Plane or Train from Rome to Venice?

We are planning some pre-cruise time in Rome and then will travel to Venice to board the ship. Here is my question: According to what I have read, you can fly from Rome to Venice in about an hour or travel via train (5 1/2 hrs.) for about the same price. Would the train ride be worth it...as far as scenery?

Thanks for your help. Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome.

PrincipalCruiser:)

I can't answer your question with certainty, but I would imagine the train trip might be quite pleasant. Keep in mind that you have to factor-in the travel time to the airport in Rome, and the wait time before the flight. Ditto in Venice--when you take the train, you arrive right near the action. Just a thought.

I would definatly take the train. You will find it is faster and more enjoyable than flying. Just back from Europe and we used a rail pass to go everywhere, we also flew out of Rome to Sardinia. Having to be at the airport an hour at least before your flight and waiting and then having to travel from the airport to city center takes along time. You will find the train to be spacious and the views through Tuscany are lovely.

You also need to consider that most domestic flights within a European country have reduced luggage allowances, compared to international flights. Unless you are packing very lightly, you could get slammed with some hefty fees.

That said, if you take the train, you have to be prepared for some stairs and you have to heave the luggage onto the train. There is no luggage compartment, but an open area in each car. Security is something of an issue (I've read of people bringing a cable and a lock to loop everything together.)

If you check the schedule, you can actually get a train which will get you from Stazione Termini in Rome to Venice in about 4 hours. Look at http://www.trenitalia.com for schedules. Also http://www.ricksteves.com and http://www.slowtrav.com have info on the practical logistics of train travel.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Assuming you are doing this on your own, keep in mind that you will have to travel about an hour to get to the airport in Rome (its 9.50 Euros per person on the train). You will need to be at the airport about 2 hours before your flight. Once you get to Venice's airport you will still need to get into town..and if you decide to hire a water taxi that will cost you around $100. On the other hand the train leaves right from the Rome Termini (in the heart of Rome) and takes you to the train station in Venice which is better located than the airport. If you use the higher speed ES trains the travel time is only about 4:35 which is actually faster than using the airport.

Hank

I love taking the train from Rome to Venice....easy to do,comfortable,relaxing as it beats the heck out of going to the airport.Do the first class ES.take a cable lock to hitch your luggage together and just sit back and relax.

I agree with Karen and the others. You'll see much more of Italy on the train. It's too bad you'll be traveling with a lot of luggage. In my student days in Italy, I remember taking the train from Rome to Venice. I'd get off in Florence for an hour or two (the station is right in the historic center), or go visit a friend who lived in Bologna, then get back on the train and continue to Venice. If you do decide on the train, don't forget to purchase a seat reservation.

Joan

You all have been so helpful! I really appreciate it! We will investigate the train trip further...with your hints - loop luggage together with a cable- check on high speed train - first class - with seat reservation....stop in Florence if possible. (With the cruise luggage we'll be lugging, we probably won't get to do that.) Thanks again for all of your help.

Now I know exactly where to post a question when others come up...and I'm sure they will.

Well it seems we are in agreement!

We were one month in Italy, and used only the rails.

It is the best. It also lets you relax after hoofing it to those places you've seen.

And if you like, you might think of first class and a private coach.

Ah, la vita dolce!

You all have been so helpful! I really appreciate it! We will investigate the train trip further...with your hints - loop luggage together with a cable- check on high speed train - first class - with seat reservation....stop in Florence if possible. (With the cruise luggage we'll be lugging, we probably won't get to do that.) Thanks again for all of your help.

Now I know exactly where to post a question when others come up...and I'm sure they will.

They do have luggage storage in Florence in the train station. It would be very easy to leave your bags and spend a few hours in Florence before you move on to Venice. It would be well worth it. You will love the Eurostar train and we always go first class, it is so much nicer.

Archived