Help needed on choosing Alaska cruise

ChrisMiss

First of all, thank you so much in advance for anyone who helps me out here!

My husband and I have never been to Alaska. I do like the idea of seeing some of BC, too. For those of you experienced Alaska-cruisers, is this Infinity 13-night itinerary a good one? Will we miss a lot by not going further upwards than the Hubbard Glacier? Is the fact that this seems to go through the Inside Passage twice good or overkill? <G>

Mon, May 07 San Francisco, California

Tue, May 08 At Sea

Wed, May 09 Victoria, British Columbia

Thu, May 10 Nanaimo, British Columbia

Fri, May 11 Inside Passage (Cruising)

Sat, May 12 Prince Rupert, B.C.

Sun, May 13 Ketchikan, Alaska

Mon, May 14 Sitka, Alaska

Tue, May 15 Skagway, Alaska

Wed, May 16 Hubbard Glacier (Cruising)

Thu, May 17 Juneau, Alaska

Fri, May 18 Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Sat, May 19 Inside Passage (Cruising)

Sun, May 20 Vancouver, British Columbia

Thanks again!

Chris

It's the perfect itinerary for an Alaskan cruise and i've done many:) The inside passage is the best place of all with the beautiful scenery passing by your stateroom. Hubbard Glacier is the best one to visit as there is alot more calving than Glacier Bay. You really want the ice to fall down in the ocean. Don't spend any money on whale watching tours you will see plenty in Icy Straights. You can see whales just two days out of San Francisco. In Skagway the first place you come to is the Skagway Fish and chips place. DO NOT MISS the Halibut and chips. It will be almost as good as the SS United States. Call your agent now. Ernie

Ernie wrote:

"Hubbard Glacier is the best one to visit as there is alot more calving than Glacier Bay. You really want the ice to fall down in the ocean."

I think that was my hesitation about booking this particular itinerary -- that from the limited knowledge of Alaskan cruises that I've gathered so far, this itinerary only visits one glacier. Am I correct that Tracy Arm and the Glacier National Park and there's another I can't remember, I think it has Fiord in it or something, those are all other glacier places and this cruise doesn't go to any of them. Would I be missing out on a lot with that?

Thanks again!

Chris

The inside passage by itself is probably worth the cost of the cruise. This extraordinarly section of your cruise is very special. Add Hubbard Glacier and your 'home free.' We have had the great pleasure to cruise to Alaska twice--both from our home port of San Francisco. Alaska is a real treat and really not to be missed--but the highlights, in my opinion are Hubbard Glacier and the inside passage. Should your ship also include Tracy Arm (which goes up to Sawyer Glacier) so much the better. The ports are also very beautiful--Alaska is a win-win proposition for all the people who chose to cruise to that very beautiful state. Enjoy!!!!

This year's May 7th Summit had superb weather.Not 1 drop of rain, all clear sunshine, 70's during the day in our ports(when we got to one).I would pick May again in a heart beat. I for 1 would hesitate on Celebrity until they fix the pod issue. If you don't know what the issue is, read our comments on this year's cruise when we had a pod issue and missed the majoriey of our ports.

Thank you again to all of you who helped me decide. I went ahead and booked it!

I did read the pod issues thread. I'll keep watching. I know I can cancel this cruise with a full refund until final payment if things still look dire ;) as we head towards next year, but I wanted it booked now.

As for May being early for Alaska, I read many things here and elsewhere on Alaskan weather and how the landscape responds, and it seems it doesn't really matter. It's a crapshoot no matter when you go. You just have to be ready to take what Alaska gives ya, rain or shine. :)

Thanks again!

Chris

I think it's a great itinerary, and I was tempted to book it for next year. But - with a son still in high school, it left too early in May. I also wanted to do some touring of interior Alaska after the cruise, so I chose a northbound cruise on Princess that goes to 3 port towns and 3 (yes, three!) glaciers. :)

Since making the decision to go with Princess, I've become somewhat skittish about trying Celebrity because of the recent problems with Mercury and Summit...2 out of the 3 ships that sail to Alaska! Hopefully the Infinity will be fine for you.

That's definitely a fantastic itinerary! Have sailed twice (both were fantastic trips) on the Infinity to Alaska. Have also sailed two different sailings in early May where we lucked out and hit nice and dry weather on both sailings.

You've made a good choice IMO. May is also a good time to visit BC, before it gets too crowded.

Dave

We have jsut come back from 12 nights on the Infinity SF back to Sf the one you are choosing is with less sea days and more ports very very good and I would love to go on it as well.... The only thing about the early time in May is the thaw this year in Skagway when we were there I think 13th may had not properly begun so the magnificent lakes were still solid ice but still extremely spectacular.... gives us a reason tho go back at a slightly different time of year Sitka was a highlight could spend more time there :) and also the Icy Strait Point/Hoonah was a very relaxed small centre which we enjoyed because it didnt have Jewellry shops....!!!! lots of whales bald eagles nature walks wander along the beach walk into town one way and back by free shuttle. etc

Chris, that's a fantastic itinerary. If I wasn't already doing the Panama Canal for my big cruise next year, I'd take it! Especially since I live in San Francisco and can just take a streetcar to the pier :)

Which brings up why I posted: if you've not spent much time in San Francisco and/or Vancouver, and if you've got the time...take an extra day or two in each city. I went to Vancouver for the first time on a Mercury Pacific Northwest cruise last September, and loved it so much that I'm flying back there next weekend.

We just returned from the San Francisco to Hubbard Glacier and return. Our cruise did not include the inland passage way, but we had done it once before. You will not be disappointed. We were able to cruise extreamly close to the Glacier and the calving is not to be missed.

One of our stops was Icy Streights - it was amazing with whales blowing within hundreds of feet from the tenders.

I think it is impossible to overkill on the inside passage. The scenery is unbelievable and you realize what a small speck you are in the overall scheme of things. BC is great also. Just note that it will be a bit on the chilly side in May.

Archived