Rude People

Another thought- rudeness may sometimes be differences in perception. I go bonkers when a group of people walk really s-l-o-w-l-y and in a horizontal line in front of me. Maybe they think I'm rude when I (politely) say, "excuse me" and cut through.

I walk really fast and that drives me crazy also but I can see how me walking around the group to pass them would be seen as rude just like I see them blocking me as rude. It is all perspective.

We've cruised 4 times with DCL out of FL but with ships filled with NJ people due to teacher conference and a week off from school in Nov. They have been the most wonderful people, with very little rudeness. I think people from NJ get a bad rap at times. I grew up in PA and when I moved here I was really upset when I got my NJ liscense plate because people would think I was a NJ driver. The people I have met here in 10 years are nicer and kinder than people I've met in other places.

Some people in large groups, who have paid what they think is a good deal of money for a vacation tend to forget others have paid the same and deserve the same. I consider them entertainment and they come in all ages from different locations. It's unfortunate the poster complaining of NJ rudeness was cruising from NJ and used the NJ stereotype as the excuse for the rudeness he encountered. We're all not bad, really.

If someone is engaged in inappropriate touching on a cruise ship you should take it to security and keep going until it's resolved. It's against the law. I am sickened that a young lady was so abused she was afraid to leave her cabin. Rude is not holding the elevator for an elderly passenger. Touching a woman sexually when she dos not want you to is sexual abuse.

Well seeing as it was my OP that started all of this, a feel I need to clear a few things up, correct a few of you and add a few extras on top.

1. I am a she not a he.

2. Although I did say there were a lot of rude people I did also say that we met a lot of very nice people.

3. I also mentioned that I would not let all of these rude people ruin my holiday, we just laughed their behaviour off.

4. I have Stereotyped People! - I don't think so. As I mentioned at the begining of my review my husband and I spent a couple of days in New York City before boarding the ship. The whole time we were in NYC we met and encountered nothing but friendly and helpful people. From the Airport staff at Newark Airport to the hotel receptionist, to the bus drivers, taxi drivers, attractions assistants, people in the street - so I can assure you I was definatley not stereotyping people as rude on the ship because they were from NY/NJ. My husband and I even commented on a number of occasions during the 2 days how friendly everyone was and what exceptional service we had been receiving whilst visiting the city.

5. Perception of rudeness - Perhaps because I come from Scotland which is known for it's friendly polite locals that the attitude of some of the people on the ship was unacceptable and shocking. Please, thank you and common courtesy are all second nature to me so perhaps when I come in to contact with someone with different standards they stand out more no matter what country or area they come from, as their actions are not the same as my own and not something I am accustomed to. These actions may not be perceived as wrong by some people but to me it was. I am sure that a lot of you that said that you did not meet any rude people on the ship are just immune to it as perhaps you come into contact with this type of behaviour on a more regular basis than I do and perhaps the behaviour which I classed as rude which could also be described as brash, loud, no consideration for others is normal to a lot of people as they are surrounded by it - I'm not being funny but a lot of people from NJ/NY who did reply to my OP did say this.

But then again perhaps I am wrong and my polite nature is not normal and the other passengers manner was normal. I could be the minority in which case I apologise for being different.

6. Europeans - British people are very different from French, German and Italians and so would agree that there are bad experiences to be had in these countries too but you could have a very bad experience anywhere in the world including Britain.

I have to finish off by saying that I have visited the States more times than I can remember over the past 31 years of my life including Florida, California, New England etc and have never encountered this type of behaviour before and have only ever had good experiences and look forward to visiting again.

Perhaps floating on water effected some peoples manners!

In 2002 we (my mom,stepdad, and I) went on the Monarch. We were seted with what we thought were a nice family from Colorado. they didn't speak for about 15 min despited numerous atempts to communicate. The father of the family asked us how much we made a year. We told him that wasn't his concern. He replied "unless you make atlest $50K we don't talk to you." of corse we dont. so we requested that we be moved and thankfuly we got moved to sit with two vary nice older couples, and now we have some vary good friends. Remember it all depends on the people not were there from. SAFE AND ENJOYABLE CRUISING!

Monarch 6/15-6/20/02

Freedom 6/10-6/17/07

I can attest that going out of NY/NJ can generate a different class of clientel. I have cruised 15+ cruises, many of them from NY/NJ. I never had a problem until 2005 on the Carnival Legend out of NY. The teenagers on that ship must of came from a boot camp for unruly teens. They were not well mannered or even ment to mingle in with cival people. I took my 13 yr old granddaughter and the teen boys thought nothing of grabbing her in areas that should not be touched! She was so upset(even though she cruised before and had a great time) she didn't want to leave the cabin. I spoke with the staff about the situation and nothing was resolved. Suppposidly a grandmother had taken 6 grandchildren on this cruise and the teens were out of control. A few other pax on the ship complained about the same situation happening to their children to the cruise staff , but if fell on deaf ears. This was my 1st and last cruise on Carnival Lines (since I never encountered a problem like this on RC Ships) I don't know if the price is one of the reasons you find different classes on different ships, I am trying Princess Crown out of NY July2-11, 2006 and this should tell the tale!

If these are the same teens Im thinking of I am truly sorry for there behavior. I had friends that were braging about something like that situation and Im sorry. Like i said they were friends of mine and somethings of this nater happended with my little sister. I put 1 in the hospital and 1 went to jail. I hope that nothing ever happens like that again to your granddaughter. SAFE AND ENJOYABLE CRUISEING!

Monarch 6/15-6/20/02

Freedom 610-6/17/07

It's funny reading this thread because everyone has a different opinion on the people in each area of the country. I'm from the midwest and have read many surveys that indicated people from the midwest were the friendliest!...
LOL...I'm an East Coast transplant to the midwest, and I find people to be more polite than back home, but also much more reserved (Minnesota nice vs. Minnesota ice;) )....

One concept that does NOT work out as well in MN is the 4-way stop sign...everyone is constantly waving everyone else through, and nobody actually GOES!:D

One concept that does NOT work out as well in MN is the 4-way stop sign...everyone is constantly waving everyone else through, and nobody actually GOES!:D

That kind of behavior here could get the V8 behind you rammed into the trunk of your car!

In 2002 we (my mom,stepdad, and I) went on the Monarch. We were seted with what we thought were a nice family from Colorado. they didn't speak for about 15 min despited numerous atempts to communicate. The father of the family asked us how much we made a year. We told him that wasn't his concern. He replied "unless you make atlest $50K we don't talk to you." of corse we dont. so we requested that we be moved and thankfuly we got moved to sit with two vary nice older couples, and now we have some vary good friends. Remember it all depends on the people not were there from. SAFE AND ENJOYABLE CRUISING!

Monarch 6/15-6/20/02

Freedom 6/10-6/17/07

Oh you mean there are rude people everywhere and it isn't just restricted to "other" cruiselines??? Sorry - not slamming you. I just can not get over the fact that no matter what the topic someone always finds a way to relate the bad the "other" cruiselines. Come on folks - lets get real - there are rude people everywhere - it is not restricted to any region of the country or any particular cruiseline or any particular venue of any kind.

We have always found this absolutely hysterical...standing in a long line to get in the diningroom. Everyone is assigned a table, so what's the point?:D :rolleyes: :D

That's funny. Now that you mention it, I do remember that the only time I encountered everyone waiting in line for dinner was on my one and only Carnival cruise. No one was rude though.

Are Carnival cruisers just more eager to eat? I thought they were the stereotypical drinkers? :D

Archived