Another disaster in Indonesia

elmorejj

Just read of the 6.0 earthquake in Indonesia. So far they are saying 2500 dead. It happened on Java, Hope none of our friends from HAL are affected. Prayers go out to all families who have lost loved ones..........jean:cool:

Many of the crew have been affected by this earthquake. Others are still trying to make contact with family members. Phone service is sporadic at best. Many of the HAL crew are from this region of Indonesia or have family and/or friends there as Jogja (Jogjakarta) is a rather large city.

Yes our prayers go out to all of them. And as always, you will see them each day with smiles on their faces wishing you all a good day.............

So many crew are from and have family in Java. My prayers go out to all of them. When I heard the location, right away I feared there's a strong chance some the crew people could well have suffered terrible tragedy.

The Indonesian crew is the heart of Holland America. They do so much to make our cruises perfect.

Sorry to hear about this. So many of the crew that I know are from Java, or have family there.

Pincus

This is so very sad for them, when I saw this on the news this morning I felt so bad. So many of the crew have had so much tagedy back home over the past few years and the not know and communication being bad it has to be so very terrible for them. I just hope that the volcano also does not erupt to cause even more destruction.

Just read of the 6.0 earthquake in Indonesia. So far they are saying 2500 dead. It happened on Java, Hope none of our friends from HAL are affected. Prayers go out to all families who have lost loved ones..........jean:cool:

Oh, dear Lord have mercy.

My prayers will go out for all of the victims ... and those loved ones left behind.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Oh, dear Lord have mercy.

My prayers will go out for all of the victims ... and those loved ones left behind.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Amen. Makes all our fussing about our vacations seem pretty minor in comparison, doesn't it?

My heart is saddened also and my prayers are with the Indonesian crew. I am waiting to hear from one of the crew members about the earthquake. Will post what he has to say. We were on board the Zaandam when the tsunami hit. I will never forget their faces the morning we went down for breakfast. All we could offer were hugs and tears; and there was plenty. At that time they had no way to reach their families. But they were still very graceful at this most tragic event. And yes I agree; the Indonesian and Phillipine crew are the heart of HAL.

I've received news that some know their homes have been lost but have not yet heard of any loss of family or friends. Prayers we should be so lucky to learn they lost no loved ones......

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like Mt. Merapi is about to blow. Lava and extremely hot gases are being flung up to 1 1/2 miles from the crater and the actual lava flow is coming down the side of the volcano up to a half mile down. 11.000 have been evacuated so far, keep the villagers near this volcano in your thoughts and prayers...........jean:cool:

Archived