Do I need to learn Italian?

At least on our trips to Europe so far almost everyone we have met in the tourist industry including in the stores and shops understood and spoke some English (except for a few in Paris but the French are a whole different issue). Learning a few basic phases in Italian sure can't hurt but I suspect you can get along with just English unless you plan on spending a lot of time away from the tourist areas.

Have a great next cruise.

As the other poster said, most tourist areas do have people that understand English but I was suprised time and again at how many didn't. I took a course at our local adult education dept. 'Italian for travel' and it was great for basic greetings( which the Italians love!), transportation, asking prices, for the restroom, etc. People got a kick out of us attempting their language and were very helpful. I personally think they appreciate and respect the effort on our part. French/France is a whole other story! I found it fun to be challenged. Maybe you will too.:D

Missyal

Basic polite phrases will be most helpful.

Learn to say good morning, good night, please, and thank you in Italian will do it. Just four phrases.

Your attempts will be much appreciated.

Pincus

I agree with the previous posters, we spent 7 days in Rome (May)last year, and we found that many shopowners did not speak English. I think it also depends when you go - apparently, in the summer, there are more English speaking retail clerks on staff.

It is quite different from Northern Europe where they have an excellent command of English (the French probably do as well, it is just they won't accomodate you).

Learn the basics in Italian, greetings, "where are the bathrooms", may we have the check, where is ..., how much is; "due cappuccini, per favore" is one we used all the time (two capuccinos, please). Also, be fairly familiar with their numbers.

. . . (the French probably do as well, it is just they won't accomodate you).
Just a note on this because I have a different opinion or maybe just a different way of stating this and know that ehogan is a very nice board member who would probably elaborate too. My opinion is that when I travel to a different country, the citizens of that country get to decide what is and is not rude in their country. The French believe it is rude when tourists don't attempt to speak a few words of French, so I think this is just about respect. I'm glad to follow the norms regarding courtesy in France and have always been treated very warmly in return.

Back to Italian, you probably won't have to use much, but it's fun to learn if you're so inclined, so I recommend the Pimsleur's series. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743550439/sr=8-2/qid=1149517910/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6129484-8715808?%5Fencoding=UTF8 for an affordable set of 16 half-hour lessons that you can take on CD while traveling in your car. I have taken French, Italian, German, and Spanish in this series while on my nightly walks in my neighborhood, and we think it's a lot of fun to converse with the local residents during our travels.

Have a great trip,

Donna

True, Donna. My comment probably could be misinterpreted.

The only time we were in France was when I was three years out of high school (many years ago), so my high school French (required for five years) was still in good form and I did use it exclusively - I contrast that with one of our tripmates who tried to order in English and got a pretty poor response - I became the interpreter from that point on. We also found that outside of Paris, the people in France were quite willing to try and carry on a conversation in whatever language worked.

Things may have changed since those many years ago, but I agree that at least an attempt in the local language is a respectful thing to do.

I contrast that with one of our tripmates who tried to order in English and got a pretty poor response - I became the interpreter from that point on. We also found that outside of Paris, the people in France were quite willing to try and carry on a conversation in whatever language worked.

Things may have changed since those many years ago, but I agree that at least an attempt in the local language is a respectful thing to do.

Yeah, I thought we were on the same page because I've read your comments before and know that you are a traveler that I would be proud to be associated with. My French is not good, so I just know how to ask for directions, etc. but have interpreted for other tourists who didn't understand why the French citizens were not being cooperative. So it's great that we have these boards and other tools to help us understand other cultures.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

I just have to add this re France. I travel to France as much as I can and I don't speak French per se,but over the time in my travels I have picked up some words,and I have learned some words,but even when I did not I never had a problem in France in any part of the country.I observed,and listened to those around me,smiled,and was as polite as I could be,and I learned the do's and don'ts of the culture which can be of great help in the long run.I find that many Americans follow their own rule and tend to be on the side of rude and the French just plain don't like it hence the coldness in a lot of instances.This really can be said for a lot of other countries as well so it never hurts to learn a few words,be polite,smile and most of all no matter what language say thank you for anything they do for you.Didn't meant to lecture,but thougth it could not hurt;)

I wouldn't approach it as "do I need to learn Italian?" which sounds a bit like "do I HAVE TO??????????"

If you asked me "will learning some words in the local language improve my trip and lead to better service?" I would say yes, absolutely. It's a sign of respect.

I think it will be fun to learn a little Italian before we go and as you can see I have plenty of time. My oldest son knows Spanish so it should be easy for me to teach him a little since I know that some of the words can be similar. I will have to add that to my list of things to do. Wish me luck!

I have alreadly taught all 3 sons how to say Happy Birthday since mine is on Thursday. LOL!:)

Soonerfans, I lived in Italy for a few years and really respect the Italian people. To use an overused phrase, many of them will give you the shirt off of their back to help you. I have had them take me by the hand and take me where I was trying to go. But, it is necessary to show respect to them and learn some of their language, if you show them that you are trying, even reading it out of a phrase book they will be more than happy to help you.

I have seen some of the "ugly americans", you know the ones that I am talking about, the ones that think everyone should speak English and ask an Italian if they speak english and some of them will answer NO. I have also seen others ask the same person in Italian if they speak English and they answer yes and will try to help them.

Good luck on your trip Italy is a beautiful country, with great people.

5soon, where are you going to go in Italy?

I think that it quite depends from places, position of the people and much more in what are you looking for... I'f you're trying to buy something anyone will understand you!:D

Kiddin', what I mean is that if You come to Milan and go in Via Montenapoleone to the Gucci shop everybody will speak english, a butcher in a small village in the south of italy maybe not.

As you said if any of you speaks and understand a little spanish everything will be very easy for him to understand the sense of what people is talking about.

Generally I'll say that is spoken a little bit more in the north of italy and mainly in big cityes, also consider that younger people (under 40) should have studied at the primary school..

Buone vacanze

I always try to learn a little of the language, even if it's just the basic greetings, knowing how to ask for my meals and wine, directions, and purchasing tickets. I think most foreigners will appreciate you if you try to speak their language. I even been complimented on my French and Italian that made me feel great!

Monica

Hi Yannis!

The Italians are helpful and will do what they can to assist. However, and as always, knowing your "please" and "thank you" will always show that you realise the fault is yours in not knowing their language, and not their fault in not knowing yours.

That is, in my experience, the same over most of Europe.

I say that as someone with limited German, but otherwise no foreign language ability at all.

The French are a law to themselves. My mother has learnt over time that, and certainly in Normandy, an English person speaking French badly sounds like a German, and accordingly doesn't win visitor of the week award. As soon as she indicated that she was English, their English magically reappeared. I'm not sure how this works with Americans speaking French badly though. But on the other hand, why should a nation that has been written off as "cheese eating surrender monkeys" feel warm towards an American? You've probably more work to do to overcome that than other nationalities.

A lot of Americans tend to see the world as a suburb of the USA, and therefore expect that everything is the same as it is in the USA. Those Americans are likely to annoy a European. Unfortunately, they are the most easily noticed - by definition the quieter among you will not come to attention in the same way! As an Englishman I have the same handicap with some of my fellow citizens, who have the same attitude, mutatis mutandis.

One other small point. I think most Europeans learn English English, rather than American English, so confusion caused by asking for the bathroom could well be the same confusion as you might get in London!

Hope that makes some sense. No offence intended to anyone!

Archived