Dawn Princess Stateroom-Where do the 3rd and 4th person sleep?

threepeas

We are crusing the Dawn Princess to Alaska in August 2007. For economic reasons we are going to have 4 of us in one stateroom (Oceanview Double with Balcony), does anyone know how the beds are arranged in that type of stateroom to fit 4 people?

I have looked at the Princess website, but they just show a "typical" stateroom picture and floorplan with two twins or one queen, where do the other 2 people sleep?

Thanks for your help!

There are two “bunks” that are stowed in the ceiling. Usually while you are at dinner, your steward will let them down, using a special key. Again at mid morning, they are made and placed back in the ceiling.

Sometime back, there was a link here with pictures of the steward demonstrating the process. Someone may have it handy or you can search this group for the last 18 months.

We'll be doing the same thing for our Western Caribbean cruise in December on the Grand Princess. It will be me and my three grown daughters (25, 25, and 27.)

It's my understanding that there are beds that pull down from the ceiling to make bunk beds for the third and fourth passengers.

Triple and Quad balconies on the Sun Class (Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess) are entirely different from the Grand class ship. This cabin really has a bad layout and unforunately I don't have any pictures of it.

This room has no beds in it. It has a bench that is used as a bed. During the day - it is used for sitting. The other 3 benches (beds) fold out from the wall. There is no way for the lower benches to be moved together on this configuration. There is also no place to keep suitcases since there are no beds in this room.

Hulagirl has stayed in this room and I sent her an email to respond.

The quad inside and oceanview cabins have a better layout compared to the triple and quad balcony cabins on the Sun Class. If you can possibly do 2 cabins - a regular balcony cabin and put the kids across the hall (not sure of their ages), you will be much happier. Or, if you can afford a minisuite - that would be the way to go.

The pictures of the balcony on Grand class ships do not represent the balcony quad cabins on the Sun class.

Exactly what Coral just wrote! The Grand Class ships are completely different than the Sun Class (except Island and Coral) on how their triple/quad balcony rooms are configured. Even if you call Princess, they will tell you differently that there are 2 beds with pull outs for the extra 3rd and 4th bed.

We sailed on the Sun Princess (husband, daughter and myself) back in 1999 and almost quit sailing with Princess if all the triple cabins would be like this. When we opened the door and walked in I thought they had made a mistake and put us in a closet.

There is one narrow couch like thing that is used as a bed and the other 3 will fold out of the walls. If there are 4 of you in the cabin, I have no idea where you will store your luggage. With 3 of us, we had to use that small couch to store everything on and could never use it to sit on. This is the smallest cabin we have ever been in. Last month we did a 1 night cruise on the Dawn Princess (first time on one of these ships since the Sun) and we opted to just book a window cabin so we could have 2 beds with the 3rd folded out of the wall. So much more comfortable than that balcony cabin.

Sorry to be so negative, but any response you get from someone who has not stayed in a balcony cabin on the Sun/Dawn, has no idea what these cabins are like. As you notice on the floor plans, there are very few of these and for good reason. They are horrible.

I'm always so disappointed when I see a particular cruise route that looks good and then I see that it is on the Sun/Dawn/Sea and we just forget about it then. The mini and full suites on these ships are very nice, but also very expensive.

Good luck! I do hope you can do what Coral suggested and book 2 cabins. Even an inside would be better than this. They at least have beds.

Hulagirl

Thank you Coral and Hulagirl!

I did call Princess and they told me that beds 3 and 4 fold out from the wall, sounds like from your experiences that is not correct for this ship.

I will see what we can work out, thank you again for responding!

You are correct, they have no idea about these ships when you call. I was told that the beds could be pushed together! Joke was on us because there are no actual beds in these cabins. If you were to get an ocean view, without a balcony, then there are regular beds with the bunks that fold out of the wall. The design was so strange.

We just did a (1) day cruise on the Dawn Princess this past May. First time we have gone back to give one of these ships a try. I did have the option of a balcony cabin, but I told my TA that I had no desire and we booked the ocean view. Even for one night I just couldn't deal with that cabin design.

I do hope something works out for you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here. We were on the ship for 12 days for a Panama Canal transit when we sailed on the Sun. Great ports, just too long in that cabin.

Hulagirl

Archived