Seward - Exit Glacier or Kenai Fjords?

Jenazz

Hi all,

1) We're arriving in Seward on the 11:30 train, and have about decided to go out to Exit Glacier for a few hours before embarking. I'm thinking we'll want the exercise, it looks gorgeous, and it's almost free. :cool: However, after reading all the Kenai Fjords boat info, I'm now dithering a little. Mostly it's just not grabbing me, but is there something unique here we'll regret not seeing? Anything we won't see in College Fjord or Glacier Bay etc? (Cruise goes to both.) We're spending time in Denali and doing a glacier trek in Juneau, so we do have some big-ticket things planned already.

2) If we stick with Exit Glacier, is there somewhere in town we can check our bags, or will we be able to check them into the ship immediately then go exploring? (HAL Ryndam)

3) Any pros or cons to the various ways to get to the glacier? I found a couple different taxi services, Exit Glacier Guides offers a shuttle etc. Should we reserve something, or can we just walk up somewhere?

***Perhaps should specify this is June 11, in case time of year makes a difference***

Thank you!

Exit Glacier is part of Kenai Fjords National Park and is one of the most accessible glaciers in Alaska. The trail from the small visitor takes you fairly close to the face; just remember to obey the signs and don't get too close.

Probably wouldn't hurt to reserve something just for the peace of mind.

The Kenai Fjords cruises are quite unique, especially those that actually go into the park. You cruise through Resurrection Bay and go to either Ailiak or Holgate Glacier plus, weather and seas permitting, the bird and sea lion areas near the Chiswell Islands. Some tours serve a meal as well while others go to Fox Island. It's definitely worth your time but so is Exit Glacier.

If you choose to skip the Kenai Fjords trip, you might want to visit the Alaska Sealife Center. This research facility is state-of-the-art and was funded with settlement money from the Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1989. It has several outstanding exhibits on the maritime environment of coastal Alaska.

I think we'll reserve the Sealife Center in case the weather's super crummy. (We've both been to Monterey Aquarium several times, and Long Beach's is just around the corner.)

I think I'm really leaning toward reserving a shuttle to Exit Glacier...

Take it from someone who lives in Seward, has done the boat trip a half dozen times, and works in the tourist industy - do the boat trip.

Cruise ships are modes of transportation and by law, can't get up close and personal to the landscape or animals like a small day cruiser can.

Exit Glacier is wonderful to do if you have the time. The proper way to do Seward is to spend several days, more if you don't like to be rushed or are physically active. Seward is the playground of many Alaskans - there is lots to do. But if you only have time to do one thing - VISIT Kenai Fjords National Park.

You can visit the glacier in Juneau if you think you need more exposure to glaciers.

The Day Cruise companies wait for train passengers (departing at 11:30 or 11:45, returning 5:30 or 7:30), will pick you up at the train station and store your bags for you. If you ask them, they will probably assist you in getting to your cruise ship as well (check with the cruise line regarding the time you need to be onboard). Wear layers for warmth and a wind proof jacket (minimally water shedding), bring sunglasses, gloves and a warm hat, as well as comfortable non skid shoes. Be prepared to get off the train and have all these items packed so they are easily at hand and don't forget you binoculars or telephoto lens and charged batteries for digital cameras (also pack the cable you need to download photos onto a CD for safe storage).

The Alaska SeaLife Center is nothing like the Montery Aquarium. While the SLC has tanks of local fish and other creatures, its function is three fold: Public Education, Research, and Rehabilitation of sick and injured Sea birds and marine animals. It was also never meant to be Marine World, with animals trained to entertain, it is a place of interactive learning and awe. The well trained attendents are in place to share knowledge with the visitors. Because your privacy and silence are respected they need to be initiated with conversation - so ask questions, make comments and watch the information flow. Some visitors spend only an hour or two, others spend 5 hours and say they could have spent all day. But again, the boat trip wins over the SLC as well, if you have limited time in Seward.

Have a wonderful time in Alaska !!!! alaskatnt

I too highly recommend Kenai fjords boat tours, there is just no good way I can describe them to really say what they mean to me. :) It is always a must do for me- EVERY TRIP. It also is nothing like your cruise ship which basically won't have any wildlife - extended or close up and way closer to a glacier via the boat tour. Here are some photo examples of what you can see, if you care to look. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Exit Glacier is very accessable for viewing, but has probably receeded 50% from the trails in the last 5 years. It's an hour activity for me. The Sealife Center, I too agree is well worth a visit, consider the backstage tour, extremely interesting, but sign up when you get there, they always sell out.

You can check your bags directly at the ship. If you go with a Kenai Fjords boat tour- you need at least 6 hours on the water, leaves at 11:30pm, they pick up at the depot, store your bags and shuttle you to your ship. You do not see poor reviews of this tour and mostly consistant raves.

You can check your bags directly at the ship. If you go with a Kenai Fjords boat tour- you need at least 6 hours on the water, leaves at 11:30pm, they pick up at the depot, store your bags and shuttle you to your ship. You do not see poor reviews of this tour and mostly consistant raves.

I assume you mean it leaves at 11.30am. Question - I have friends who are doing a day cruise from Whittier. After the day cruise they are heading to Seward for the night. The next day would you still recommend a Kenai Fjords cruise? Would two cruises two days in a row be the best way to spend their time? From what I have read the Whittier cruise is more glacier-related and the Kenai Fjords cruise is more wildlife-related. Is this correct? I will add that before doing this we will have been at Denali NP so hopefully we will have seen some wildlife there as well.

Thanks for your input.

John

We are booked on the Kenai Fjords cruise in July on the same day that our cruise leaves Seward. I was a little concerned about not getting back until around 5:30 on the day the boat leaves. I received my cruise documents yesterday from HAL and noted that they ask that you fly into Anchorage NO LATER THAN 4PM because that is when the last bus leaves for the 3 HOUR ride to Seward. If HAL's bus doesn't arrive until 7pm, I am not going to sweat a 5:30 pm return time.

I assume you mean it leaves at 11.30am. Question - I have friends who are doing a day cruise from Whittier. After the day cruise they are heading to Seward for the night. The next day would you still recommend a Kenai Fjords cruise? Would two cruises two days in a row be the best way to spend their time? From what I have read the Whittier cruise is more glacier-related and the Kenai Fjords cruise is more wildlife-related. Is this correct? I will add that before doing this we will have been at Denali NP so hopefully we will have seen some wildlife there as well.

Thanks for your input.

John

Yes, so sorry for the error. And definately both boat trips are top choices and very worthwhile, also enough different in my opinion. Binoculars are necessary for each person, I recommend at least 10 power for Denali Park.

We are booked on the Kenai Fjords cruise in July on the same day that our cruise leaves Seward. I was a little concerned about not getting back until around 5:30 on the day the boat leaves. I received my cruise documents yesterday from HAL and noted that they ask that you fly into Anchorage NO LATER THAN 4PM because that is when the last bus leaves for the 3 HOUR ride to Seward. If HAL's bus doesn't arrive until 7pm, I am not going to sweat a 5:30 pm return time.

The information you get on this board is accurate :) , you will have NO concern about getting on your cruise ship in time from a Kenai fjords boat tour finishing at 5:30pm. :) The tour company, if Alaska Heritage will shuttle you and your bags to the ship.

Drat, y'all are almost convincing me...:)

We took the Renown trip today. Well ok Friday June 2. great great great.. and they even supply binoculars if you forgot yours at no charge.

Its the only catamaran out there, which means it will travel faster for longer viewing going out.. we seen bald eagles close up. Orca's, humpbacks, seal lions. otters and baby, etc etc. All the glaciers with calving.

And a nice smoked salmon lunch.. and all the coffee and hot chocolate you could drink.

All this with the toursaver coupon 129 for 2 of us.

Is there a way to find out before taking the Fjords cruise what the waves are like that day? I will be traveling with three older ladies that get sicksick. We will all be taking some sort of medication beforehand but have heard "horror" stories of passengers getting very sick because of the high waves.

Can the tour company give us this information before we buy tickets? We are willing to take our chances in Sept. that we can get tickets that day and not prebuy them.

Thanks!

Is there a way to find out before taking the Fjords cruise what the waves are like that day? I will be traveling with three older ladies that get sicksick. We will all be taking some sort of medication beforehand but have heard "horror" stories of passengers getting very sick because of the high waves.

Can the tour company give us this information before we buy tickets? We are willing to take our chances in Sept. that we can get tickets that day and not prebuy them.

Thanks!

You are asking a question that can not be answered. No way to predict future sea conditions. In Sept. the schedules reduce, but if not a prioirty for you, then wait until day of sailing for your potential. Generally, if you take precautions, you're ok. It's always the ones I see on the dock, claiming "I never get sick" that are looking green well into the trip.

You are asking a question that can not be answered.

I guess what I was wondering is if the tour operators know the sea conditions before they go out that day. Is there some weather condition "place" that they check so they know or just go out and see what the seas are like each day.

We took the Renown trip today. Well ok Friday June 2. great great great.. and they even supply binoculars if you forgot yours at no charge.

Its the only catamaran out there, which means it will travel faster for longer viewing going out.. we seen bald eagles close up. Orca's, humpbacks, seal lions. otters and baby, etc etc. All the glaciers with calving.

And a nice smoked salmon lunch.. and all the coffee and hot chocolate you could drink.

All this with the toursaver coupon 129 for 2 of us.

We have ours planned for mid July, we can't wait!!!

You can usually check sea conditions by calling the local weather line in Anchorage. The number is 936-2525 and wait for the prompt that gives you Seward or Resurrection Bay.

In all the years we've done the trips, we've only had two cancellations and those were turned into Resurrection Bay cruises along with a refund for the difference in price.

As far as motion medicine, if in doubt take something at least one hour before you sail. Another hint is to spend some time outside (dress for it!) vs sitting in the cabin. It gets warm inside and if someone gets ill, the psychological effect spreads like the plague.

While out on the deck, don't look down at the water but focus on the horizon and keep your eyes scanning the scenery.

There's so much to see that it takes your mind off of how you feel. Furthermore, the crews of these ships are well trained on handling motion distress problem.

Again, most people are not affected but, if in doubt, take the meds one hour in advance.

If you are still concerned about motion sickness but want to do a cruise, take the trips out of Whittier vs. Seward. The waters of Prince William Sound are much more protected than the portions of the Kenai Fjords cruises that go through open ocean.

My husband and I are interested in the Kenai Fjords tour. Do you have a link? We are planning to do this when we disembark. Thanks.

Hi all,

1) We're arriving in Seward on the 11:30 train, and have about decided to go out to Exit Glacier for a few hours before embarking. I'm thinking we'll want the exercise, it looks gorgeous, and it's almost free. :cool: However, after reading all the Kenai Fjords boat info, I'm now dithering a little. Mostly it's just not grabbing me, but is there something unique here we'll regret not seeing? Anything we won't see in College Fjord or Glacier Bay etc? (Cruise goes to both.) We're spending time in Denali and doing a glacier trek in Juneau, so we do have some big-ticket things planned already.

2) If we stick with Exit Glacier, is there somewhere in town we can check our bags, or will we be able to check them into the ship immediately then go exploring? (HAL Ryndam)

3) Any pros or cons to the various ways to get to the glacier? I found a couple different taxi services, Exit Glacier Guides offers a shuttle etc. Should we reserve something, or can we just walk up somewhere?

***Perhaps should specify this is June 11, in case time of year makes a difference***

Thank you!

We'll be sailing north into Seward and leaving by train to Anchorage at 6 pm. Several Kenai Fjords tours are scheduled to return at 5:30 pm

Does that leave enough time to get to the train on time? What are the odds of the tour being delayed and missing the train?

Can I leave my luggage at the train station early in the day before the boat tour?

Thanks

To the last 2 posters: We are booked through www.alaskaheritagetours.com. Kbert, if you go to the AHT website you will see that they offer a day trip from Anchorage to Seward, the Kenai Fjords cruise (getting back at 5:30) and a trip back to Anchorage at 6pm. We booked this one way from Anchorage. You will be able to book it one way from Seward to Anchorage. They store your luggage while you are on the cruise.

They were very easy to work with and can accommodate whatever your needs are.

Archived