will i make the plane from san juan ship AOS

You're going to get a lot of different replies on this one, mcskids, due to the unpredictability of disembarking at SJU. Things to consider:

1. Are there more flights that day to your city? Are you comfortable/flexible enough with flying standby if you miss your flight (and even have to stay overnight)?

2. Are you comfortable with carrying your own luggage off the ship? This is your best bet for quick disembarking, as you'll be in the first departure group.

3. Are you flying either AA or UA? For $10 you can checkin on the ship and drop your luggage off at the pier.

You're going to have a great time. The AOS is a gorgeous ship, and you picked a wonderful time of the year to go.

Enjoy!!

That sounds like you're pushing it a little to me. San Juan airport is a ZOO on cruise departure days and I've spent 2 hours just in line checking in. Security line can be very long too. I wouldn't chance it personally. We don't usually book to leave SJU until 2:00 or after. You might get lucky and make it but as the previous poster said, be prepared to be flexible if you do miss your flight.

Nothing is certain, but the Magic 8 ball says - Outlook Good.

I know on our cruise they were only handing out white debark tickets to people whose flights were 11:00 or earlier, so they must think you should be able to.

Hi! We just booked flights for our son thru RCCL. They told us that any flight after 10:00 would be ok. That seems a little early for me. Every cruise is different. Phone custome air and they should be able to tell you! Enjoy your cruise.

There is always the possiblilty that something could go wrong but most of the time it doesn't. I think a noon time flight out of San Juan is very reasonable. The airport is only 20 minutes from the pier.

The way I see it is that if something does by chance go wrong you are missing a flight home you aren't missing your cruise.

A 10:50 is definitely out. On Serenade, any flight before 11am got the early debarkation tags - a sure sign that those flights were too early. I flew home the day after early in the morning. It took us 1-1/2 hours to get checked in and through security. I ended up taking a later flight, and the airport just got worse as the day went on, not better - and one of the 2 cruiseships that was supposed to be there that day was severely delayed.

My advice would be no, if you can plan on staying the night in Puerto Rico in case of strikes :rolleyes:

Strikes???

There are no strikes and the SJU Airport its not a ZOO, It just depends on the airline you travel to mainland, If AA you should not experienze long waits, but I can't say the same for the others airlines, thing is that SJU is one on the hubs for AA, and have a lot of resources available, the rest of the airlines have presence and they do the work but with less personnel.

I have sailed on AOS and trust me I've been to most airports world wide; San Juan's is behind the times and s l o w!

When you get there, you get to stand in line to use the phone to check in. Then you get in another line to get your boarding pass. Ah, and then check your luggage. All this with not only cruisers from AOS but others too. Don't let a bad experience at the airport ruin it for you.

I say make it a later flight and tour the beautiful city of Puerto Rico.:)

Strikes???

There are no strikes and the SJU Airport its not a ZOO, It just depends on the airline you travel to mainland, If AA you should not experienze long waits, but I can't say the same for the others airlines, thing is that SJU is one on the hubs for AA, and have a lot of resources available, the rest of the airlines have presence and they do the work but with less personnel.

Oh I am not talking abiout airport strikes, my friend. My first cruise was on AOS and I booked a flight around 4pm and missed it because there was a port worker strike against Royal Caribbean over a contract between the two parties, apparently the workers were not pleased with Royal Caribbean's terms and refused to work that day.

The strike was not against Princess or Carnival, just Royal Caribbean who made an announcement that they were going to call the airport and let them know the situation, but of course it did not happen.That was the last bit of communication we had with staff from Royal Caribbean and it was a madhouse getting off the ship, with no instructions,no guidance,no information, no staff to be seen anywhere, just 3000+ people pushing and shoving to get off the ship.

When we finally got to the airport we had minutes to spare and missed out flight as they had stopped taking any more passengers and were totally unaware of the strike.A.A.was nice enough to rebook our flight for the next day at no extra charge, but we were forced to spend that night in Puerto Rico.And it wasn't as easy as saying "oh we missed our flight no big deal "we had to find a place to stay at the last minute and were tired and hungry after the nightmare of getting off AOS and that was our honeymoon cruise so it was not a nice ending to an otherwise lovely week. Lots of other passengers missed their flight as well, the airport was a mess.

After that experience I will be staying one night post cruise for every and any cruise I am embarking upon unless it leaves from where I live!

just my 2 cents.

And take a taxi.

I have a little experience doing this.

Golden Princess May 04 - took the rccl bus back to SJU and I know we were there a least 3 hours before our 1pm flight.

AOS April 05 - We were the first color off and at the airport at 9:30 a.m. waiting for our 12:30 p.m. flight. - we took a cab much easier

This past April we were on the Serenade and were the first color off and again at the airport at 9:00.

Yes there are things that can happen so I'm not saying that. I was on the MOS last October and we had to stop in Miami on the way back for a medical emergency. Had I done the self assist, we wouldn't have been that bad. We didn't get off the ship until 10:00 and barely made our flight. But with that said, the port is at least 45 minutes away from MCO.

That's why I like SJU and MIA that they are close to the ports so if something should happen, you have a better chance of still getting there on time.

Hope this helps.

We left san juan last october at noon and had no problem, however we are platnuim and got off the ship by 8:45. We took a taxi and got there in plenty of time. I would do it again, same way! Just be sure your luggage tags get you off the ship as early as possible.:)

Archived