Long Beach instead of LAX?

jeniceglassman

Yes. fly into Long Beach instead of LAX. Jet Blue flys there. Do not confuse Long Beach with John Wayne airport!!

Long Beach Airport code is LGB

Will be just a few miles from the port, weather you are departing from Long Beach or from San Pedro.

Jeanne

I know traffic is a big factor, but any estimates on drive time from LAX to the port area? Suggestions on how to do that (shuttle, taxi, etc.)? Hotel recommendations in that area (family of 4); we like nice hotels, but don't want to spend a huge amount of money -- we often stay at Marriott. Also, a hotel with a free shuttle to the airport would be great.

Lots of questions here, but any help would be appreciated!

We used Super Shuttle to travel from LAX to the Hyatt Regency in Long Beach for our pre-cruise stay. Then, the next day, a cab from the Hyatt Regency to San Pedro for boarding. After the cruise we used Super Shuttle for the ride from San Pedro back to LAX. Everything worked fine.

Super Shuttle is about $17 per person, each way. You can reserve ahead of time (on their web site) or just grab a shuttle at the time you need it. Note that on the ride from LAX to your hotel the van may circle the airport a few times to pick up other passengers. Not a big deal. The cab ride from Long Beach to San Pedro was about $15 for the two of us.

There's not much to do in San Pedro, we enjoyed our short stay at the Hyatt Regency in Long Beach. It's in a recently redeveloped area called "The Pike" with new restaurants and assorted shopping. Nice area...and the Queen Mary is there too.

I would recommend that you stay in Long Beach rather tha San Pedro. The Hyatt Regency or the Westin are lovely.:D

There is a Best Western in San Pedro that a lot of cruuise passengers stay at, and they take you to the pier. I looked at the rooms there last trip and they looked "ok". However, San Pedro can be "iffy" at night.:cool:

Jeanne

How nice of you to answer my post. I live in So. Jersey but born in raised in So. California and I knew "The Pike" from my childhood. Can't wait to see all the changes now. Your information was outstanding and I will take advantage of it. We will be in LA 3 days before sailing on 11/20 to Hawaii so plan to drive around a bit. Thanks to all for generous information. I enjoyed he posts from all. Hugs. Mary and John

How nice of you to answer my post. I live in So. Jersey but born in raised in So. California and I knew "The Pike" from my childhood. Can't wait to see all the changes now. Your information was outstanding and I will take advantage of it. We will be in LA 3 days before sailing on 11/20 to Hawaii so plan to drive around a bit. Thanks to all for generous information. I enjoyed he posts from all. Hugs. Mary and John

While walking around The Pike we came across a wall of photos from the original "Pike." It was neat to see what it used to look like.

Many new restaurant to choose from. We had a great meal at the "Yard House" (good food, but noisy and filled with college-aged folks---and large screen TVs everywhere). The lighthouse-looking restaurant out at the end of the pier looked interesting too.

Enjoy your cruise!

I am trying to understand the different Airports in relation to the PIER the Sapphire docks at the end of our TranPacific (from Sydney) -

All the chatter about the various places to stay and the transfers from the hotels to and from airports is confusing for an East Coast' native! ..........please will someone 'break things' down ?

IfI can get reasonable flights (both times and $$) which AIRPORT is better to fly OUT OF?....and can you recommend a hotel near that AIRPORT?

Not interested in sightseeing Los Angeles after our long cruise, just a comfortable hotel that is close to the Pier for easy transfer -a plus would be 'reasonable' restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and free transfer to the airport the next AM for the flight home.

So which of the following are closest to the PIER ???

Los Angeles International Airprt (LAX

John Wayne Airport (SNA)

Long Beach Airport (LGB)

We will be flying to the WEST COAST w/airport to be decided from above:confused: - staying 1 night overnight....(hotel to be decided :confused: )

Next afternoon we will transfer to LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) to fly Air New Zealand to Sydney.

The ship arrives at Los Angeles (Itinerary doesn't say where? San Pedro??? :confused:

To add to my confusion I have Delta Vouchers I would like to use to ticket from Florida (either West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale NOT Miami) and home (The Domestic Ticket)

I already have the ticket to SYDNEY on Air New Zealand and the flight leaves at 8:45 PM from LAX.

Thanks for the help -

Princess ships dock at the Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center. It is located in San Pedro. The closest airport is Long Beach Airport, however, it is a very small airport offering limited flight schedules to limited destinations (i.e., JetBlue, America West). I don't know if Delta even flies to Long Beach. It's a great airport, if you can get to where you are going from there.

LAX is the next closest airport, about 30-45 minutes north of Long Beach. I would not consider Orange County (John Wayne) an option as it is quite a bit south of the dock.

There are many, many hotels near LAX. They have shuttles to and from the terminal. Just about every major chain ... Hilton, Hyatt, etc. All of the majors are fine, to my knowledge. OC, same. I'm not sure about Long Beach Airport hotels.

The nicest (and it's very nice) hotel near the dock is the Marina Hotel in San Pedro. I posted a link in an earlier post. San Pedro can be a little seedy at night, but this hotel is isolated along the marina and there is no reason to leave the property. It has everything. There is also a Best Western and Holiday Inn in San Pedro. Across the Vicent Thomas Bridge is Long Beach, which has a Hyatt and other hotels.

Hope that helps.

>>>Can someone tell me where Princess Island is berthed? I need a hotel close to pier for couple days. Want to rent car before going on cruise and need hotel where ship is docked. Does Princess Island go out of the area close to Queen Mary??? Thanks so much.

San Pedro, the South end of the City of Los Angeles, just South of the Vincent Thomas Bridge. QM I is in Long Beach where Carnival has a cruise center. Look at a map, convenient for getting on the ship. However, for visiting the Los Angeles area, you will be putting on a lot of miles sight seeing in the area.

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

Archived