Question about Rooms, Upgrages & Savings

In the interest in saving money we could spend somewhere else my fiancee and I booked a regular interior cabin. We figured we were not going to spend alot of time in the room so what diffence does it make. So here are my questions...

1. Is it worth it to get even a slightly better room such as an Oceanview?

2. Can you upgrade you're room at any time before the cruise providing a room is available?

3. I hear people getting bumped to better rooms all of the time. What are the criteria for that?

4. How can you tell if any price changes have been made (less) and how can you go about getting it adjusted?

Thanks

In the interest in saving money we could spend somewhere else my fiancee and I booked a regular interior cabin. We figured we were not going to spend alot of time in the room so what diffence does it make. So here are my questions...

2. Can you upgrade you're room at any time before the cruise providing a room is available?

3. I hear people getting bumped to better rooms all of the time. What are the criteria for that?

4. How can you tell if any price changes have been made (less) and how can you go about getting it adjusted?

Thanks

It is all up to the individual. My wife and I never spend any time in the room but we still get a balcony because we like coffee out there. If you want to know if it is day or night outside, I would suggest a oceanview.

You can upgrade at anytime but the rates increase the closer you get to departure if the ship is selling out so you are taking a gamble waiting.

If you are waiting to get bumped, don't hold your breath. Most people that do get bumped are either booked on a guarantee or something of that sort. I would have to say less than 1% of people get bumped because the ships are selling out because the cruise rates are so reasonable.

You can keep checking back on the web site to check rates. If you see a decrease, call your travel agent or RCCL if you booked directly with them.

Good Luck.

We prefer Ocianview cabins, but only if they are Cat H or above. Below that, you just get too dinky a window and it's not worth the extra money.

However, if it's a great deal, we take the inside cabin. Your fiancee is right: you don't spend all that much time in the cabin. Be sure to take a travel alarm or use your cell phone. No light means you sleep more, too.

Yes, you can upgrade later. Keep an eye on the prices.

The upgrade fairy is fickle, and there is no rhyme or reason to her choices. Just cross your fingers and get an acceptable cabin to start with. The rest is gravy!!

Keep an eye on the RCCL web site, since that's the price they offer. If you bought it through another source, then keep checking their price for your cabin category.

Call your TA if the price goes down and ask for the difference in an upgrade, refund, or shipboard credit. TELL your TA you're going to be watching and expect to get the difference. If there is a problem, then cancel and go with someone who will honor the price differences if they drop.

Even if I'm not in my room alot, I want to be comfortable and be able to move about when I am in it! There's not much difference in size from an interior to an OV. If you're going to "up-grade" go for the balcony. Unless it's a very short cruise, I think you'll find it's worth the extra!

Thanks

1) If saving money is the objective I'd say booking an inside cabin is the way to go. Also, it is very , very important as part of your fiancee's "wife-in-training" program that you set the bar low. If she has a great time in an inside cabin you're golden for future cruises at the lowest rates. But if she gets to see how fabulous a balcony room is she'll expect it on every cruise. ;) (Since I upgraded to the balcony suites my wife really won't consider an inside cabin now. :( )

2)Depends how you booked. If you booked direct thru RCI, you can upgrade for the higher fare in any available room. If you used a travel agent or online broker they may only have a block of rooms and you may find that better rooms have sold out.

3)The criteria are probably a combination of pure luck, plenty of empty rooms, and a lot of shameless whining at the Purser's desk. I've cruised a lot and have yet to be bumped. Maybe if you are a member of the Crown & Anchor Society and you have over 30 cruises you'll get bumped up because it builds loyalty. But if you're a first timer, booking an inside cabin at the lowest rate, I'd say you should not count on some benevolent bump to a balcony suite.

4) Unless you have a low-price guarantee there is no remedy for someone getting a lower price than you. It happens all the time and you just have to live with it. You book early and pay more to make sure you have the cabin you want at a price that seems reasonable. Let's say you paid $600 PP for your inside cabin. Some broker buys a block of 50 rooms 3 months in advance at $450 and sells them for $600, then as the cruise gets 3 weeks out he has 30 rooms left, so he drops the price to $550, then he gets down to 10 cabins left about one week before the cruise and he tries to unload them at $495, then $450 just so he does not get stuck with them. You complain to RCI and they'll say that is just Capitalism 101 and you can always gamble with a last minute broker.

Thanks for the info guys! :)

Yeah I booked through RCI...I stopped using a TA awhile ago as soon as I figured out many of them book online just the same as you would at home. The only differnence is they charge you a fee for doing it! :rolleyes:

Archived