for a home: I get my commission for the seller, but I owe both a fair deal: with cruising, yes, I do get a commission from the lines, but there isn't just one line for a client while they may be just one perfect home. I don't know If I am making myself clear. Believe me, I want a happy client and of course I want the cruise lines to appreciate the business I send them, but I do have choices. NMnita

Since you are focusing on legalese rather than the potential value of a TA, that raises a new question. Does a TA who owns her own agency and puts down a deposit on a group of cabins to sell as she sees fit then become an independent contractor?

How about answering my question? Is it not possible that a TA can provide an avenue to a quicker and potentially better resolution to a dispute than an idividual could get without expending a great deal of effort?

I agree that it would be easier for a good TA to resolve a problem, based on their experience, than an individual who has no idea whom to contact. However, I consider that to be providing good service to a customer. In my opinion a TA would be an Advocate if they were doing something for their customer (the person buying a cruise) at the expense of their client (the cruise line).

Your question about the TA who puts a deposit on a group of cabins is interesting. Since the full payment isn't due until a few months before the cruise itself, anyone could buy a cabin by just putting down a deposit. With that in mind, if she put down the same deposit that you or I would have to pay for each cabin in the group, she probably is effectively buying and reselling them. However, without know the terms of her contract with the cruise line, I could not give a definitive answer to that question.

Of course they have to maintain their agreement with the cruiseline. I never implied they would do anything other than find the source of maximum authority and, armed with their knowledge of past practices, recognize when they have reached the best possible solution for both parties.

Why do you find it so hard to believe that an agent can get more from the cruiseline than an individual? That seems to be your opinion since you refute any statement that suggests they can.

I'm sure someone who is very savvy and persistent could eventually find the "assistant vice-president of last resort" eventually, but a TA who works with the cruiseline every day (and those who are large producers even have reps that try to help them get resolutions) can do it quicker. My point is that an individual is far more likely to give up in frustration and accept far less than they might get, either by taking far mor time than the solution is worth or having someone else do it for them AT NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE. That is my point, not the legal language of who an agent "works for".

Let me give you an example. Several years ago, we ended our cruise at the port of Los Angeles. It was a lousy experience. We had cruiseline transport to LAX and, when we got out to the line, we saw a bus pull away. After a good deal of searching for someone with a cruiseline uniform/ID, we were told the next bus would be there in about 30 minutes. Not a good picture, but it was an answer. An hour later (when making our flight was in peril) with no bus in sight, we bolted to the taxi line and made our flight with about 15 minutes to spare.

With no intent other than to let our agent know of the problem so she could inform others to allow more time, we told her about it and about 2 weeks later we got a $50 certificate and an apology from the cruiseline. Totally unexpected and nothing of great value, but illustrating my point that the TA knew there was something available. That monetary compensation is very important to some people. I was more pleased that somebody recognized a problem, even if it was only the cruiselines representative (my TA).

And you got more than you could have gotten on your own probably, not to mention all you had to do was inform your good agent, she took it from there, saving you time. One of my favorite clients is a VP with a large, national reservations computer system company. He has cruised, probably 50 times and knows as much as I do about certain concepts of cruising; to him, the service I give is worth everything. He could do it himself, but knows I will do my best and be at his side if something goes wrong. he did a cruise in January that was a challenge; I handled everything, he had a great trip and we were both happy. Again, I am not saying no one should book on their own, this is a personal decision, but please do not sell us short in any way or give others the impression we work for any travel company, be it a cruise line, tour operator or whatever. My loyalty is with my clients. NMnita

I once had a major problem on a cruise ship and my NYC internet agent could have care less so I wrote a few letters and made some calls and got a great settlement.

I dont mind an agent as a go between but personally I like to do the negotiations.

If the guest can substantiate the problem existed its an easy fix with the cruise line. I ve never had a problem since.

Don

I could say the jest here is the word :internet" but that probably isn't totally fair. I am sure some internet agents are great; most though are order takers, not the same as a dedicated Travel consultant.

I agree that it would be easier for a good TA to resolve a problem, based on their experience, than an individual who has no idea whom to contact. However, I consider that to be providing good service to a customer. In my opinion a TA would be an Advocate if they were doing something for their customer (ther person buying a cruise) at the expense of their client (the cruise line).

Wow! We are darned near in agreement here! If you'd stopped at the first sentence, it would be 100%. I don't care what it is called. If I get something of value from the TA, I am a happy camper.

Because I don't always trust my memory, I checked Webster's On Line dictionary. Here's what they say about advocate:

1 : one that pleads the cause of another; specifically : one that pleads the cause of another before a tribunal or judicial court

2 : one that defends or maintains a cause or proposal

That follows what I had in mind when I used the term. Nothing was intended to imply that a resolution had to be to the expense of anyone; just all that they were willing to do in the first place.

And I'll add one caveat. We are all talking about a good TA.

And I really didn't expect an answer to the scenario I mentioned. It was just in fun.

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The cruiselines are NOT an agency's client.

They are a vendor.

An agency is part of the vendor distribution system.

There are agencies who are NOT allowed to sell certain cruiselines.

Agencies do not recruit cruiselines.

Hotels are vendors... airlines are vendors.. tour operators are vendors.

Cruiselines are vendors.

To refocus on the Topic, another thing that a good TA can do is help with travel insurance. There is a lot of it out there, and Celebrity only sells its own. Our TA has been most helpful in going over the coverage offered by a variety of insurance companies, and recommended a policy other than the one sold by the cruise line. So I don't know if this makes her an Advocate or a client of an insurance company, but as one with experience in the insurance industry, it was a great relief for me not to have to read all of the policies myself!

Shop around for an agent the way you do for a cruise. Our current agent has provided us with bon voyage gifts and onboard credits, but most of all has been there to give me a straight answer to any question. And from the experience others have had with her, I'm confident that if I run into a problem on a cruise, she will be there to help me out.

BTW, like many others, I do my own research and just booked two cruises while on board the Constellation that were transferred to this TA.

As much as I love X, I do dread getting on the phone with their Customer Service representatives!:eek:

Susan

Yeah, Don, but that's not the complete picture.

You are a lawyer with a bulldog-like tenacious attitude. You'd pursue what you considered fair long past what I would invest in it. Whereas, I would expect my TA to take it to the limit for me.

Bob

I am retired and laid back now... The bull dog went way way south,, I think??

LOL

I am happy now with my new agent. He is on top of things and deals with my high maintenance.

Pussy Cat Don as of Aug 2004

Wow! We are darned near in agreement here! If you'd stopped at the first sentence, it would be 100%. I don't care what it is called. If I get something of value from the TA, I am a happy camper.

Because I don't always trust my memory, I checked Webster's On Line dictionary. Here's what they say about advocate:

1 : one that pleads the cause of another; specifically : one that pleads the cause of another before a tribunal or judicial court

2 : one that defends or maintains a cause or proposal

That follows what I had in mind when I used the term. Nothing was intended to imply that a resolution had to be to the expense of anyone; just all that they were willing to do in the first place.

And I'll add one caveat. We are all talking about a good TA.

And I really didn't expect an answer to the scenario I mentioned. It was just in fun.

I actually enjoyed the question you posed in that scenario because it was very thought provoking :)

Since I am a retired SRA (real estate appraiser designation) who owned her own appraisal firm for many years, my first hand knowledge of the laws of agency is limited to real estate. It appears I made a mistake by assuming that the term client had the same relationship to an agent in the field of travel as it does in real estate, and would like to express my appreciation to the TA's on the board for bringing that to my attention.

Since I am a retired SRA (real estate appraiser designation) who owned her own appraisal firm for many years, my first hand knowledge of the laws of agency is limited to real estate. It appears I made a mistake by assuming that the term client had the same relationship to an agent in the field of travel as it does in real estate, and would like to express my appreciation to the TA's on the board for bringing that to my attention.

Since I am a retired SRA (real estate appraiser designation), who owned her own real estate appraisal firm for many years, my first hand knowledge of the laws of agency is based on its usage within the field of real estate. It appears I made a mistake by assuming that the legal relationship between a travel agent and his/her "client", as well as the usage of the term within the travel business, is similar to the legal relationship between a real estate agent and his/her client. I would like to express my appreciation to the TA's on the board for letting me know that the law of agency is very different for a travel agent than it is for a real estate broker.

In reality, a travel agent works for the cruise line because that is who pays them their commission. This is similar to a real estate broker who looks for homes with a potential buyer, helps them find a mortgage, and presents their offers to the owner of the property, but actually works for the seller unless they have a special contract to be a buyer's agent and the seller knows it.

The is no comparison. "Agency" (Seller's Agent, Buyer's Agent, Dual Agent)as it is called in the real estate industry(I was a real estate agent) is goverend by laws in most states and administered by a real estate commission within each state. By law they must be licensed by the state. NO SUCH LAWS exist for travel agents in any state that I am aware of so therefore travel agents are not legally bound to represent the cruise lines interests. The cruise line may pay my commission but I represent my clients, first and foremost!

Obvoiusly a few states license the agent. However, in RI or the other agent licensed states are the agents legally bound to represent the cruise line as you would representing the seller in a real estate transaction as suggested by the previous poster? I doubt it.

In Florida only the agency has a license to sell. Agents are not licensed.

As I said earlier, I, if not all agents represent our cruising clients.

Archived