Just HOME from Boston/MAASDAM

FlorenceItaly

Marie:

Did you go through Customs on Friday evening? Or was it IMMIGRATION?

Customs requires you to have everything you are bringing off the ship with you and your declaration of what you have purchased while out of the country. You brought packed luggage with you on Friday night?

Immigration is an inspection of your person. To have your documentation checked; your passport or birthcertificate etc

Surely it's Immigration they do Friday night? (about what time?)

S7S - Yes, it was immigration. On our sailing you could go anytime between 5:30 and 9:00 pm. Customs took place on Saturday morning as we are leaving.

You know, I thought it was Friday night we did it, but maybe it was Thursday evening as jayjo posted...oh dear..you would think I would know since it hasn't been that long, LOL. At any rate, it's quick and easy whenever it is, LOL.

Marie

Yes Marie the Maasdam is a nice ship. I felt the dining room was the best in many ways, of any ship I've been on. Love the windows all along the sides.

The northeast coast had to be a big change after Oklahoma. Hearing you describe it almost made me homesick for New England. Never thought that would happen.

You have the best schedule of cruises I guess of everybody. Just fabulous. Will this be your first cruise on the Mariner? Love to hear your review on it, when you get back from that one.

Take care :cool:

Hi Joe--yes, the dining room was fabulous wasn't it? And, our table had a nice view. Yes, I loved the northeast coast. One of the women at our table who has been on numerous HAL cruises commented that this was the best food ever. None of us had one bad meal. I weigh in tomorrow, and I think I gained 5-7 pounds!

This will be my first time on the Mariner. I am expecting it to be a fabulous cruise, especially since I am cruising with my sis and almost 200 party hounds. I think I will need a vacation after this vacation, LOL.

Nice to hear from you. Are you hanging out at the RCI board lately?

Marie

My cruise line of choice is RCI. But I feel my family is here at HAL. They've helped me on so many things, about cruising, and the group I sailed with, on the Maasdam was fabulous.

The next ship you're sailing on is truly a floating resort. I'll be sailing next year on her. Looks like the rest of this year I'll be doing a resort, or two, here in Florida. Maybe a trip to New England.

About the cruise I have scheduled: We'll be setting sail under a full moon, and a waning gibbous. I'm hoping to be able to get a window table, on the port side. For early dinning, and I have a balcony all set for the starboard side. I'm hoping to see some real nice moon rises. As the moon rise will be in the port side of the ship (dining time) for the first part of the trip, and on the way back it willl be later, and on the starboard side.

I addition the orionids will be arriving I'm hoping they make a good appearance. Those are the remnants from Haley's comet you know. The heaviest reign down around Oct 21st, and 22nd, but I don't know what hour yet.

Happy cruising my friend! :)

I have always been afraid that I would not have a good time if I took a trip by myself. I am not a particularly dependent person, but I like to share my experiences. Did you find this possible when you went alone? Would you go on a trip again by yourself?

Roberta

Roberta

This is is one of the best questions I've heard raised, on the boards. I'm the same way. I don't know how other people can do it. I'm sure in Marie's case, she must have been able to share her experience with others on the cruise. :)

She definitely is a sharing type person and must have made a lot of friends right there aboard the ship.

Joe - Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, I would definitely travel solo again. I was fortunate to meet some people on board, one whom I met through this board before I left(Hi Becky and David), and also there was another solo traveler at my table. She and I hung out at one port, and she is a delightful woman and I enjoyed her company, BUT, it did reaffirm for me that there are many advantages of solo cruising...going at your own pace, where you want, etc. At all the ports, I took tours, so I was among other people. Holland America offered single meet and greets throughout the week, and I did go to one. I would recommend this when traveling solo. It is a meeting for solo travelers and singles, as I am happily married(21 years).

Also, I really enjoyed my time in Boston pre/post cruise. Also, this particular itinerary was very port intensive(5 ports), so I did not have time to become lonely :).

Feel free to ask further questions, as I realize this is a very curious topic. While cruising I was very free to share that I was solo cruising, in hopes of encouraging others to do the same if an opportunity arises. Each day is a gift from God, and I believe we should live life to the fullest. I am also very blessed to have a husband that does not mind me going off on my own, and encourages my travels. We have a very close relationship.

Marie

I keep forgetting to mention what I did as far as tipping. I left my auto tips in place, and tipped additionally the wine steward and yum-yum man. The yum-yum man and I established a relationship. He was very kind to me since I was traveling solo. There was another person who was also very kind to me, but I did not see him later on the trip, otherwise I would have tipped him.

Marie

Marie: have always enjoyed your posts.

Were you able to get any assurance that your additional tip to those employees is not obligated to go into a common pot?

Bird - I heard there were many solo travelers, but I didn't meet too many.

I had a grand time. When I first arrived at the pier(downstairs) the woman directing me said "how many in your party" I said "1" and then she started pitying me and I said "I am perfectly happy to be a party of one"...it's amazing how many personnel reacted that way or would say "just one"....I am SURE you are not one of them that comments like that :).

I am already looking at the sailings for next year (June/Jul 2005) but don't tell my husband ;). Oh, he doesn't really care, but I DO already have 5 cruises booked through 2005, but ALL those are with family/friends. I would love to do one solo a year.

Are you new to the board????

Marie

They indicated to us in a talk given by the cruise director that the wine steward and yum-yum men were able to keep any tips given as long as you left the auto tip in place. In fact they indicated that as long as you left the auto tip in place the tipped person was able to keep the extra. The bar staff could accept direct tips too! Make sure you make it up to the crows nest. Jerry is awesome!

Marie,

I'm upstairs at checkin...and I would have expressed enthusiasm for solo travel. :D

I've been reading Cruise Critic since 1995 or earlier. The board has certainly changed over the years. I'm not a frequent poster. I prefer to be a gatherer of information.

Bird:)

Archived