Should we go with Beno or Reyno?

sparkysfriends

Hi-

I know that tours with both Beno and Reyno have been highly recommended. If anyone has information on both, or have done tours with each of them, which one would you recommend and why? The price that Reyno quoted us for a private tour (just my family of 4) is just a few dollars more than the price of a group tour with Beno? I want to reserve with one of them ASAP, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Sparkys!!

Since I went with Beno, I'd have to give my vote for him. We had a wonderful time with him. Beno is very informative and a very nice person. You definately can't go wrong with him!

Just in case you need his email, it's benox265@hotmail.com

Enjoy Dominca....it's a beautiful, unspoiled island!

• 2 weeks later...

sparkysfriends-

For me, it's Reyno Tours all the way! If you're looking for a private tour and Reynold's price was just a bit higher than the group van, then do it :) It's also alot of fun to go with Reyno Tours meeting others from the ship.

Alot of folks you'll meet on the ship at dinner or at the clubs haven't planned anything at all for this island, so it's also a great opportunity to invite them along since you'll be choosing a very reputable tour guide. I've heard lots of great things about both of these guys, but I can personally recommend reynotours@hotmail.com

Have a blast!

Just came back from 6/11/06 cruise and can tell you that Beno is best. I'm sure others are good but no one can try harder or do better than Beno.

Witness his emails afterwards:

Augustine Beno Pascal <benox265@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello Mike,

I hope all is well with you and the rest of your family,I do sincerely

hope you guys are back home buy now and pretty much settled,I just wanted to drop in these few lines to thank you very much for coming, although i was'nt the one who did you tour personally but pretty much have a good idea how much Joseph took care of you guys,Please continue to spread the good news about this beautiful island and offcourse the Beno tours,also i do hope that sometime in the near future that you'll return to my beautiful Island this time for a few more days .

Once again thanks much for coming I truely appreciate having all of you guys.

Kind regards.

Beno.

And:

Hello Mike,

Thanks much for being intouch you should know that I'm very much happy to learn of how enjoyable your short stay on my beautiful Island was,also It's refreshing to know of your interest in come back for a few more day some time in the near future and would be honored to be the one to take you around to the various sites of interest of my beautiful island Dominica.

Kind regards to you sir.

Beno.

We got back Monday - still tired from all the fun. It was cool meeting several other CC's on our thread in Dominica on Beno's tour.

He was as good as advertised - I know some weren't as happy with all the rain - but I loved it! I'm talking to him about spending more time on that beatiful island in the near future with him as a guide. He is so gracious!

Mike

Mike- I'm with you on how friendly and exceptional the folks of Dominica are by your emails. Reynold of Reyno Tours still emails me and even calls me several times per year to check on me and my family. It's been since October 2004 that I was on his tour. He is a truly caring person as is Beno by your statements. These are wonderful tour guides and fantastic human beings. So nice to hear these things on here. :) Thanks for sharing!

Hi guys-

Well we booked with Reyno. I knew from everyone's posts that I won't go wrong with either one, but for just a little more than the group tour with Beno, my family can go by ourselves in the van. I also have the option of adding a few more friends if I choose to, which will bring the price lower. Both Beno and Reynold have been thoroughly pleasant and professional gentlemen in all of my correspondence with them. That alone was what made this a difficult choice. I'll let you all know how it goes after I return.

Thanks again.

Does anyone know how much Beno charges pp as opposed to Reyno? Or it is all negotiable?

I've just been in touch with both within the last week regarding my visit in Jan 2007. Beno quotes $40/person in a group setting (he never said what the minimum # was), but one van holds 11 and the other holds 14. He quoted us $80/person if just my fiance and I were going (plus $2 at emerald pool and the falls per person).

Reynold quoted $40/person with no mention of any minimum number or group price. I just emailed him back and will let you know. He did mention a few more stops than Beno (around 30 to 40 minutes each), but Beno said that you can customize your tour, depending on where you want to go and how long you want to spend there (he said a total of 5 hours).

Both are VERY polite and thoughtful in their emails, and if that can come through on the screen, I can't imagine what they're like in person!

Anywho, hope this helps!!

• 1 month later...

We've used Beno in the past and he was just extraordinary. We've already got him booked again for our next visit in Mar 07! He's warm, friendly, knowledgeable and absolutely loves his beautiful island. He will customize his tour for whatever interests you. We wanted to go somewhere away from the tourist crowds and he took us to the Carib territory. What an amazing day we had.

• 3 weeks later...

i also just contacted them both and they both were extremely prompt and VERY FRIENDLY in their responses. The quotes I received were identical ($35 per person). However, Beno was personally booked during our travel time (he offered a back up for us) and Reyno still had availability...so Reyno it is for us. (9/12/06 on the Destiny - - - Will anyone be joining us? - Serene56!!)

My vote is for Beno!

We went on a tour with Beno in January of this year. He's very personable, friendly, will answer any question you have, and customizes his tour to you. Our entire group (my sister and I (17 at the time), my parents and aunt (all in their 50's)) enjoyed it immensely. His tour was our favorite of the entire cruise!

Good luck on making your decision.

Im going to be in Dominica in feb,and would very much like to take one of these tours,could someone please let me know how to get in touch with both.Thank you..Dot

Hello Dot..... Wish I were going with you! You can reach Reynold of Reyno Tours at his email: reynotours@hotmail.com

You will have an spectacular day with him and the beautiful Island.

Thanks for his adress..I got an email from him promptly today saying that he will be available,and I must say,I am already impressed by him! He sent me a very nice email.Cant wait! Dot

For our main 2 Cruise Critic Dominica guides:

Beno:D is at:

benox265@hotmail.com

No website, I was very happy with him and Joesph, his other driver. Photos I found of him on webshots.

BENO! And Mr. Nice at Mr. Nice to be Nice's fruitstand! Where you can try all the fruits as well as saltfish, candied coconut, fresh sugarcane juice.. by Rachelle1202 (That's him on the right)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/545661627/1545711806084531763ATlzFc#

Dominica Beno coconut by rpplano

Beno and Moses took machetes and went into the nearby forest to cut us some fresh coconuts. Yummy. We had our first taste of "jelly juice" the liquid that comes from the young coconuts. At this point, the coconut is soft and is scooped out using the top of the coconut. Very tasty.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/359730960/1364787123071604563jrFqsV

Beno's tour spot by rpplano

http://community.webshots.com/photo/548939620/2801610800039423270MBbJNK

Reyno:D is at:

reynotours@hotmail.com

No website, much high praise from everyone, also.

Adrienne playing 'let's make a deal' with Reyno by liner37

http://community.webshots.com/photo/225164367/1225181984055063454HcEhkt#

Dominica - Red or Blue?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/326892984/1328220283058411760RPyNSM

dominicamapsm.gif

domini4.jpg

Thanks for his adress..I got an email from him promptly today saying that he will be available,and I must say,I am already impressed by him! He sent me a very nice email.Cant wait! Dot

Dot, I'm so happy for you and you won't be sorry! Please tell him I said hello as well..... For anyone in the NYC area, Reynold, who is quite the musician, will be playing over the Labor Day holiday there.

That picture is of Boiling Lake and the waterfall below it. I've never been there (yet) but I suspect it may have been doctored a little. You won't see it on a cruise day - it's a 8 hour or so extreme hike from the trailhead.

From a Dominica website:

The Basics

The Boiling Lake is a flooded fumarole approx. 6.5 miles east of Roseau. It is filled with bubbling greyish-blue water that is usually enveloped in a cloud of vapour. The lake is approximately 200ft (63m) across. Full background to The Lake.

The Trail

Any page about The Boiling Lake trail should start with the cardinal rule: first and foremost go with someone who knows the way well. You can get a guide when you get to the usual launching point - Laudat - or you can ask around in Roseau in the days before you go. The trail is for the most part well defined and it is tempting to set out on one's own. But since much is along a razor-thin ridge and there are other parts where you're scrambling over rocks, the experience of One Who Knows The Way is without price (but will usually cost you about EC$150 for two).

The trail itself is around eight miles. Officially it's around a three-hour walk each way, and that amount of time should be allowed for; do not start the hike after midday. The going is not, in horse racing terms, Good to Firm. 'Extremely Muddy' describes it better. Which leads into cardinal rule number two: wear your scruffiest clothes. The problem is that few people travel on their dream holiday to the Caribbean with the kind of clothes they'd mow the lawn in or paint the house. Nethertheless, I've seen many good (brand new, even) training shoes totally ruined by a trip to The Lake. Good walking boots are best, but any firm & comfortable shoe should suffice.

Next tip: schedule the trip so that the following day is a 'beach day'. That is, will put no demands on your body whatsoever. Such as can be had lying in the sun, or in the office.

The Trials

Expect to get very wet as well as dirty. Wrap up you camera, etc., well. Having said that, 9 times out of 10 I've got to the Lake to find it dry (the weather, not the lake). Think also of having a change of clothes for after the hike.

Go with as many people as possible! This theory suggests that with a large group there will be others with your particular physical attributes (e.g. out of condition, knackered). I have been on trips where people have literally broken down in tears and said they cannot go any further. With a big group you won't feel so bad when you do that.

The Tribulations

While large groups have their advantages, I remember one occasion when an individual, in the middle of the pack, was just far away enough from the people in front and behind not to see when he made a wrong turning. When the two groups finally converged at The Lake itself, the first question was 'Where's X?'. I was none too pleased to have to turn around straight away to find our errant sheep. He had the good sense to find his way back onto the trail and just stay put. He never did see The Lake.

A major innovation a few years ago was the introduction of wooden steps along a large part of the track. However, if the spacing is anything to go by, built by dwarfs in the middle of the night. All credit though to the Foresty Division who maintain this trail. There are points however where the track is indistinct, or takes a sharp turn up a hill when you least expect it to.

Part I: Titou Gorge to Breakfast River

Time taken: Approx 1 hour

The starting point for the trail is Titou Gorge (1,690ft). The path climbs steadily for about 45 minutes, and there are one or two points early on where you can (carefully) look down on the Gorge. This is perhaps the muddiest part of the hike, and on the way back seems to go on forever! As you descend to the Breakfast River there is a good viewpoint looking up the river.

Part II: Breakfast River to the top of the Valley of Desolation

This is where the going gets tough! From the river it's steeply uphill to about 2,500ft, then a steady SE climb along the ridge to the top (3,168ft) where's there's a clearing and a good point to stop and rest. It can provide spectacular 360° views... or it can be cold, misty and miserable. Coming back it at least represents the epitome of the 'it's all downhill from here' attitidue (although it's not). The trail goes onwards for about 20 minutes to the top of the Valley of Desolation. As you descend the ridge, look on the left for your first views of the steam rising from The Lake.

Part III: The Valley of Desolation to The Lake

From the ridge, the trail descends steeply into The Valley of Desolation, and the climb down is hard enough, until one does it on the way back!

The Valley is not covered by an ice-thin crust that can crack open and devour the unsuspecting (although one should certainly explore it with caution). It is perhaps better than The Lake, because you can scamper around and see all the different colours you never imagined water could be. A kind of interactive vulcanism lesson.

Look also for the Fumarole Vegetation - the only kind of vegetation that can survive in this environment!

At the bottom of the Valley the trail becomes vague, crossing and recrossing the stream, so be careful.

There are several places where you can bathe in the soothing warm waters of the stream, but don't spend too much time soaking - you don't want your muscles to become all mushy for the long hard hike back afterwards!

From the Valley it's generally uphill to a point where one can look down on another area of 'Desolation'. The Lake is now just 15 minutes away!

Part IV: The Lake

Elevation: 2,640ft

On arrival at the Lake, go to the visitors centre or join the shortest queue at the McDonalds. Only kidding! Part of the attraction is that there's absolutely nothing there except the lake. And perhaps a few other weary, muddy, dishevelled fellow lake-onauts just like you.

Please exercise extreme caution at the lake: the sides are steep and though the hill above the lake offers the best views, the rocks are often very slippy.

The Way Home

Then before you know it, you're on The Return Journey. And isn't it funny how one no longer cares about getting muddy?

Think only of the hot meal that may await you at the end of the journey, or of the hot waters at Titou Gorge: when you arrive back from the walk you can do all the frolicking you want there, if you've energy left. Additionally, you can quaff a beer and rest your weary body at Roxy's in Laudat (a good base for your Boiling Lake trip).

Congratulations - you did it! Now buy the T-shirt!

volc_haz7lge.jpg

boiling_lake.jpg

boiling_lake.jpg

boiling%20lake2.jpg

Pholter,do you know (or anyone else for that matter) if Reynold does the arial tram? I really want to do this! I emailed him and he said "yes,if we have time". Is that normally something that he would NOT do? I dont know how long it takes,but I wouldnt think that long.Nor do I know if its out of the way to the sites he goes...but..Id rather do that than do any swimming or getting into any of those pools...I somehow dont think they are going to make me even one day younger:)

Im more about the scenery,and I love flowers,plants and trees! Im interested in seeing the waterfalls and getting a quick shot of them,but not swimming..

I wonder if I need to customize my trip with him (if he does that),or someone else.Its just my hubby and myself so he would probably want to fill his van with others that just might want to swim...What do you think?

Thanks,Dot

Pholter,do you know (or anyone else for that matter) if Reynold does the arial tram? I really want to do this! I emailed him and he said "yes,if we have time". Is that normally something that he would NOT do? I dont know how long it takes,but I wouldnt think that long.Nor do I know if its out of the way to the sites he goes...but..Id rather do that than do any swimming or getting into any of those pools...I somehow dont think they are going to make me even one day younger:)

Im more about the scenery,and I love flowers,plants and trees! Im interested in seeing the waterfalls and getting a quick shot of them,but not swimming..

I wonder if I need to customize my trip with him (if he does that),or someone else.Its just my hubby and myself so he would probably want to fill his van with others that just might want to swim...What do you think?

Thanks,Dot

Hmmmm.... The Aeral Tram is not in his regular tour and I believe it takes 90 minutes to do that + drive time. It's possible to fit it in if your tour bus/van leaves about 1 hour earlier and comes back an hour later, but that's pushing it. He may want to try to do a different tour with just your group (You and Hubby and maybe others that day that are interested) so you can get to see and experience that along with the other highlights and just not spend so much time at the Emerald Pool, etc.

Are you in a Roll Call on these boards now?? If you found a group of 8-10 or so people to do the same thing, I'm sure the price would stay close to the same besides entrance fees to the Tram.

We didn't swim btw, but lots of others enjoyed that...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback.I didnt realize the tram would be so far away.I guess I need to decide what I want...

Ive joined the roll call,but so far,not many people.Maybe it will pick up soon.Thanks again,Dot

Archived