Switching roommates

How do people switch roommates at boarding? For instance, four relatives booked a cruise, A+B and C+D....but A wants to room with C and B wants to room with D. How or why they are booked this funny way to begin with doesn't really matter, but the married couple (that would be A and C) want to be together (naturally) and want to know - at the check-in desk? at the Pursers Desk? Never - just back up the room keys with each other's credit cards?

Sounds like a math equation, doesn't it?

Maddle

Yes - this bizarre arrangement is in fact due to some kind of discount eligibility rule. Fortunately, the four people are booked into adjacent rooms, and they are all related and (well) over 25, etc. (OT - this really is a legit booking, but what is the likelihood they will ask for the proof that those two cabins/four passengers should be at that rate at the check-in desk? At that point they are already booked and paid for.)

So - the four people check in together and then....go to the Purser? How much needs to be explained to the purser's desk? Do all four people need to go get in line, or just the two that are changing rooms? How soon do they need to go there - immediately? right after lunch? (Can you tell these people need very specific directions?)

Does each folio number stay the same, and the new key/pass reflects the passenger, new stateroom # and credit card? What about the id picture for embarking and disembarking while in port?

Maddle

Chances are really good that they will check to make sure that one person per cabin is eligible for the discount.

I haven't dealt with the other questions, so I won't answer them from heresay.

Have fun planning!

No explanation is necessary at the pursers desk. They already know what's happening and do it every cruise. If you feel compelled to say something say you had a quarrel and are switching rooms for that reason.

About four years ago, our old TA gave us such a good deal we couldn't pass it up. Well low and behold, when we got to the ship they asked for the ID, never thinking anything was wrong. THey told us at that time we were given senior discount and my husband and I did not qualify. Well, at that time we did not qualify, nor did we know it was given to us. No where on our docs was it written. Before we could be processed we had to pay the difference. When we got home i took the receipt to the TA, said we would never do business with them again if this is what they do to give people good deals. We never used them again. Long story short, yes they can and do check.

I know everyone's experiences are different, here is my switching of the rooms story. I was traveling with a group of 7 and before we left for the cruise we were going to call and switch but said we would do it at the dock. The check-in desk said they made the switch, however when we got to the room the keys didn't work because the switch never went through. We went to customer service later that night but because a purchase on the card was made they could no longer make the switch. So the whole week our key situation was messed up. The same thing happened last year we made a call and everything was fine at check in. Again it happened this year so I made my call several weeks ago. I called the other day to make sure that it was right and it sounds good. If you are traveling with a group odds are all your booking numbers are linked together. I would just call.

i had a similar situation a few months ago with switching rooms with my kids. i was all stressed about it- but when i got on board it was no problem- we just got extra copies of the room keys for all- and let the charges go to the room where we were registered- it was not a problem at all.

It may depend on how much the staff at the Purser's Desk knows and likes you. We have a mutual love fest going on the Sovereign - I love them, they love me. (yeah, yeah, we're a happy family :D). I asked them for an extra "key" for my cabin, and got it, no questions asked.

We have to do the same thing next week (woo hoo.. about going next week, not about getting extra room keys). Luckily, next year I'll be 21 and there will be no more headaches about who has to be in who's room for the booking. :)

Archived