Oosterdam 5/20/2006 Review, Part 2, Minor Problems

Moogy

Overall, our trip last week was WONDERFUL. There were very few issues. However, there were a couple of minor issues that I will mention. Next cruise, I will plan to avoid these problems.

1. I arranged my own transportation from the hotel to the dock. Seattle Shuttles was the name (I think) of the company the hotel recommended. We warned them in advance we had a LOT of luggage (Papa's oxygen concentrator was packed in a huge box.) Despite this, they packed the van completely full of passengers, so the loading was SLOW. This was a pain, but the driver was VERY nice.

I thought we would do better on the return, since I had booked it through HAL. Nope. We waited FOREVER in line for a bus. There were about three wheelchair parties waiting in that line. Fortunately, the weather was (barely) acceptable, but if it had been worse, some of these fragile folks would have been risking their health out in the cold. There seems to be NO wheelchair line for shuttles...

The shuttle bus dropped us and all our luggage down the hill from the terminal. There were not enough porters, so we waited forever (it seemed). No way we could fit everything on the pay carts, and we couldn't push two carts because we were pushing my dad's wheelchair.

MY SOLUTION: Next time, I will take a CAB, both ways!

2. Dining for breakfast in the Main Dining room was slow and chaotic. One morning the dining room opened 30 minutes later than the time announced in the bulletin. Then the waiter was warning us that the service would take at least 30 minutes "since everybody showed up at once." Nope, they showed up gradually. We were waiting in the nearby lounge, since my dad can't stand for long periods.

SOLUTION: After this, we did not return to main dining for breakfast. The Pinnacle was available for suite passengers, so we used that several times, and other times, we tried to time breakfast at the Lido so that we would miss the crowds. There were not enough tables in the Lido to handle the breakfast crowds.

3. There were only 2 salad choices each night, and one of the choices was always Caesar Salad. I would have like more salad options.

Wow, if that is ALL that went wrong, we must have had a great cruise! YEP! It was NEAR-PERFECT! :D

Yes, the two salads were a problem for my DH. Cesar salad is too salty and he does not like gourmet greens. Solution: If you like iceberg lettuce salad; just ask the Maitre'D to have a special salad made up each night. Just tell him what you would like on it; and they are oh so happy to please you.

Yes, the two salads were a problem for my DH. Cesar salad is too salty and he does not like gourmet greens. Solution: If you like iceberg lettuce salad; just ask the Maitre'D to have a special salad made up each night. Just tell him what you would like on it; and they are oh so happy to please you.

I've been doing (almost) exactly that for years. The only thing I do differently is I ask the table steward. He even manages to have fat-free honey mustard dressing for me every night.

Works like a charm.

You know, after such a "horrible" cruise, you probably need to book another cruise - to get the "bad" taste out of your mouth.

What a grand idea!

Just today at our office, I overheard my hubby telling someone (on the phone) that he is "hooked" and wants to do another cruise! :D

Moogy

Hi Moogy, and what about the weather we had? It was nicer in Alaska than here at home in NV. I have to agree with your husband. I'm all in, hook, line and sinker. thinkin about Mexico in 07 ( and gotta admit, I'm keeping my eyes open for maybe a 3 or 4 dayer to tide me over) I don't have another cruise to compare this one to but it was everything I had hoped and then some. I think the only down side is that I could have stood a little extra shopping/exploring time in Juneau and Ketchikan. By the time our excursions were done it was time to head back to the barn.

Sorry we never got to meet anyone from the board but maybe next time.

I've been doing (almost) exactly that for years. The only thing I do differently is I ask the table steward. He even manages to have fat-free honey mustard dressing for me every night.

Works like a charm.

This is what is known onboard as a "standing order". Next time just place a standing order with your dr steward, they aim to please:) Just tell them what YOU want!

Archived