Victory's 2 dining rooms

cbeachrose

I like the idea of a midship dining room. We were on the Oosterdam to Alaska in May of 2005 and the dining room was aft. There was a lot of motion. The trip and the ship were great, though.

How do they determine what dining room you're assigned? We've requested 2nd early dining time.

Thanks for any info.

The determine which dining room you are assigned to by where your room is located. If you are towards the back of ship you will have the aft dining room and the same for the front. Not sure how they split up the midship people

How do they determine what dining room you're assigned? We've requested 2nd early dining time..

Part of the answer is determined by your location on the ship. Generally, cabins farther aft go to the Aft Dining Room. That's just a "general rule"...as I've known people in forward cabins asigned to the Aft Dining Room. If you have any questions/problems, see the MaitreD the day of embarkation. The time/place will be in your Capers

So then our request for second early seating is inconsequential as we will be assigned a dining room (and therefore, dining time) based on our cabin location?

Sounds like a visit to the maitre d' will be on our "to do" list...

So then our request for second early seating is inconsequential as we will be assigned a dining room (and therefore, dining time) based on our cabin location?

Sounds like a visit to the maitre d' will be on our "to do" list...

I don't think the request is inconsequential. Last year we had a forward cabin but an aft dining room assignment, so cabin location isn't everything. We've requested the second early seating as well for Victory this year - I just prefer the 6:15 dining time. We had 5:45 on Conquest, and it was just a bit too early for us. I know that what you request isn't guaranteed, but I think they try to accommodate requests as much as possible.

we just returned from a may cruise on the victory. our cabin was aft (all the way on the back of the ship) but our dining room was midship, we also had the latest seating 8:30. hope you have a great cruise. WE DID!!:)

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the earliest seating is in the aft dining room, the 2nd seating in the mid, the 3rd seating (or earliest 2nd seating) is in the aft dining room and the 4th is in the mid. I don't think it has anything to do with where your cabin is located.

Thanks, everyone. This is our 3rd cruise. We had a great time on the last 2 so I'm sure this one will be a good one too. I've found that things are what you make them. Hopefully the hurricane season will be fading so I won't be tested on that. ;-)

Happy sailing!

That's what I heard, too, arf2005, and one of the reasons we chose the 6:15 dining time. (We were in the aft dining room on Carnival Destiny years ago on the same itinerary we'll be doing this summer, and the same cabin type and deck, so we wanted something to be different. :) ) It's not a big deal if we have to see the maitre d', though. I'll report when we return.

We are midship and requested the 6:15. I had originally requested the 8, but my 7yr old loves Camp Carnival after dinner. He would miss all the activities with the 8 dinner. I really dont care.

Last August we had requested the 6:15 dining time for our Victory Cruise. When we received our S & S cards we noticed we had been assigned the 5:45 time instead in the Pacific Dining Room (aft). Luckily I decided to check out our table assignment BEFORE going to the Maitre'D to request a change. Our table was at the very back of the ship with floor to ceiling windows. We loved this location!! The views were tremendous and I really liked being away from the main hub-bub at the center of the dining room. Our family group of 7 was seated at a large round table which made for good conversation (as opposed to the long rectangular tables.) Yes, we did feel some motion, but not enough to detract from our wonderful dinners. IMHO I thought the Pacific Dining Room was much nicer than the Atlantic and was glad we had NOT gotten what we requested. BTW...we were in cabin 6371 which was closer to the rear of the ship so perhaps that is why we got assigned like we did.

I hope this is one cruise where a visit to the Matre' D is not needed. We booked this cruise 11 1/2 months ago with a request for 6:15. I really don't care where the dining room is, I just want the seating I asked for. With that said, 3 cabins crossed referenced, I know I will be making the trek to get it fixed..... lol.

Alan

• 1 month later...

We returned from Carnival Victory yesterday -- great cruise, by the way.

Indeed, a trip to the maitre d' was in order after we boarded. We had requested the 6:15 dining time. When we received our S&S cards upon boarding, we learned that we were assigned to the 8:30 seating. Now, as one of us has an insulin resistance, this just wouldn't do. So, we found the maitre d' (he was inside the Atlantic Dining Room -- note that this was not mentioned in the daily Capers, but was quite visible from the lobby bar). We were instructed to go to our 8:30 pm seating that evening, and we would be notified of a new dining assignment the next day. Sure enough, the following morning there was a note slipped under our door indicating our new time (6:15) and table.

I don't know why Carnival does not confirm dining times, even if it's just "late" or "early." Other lines do it, so it's certainly possible.

But -- we did not let this damper our cruise. On the bright side, we were able to enjoy sailaway a lot longer than we typically could, and it was fabulous.

And here I was convinced that they just pull cabin numbers out of a hat...;) My husband and I were on the Victory in April in a Cat 11 suite midship. We requested a large table (to meet people), preferably near a window, and the earlier of the two late dining times. We ended up in the middle of the dining room, on the second level (no windows...), latest possible dining time, at a 4 person table. Oh yeah, and the other 2 guests were no-shows the whole week. :rolleyes: We still had a great time though; we just quietly poked fun at people to keep ourselves entertained. (I know, I know...not nice). So now I would like to publicly apologize to anyone my husband and I may have ridiculed...:D But hey, if you wear short denim shorts on formal night, fair game. So the point of this long, rambling post is...who knows how they do it! Just go with the flow and make the best of it!

Archived