Long Beach instead of LAX?

jeniceglassman

It's been years since we did the West Coast. I know we flew into John Wayne Airport last time. It was so cute and easy compared to LAX. This is the route i want to go again for the Diamond on Sept 30th right? Thanks in advance for the help.

HI Janice:

My Group is flying int Long Beach Airport instead of LAX for the Sept 30 Diamond cruise also . We got great prices with Jet Blue. Cant wait its almost time.

We picked flying into Long Beach instead of LAX for less congestion.

I would reccomend it .

We are on Alaska and I already had a hold on R/T via LA when my memory bank kicked in. We were on the Fair Princess if I remember correctly. I've already peeked at the postings and it looks like it will be a great group. Tiny twins and everything! We'll be in a balcony somewhere. I'm working with she who cannot be mentioned onboard (grin). I'll go back and set up a flite into Long Beach. Thanks again for the quick reply!

We flew from Boston to Long Beach (via Phoenix) for our Diamond Princess cruise in January of 2005, and I heartily recommend it --- quiet, friendly, serene, so different in every way from LAX. Taxis/vans were plentiful and just a few steps away from the terminal. Definitely the most pleasant way to go!!

Well Jenice:

You will have to let me know what you find we are flying in on the 30th and getting there around 11:50am. I am then reserving a shuttle to get us to the pier.

We are in a balcony room also on the Caribe deck :cool:

Perhaps flying from WA to Long Beach is different, but if you're flying from Boston, it's a lot more expensive with fewer flight options to fly into Long Beach than LAX, particularly going home. I looked into flying Jet Blue for my Island Princess cruise and the flights home to Boston just didn't work. I preferred to spend less on AA for direct flights.

IMHO, whenever you can fly into an airport OTHER than LAX, you will be happier.

John Wayne Airport (SNA) is in Orange County, about 45 minutes south of LAX with no traffic (HA! ;)).

Long Beach Airport (LGB) is probably even smaller and easier to use - my personal favorite. I believe this is also the closest to San Pedro port.

You can also try Ontario (ONT) or Burbank (BUR) airport, but they probably won't be as direct or as cheap to fly into. Still, sometimes you get deals...and all are preferable, in my opinion, to the mess that is LAX. I have probably flown out of LAX more than any other airport (business doesn't let me pick :(), and I still sometimes get confused and agitated. I don't know HOW people who are unfamiliar do it!

Finally I can help others on this board! Usually I am just asking a million questions!

-Vanessa

Perhaps flying from WA to Long Beach is different, but if you're flying from Boston, it's a lot more expensive with fewer flight options to fly into Long Beach than LAX, particularly going home. I looked into flying Jet Blue for my Island Princess cruise and the flights home to Boston just didn't work. I preferred to spend less on AA for direct flights.

We found the same thing as far as scheduling goes when we flew from Boston for our Sapphire Princess cruise. My wife had a window seat, I , an aisle, and a 6'5" Air Force captain was crammed into the middle seat of our American Airlines flight, with his knees tucked under his chin. Halfway through the flight I told my wife that inconvenient schedule or not, the next time we will fly Jet Blue to Long Beach. Pricing, however, was better on Jet Blue, but unfortunately, we put the schedule ahead of price and comfort when we decided to fly American.

Actually -- and it probably does vary from week to week or season to season --- but the prices we found to Long Beach from Boston on America West were the lowest. It was only after the trip that we realized what a great deal it was -- we've flown into LAX before, and I would choose Long Beach in a heartbeat if the prices were anywhere close. We flew in the day before our cruise, but the times were good on our return flight -- again through Phoenix, but it got us into Boston at a reasonable hour.

I actually saved another $44 using a major travel online discounter and got the same flites I had reserved with Alaska airlines. How can they sell it cheaper then the vendor and add a $10 service fee? Do they buy seats in bulk cheaper and then resell? So we are flying into Long Beach thanks to everyone for the extremely helpful advice. Starlite when I have a cabin assignment for us I'll check in.

Jenice:

We sailed on the Sapphire this past April and flew from Seattle to Long Beach. The Long Beach airport is the smallest airport I've ever flown through except for Pullman. It was so easy. You do walk down stairs to the tarmac which we don't do too often anymore, but talk about easy. When we got to the airport in the afternoon though the plane was delayed an extra hour and there is absolutely nothing there, so do go prepared with books or something. We fly into John Wayne when we go to Disneyland, and it looks like an enormous airport compared to LGB.

I set up a transfer with Prime Time Shuttle to a hotel in LGB and don't recommend them at all. Go with a different company if you can.

Have a great cruise!

>>>It's been years since we did the West Coast. I know we flew into John Wayne Airport last time. It was so cute and easy compared to LAX.

Sorry, there is no way you can call John Wayne Airport as “cute”. OP must mean Long Beach Airport.

All I know about flying into Long Beach is it's like flying back into the 50's with its out side luggage carousels, that are about 50 yd's from the taxi stands.

Yep I'd fly into LGB instead of LAX anyday. Oh yea it is closer to the ports

Enjoy

Whoever mentioned earlier, you can fly into Burbank or Ontario, DON'T. You will have at least a 2 hour ride to the ship. LAX isn't that bad, but Long Beach is easier navigating. Please, do not use Burbank or Ontario. That is just a real long headache.

Hi, another vote for Long Beach. I live here in the area , about 8 to 10 minutes from LB airport and when ever we travel if it is at all possible we go LB over LAX anytime. But be aware LB does not have a large selection of flights available and that would make it difficult for some. The amount of flight slots available at the airport are limited due to restrictions in the area and to keep the noise down, no late night flights , I think the latest arrival is like 10 pm or something. The airport is getting a lot busier than it used to be , but still WAY easier than LAX.

Cori

Can someone tell me where Princess Island is berthed? I need a hotel close to pier for couple days. Want to rent car before going on cruise and need hotel where ship is docked. Does Princess Island go out of the area close to Queen Mary??? Thanks so much.

Can someone tell me where Princess Island is berthed? I need a hotel close to pier for couple days. Want to rent car before going on cruise and need hotel where ship is docked. Does Princess Island go out of the area close to Queen Mary??? Thanks so much.

I'm assuming you are taking one of the cruises (Hawaii, Mexico, 3 day "Turnaround") that departs from the LA area. Obviously, this wouldn't help you if you are going on an Alaskan cruise!

Check out this site:

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/facilities.htm

It gives information about the LA port, including things to do in the immediate area. To Be honest, I am a Southern California native, but that particular area where the ships are docked has always been a little confusing to me, and I am very good with directions. Yes, it isn't too far from Queen Mary and other Long Beach attractions.

This site:

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/

...will tell you where your ship is on any given day of your journey.

Hope this all helps!

-Vanessa

As another person noted, Princess leaves from the Port of Los Angeles. I believe there is an Enterprise rent-a-car literally right across the street from the Port.

Several area hotels offer pre-cruise packages. A very nice hotel is the Marina Hotel in San Pedro ....Marina Hotel San Pedro – San Pedro / Port of Los Angeles, California Accommodations Be forewarned, most parts of San Pedro can be a little seedy, but this is a very nice property on the water. I believe the Holiday Inn San Pedro also offers pre-cruise packages, but is not as nice in my opinion.

The Queen Mary is just across the Vincent Thomas Bridge in Long Beach (about 5-10 minutes from San Pedro area). There are several hotels on that side of the Harbor as well (in fact, the Queen Mary is a hotel, too). The Long Beach Aquairum and the Queen Mary used to share an all day pass (buy a pass, go to both). Highly recommend that. Both are great.

Any other questions, just drop a post. Great restaurants in Long Beach!

Even though it sounds like it would be easier to fly into Long Beach, I just can't find reasonable flights from here. We will probably be flying in the day before, arriving in the evening and leaving early the next morning.

I know traffic is a big factor, but any estimates on drive time from LAX to the port area? Suggestions on how to do that (shuttle, taxi, etc.)? Hotel recommendations in that area (family of 4); we like nice hotels, but don't want to spend a huge amount of money -- we often stay at Marriott. Also, a hotel with a free shuttle to the airport would be great.

Lots of questions here, but any help would be appreciated!

Archived