Should we go with Beno or Reyno?

sparkysfriends

I just got back from my Crown Princess cruise and I had booked a private tour with Reyno. As it turns out there were 2 ships in port the day we visited and #1 we didn't dock at the normal cruise ship dock and #2 there was a shortage of taxi/vans (apparently Reyno had to turn away others who he probably could have made more money but he wanted to honor our booking). We arrived at the appointed time where all the non-Princess tours were congregating and I mentioned Reyno's name and a fellow came over and handed me his cell phone. He had Reyno on the phone who explained that he had to take a tour out from the other cruise ship dock and that we should go with the the guide he sent over. There was so confusion about what exactly we were going to see. Reyno left it very open in his email whereas the guide explained that it is geographically impossible to see so much in one day. He also seemed to want more money if we wanted to go anywhere other than the 3 points of interest Reyno apparently directed him to take us. Well, it all worked out in the end. We got to see the most important things we wanted and it gets exhausting climbing up from the Emerald Pool and crossing the rocky beach to get to the Champagne Reef for snorkeling. So we ended the tour by stopping at a nice roadside cafe overlooking the water to enjoy a few cold beers (Kubuli... try it... you'll like it) and enjoy the shade and the spectacular view.

Cruise pup... we were also on the Crown Princess and was sent to another driver rather than Reyno himself... we didn't get to go Champagne Reef for snorkeling nor stop over at any roadside cafe or any spectacular view!! Is the Champagne reef at the bottom of the Emerald Pool? We didn't hear or understand our bus driver...maybe we missed hearing that from the driver.

You guys didn't get to see Mr. Nice??? Gee, that was very enjoyable!! Hope you didn't miss it!! Although we miss the candy making part...we were too early..but we still had a good time.

Below is a re-post from another thread:

Just came back from Dominica...we booked with Reyno and he reassured that we would be with him personally...he even said that as we walked to one of his many buses and said he would be back once he settle the other tour. After a few minutes he got back and said he must go with the other tour to pick up additional people on another ship...so unfortunately we went without him or anyone else as a tour guide. Reyno met us at the gate and his very friendly and personabe guy.

The driver name was Landon or something..hardly could hear or understand him from the mid seats on the bus. The ride to the sites, MR. Nice, Emerald Pool and Tralfagar Falls was unevenful and was a sleeper.

The country itself was beautiful. Also the air-conditioner on the bus died during most of the trip and miraculously worked again near the end of the tour. YES. it was hot hot hot!

Would I again book a tour with Reynos? NO! I do not want to be duped again with a person that does not keep his word!!!

Sorry for the posting for those who are pro-Reynos. Unfortunately, we didn't experience the awesome experience as we read or research on this board.

Stillfloatin' ...it's funny that you made that statement...The first thought that came to my mind was Beno or Fredos, then I saw a thread on that question..lol

I guess the next time around, I will go with either Beno or Fredos..we missed so much on our tour with Reyno's subcontractor that redoing a tour would be a new experience for us!

Sure wish you could have had a different experience. :( Dominica is just so amazingly diverse and beautiful and it's best seen with a knowledgeable and personable guide. Try Beno next time and you'll have such a fantastic and completely different adventure! :D

Is the Champagne reef at the bottom of the Emerald Pool?

Not at all. The Champagne Reef is located in the Caribbean Sea about 5 miles south or Roseau. If you like snorkeling this is probably one of the best places ever to go snorkeling. But at this point in time I suggest going there on a boat excursion because getting there by land is no mean task. We didn't stop at Mr. Nice. I was going to ask about it but I don't think time allowed for it since we got a late start in the a.m. I think if we started touring around 8:30 a.m it would have allowed for more stops but, hey, we wanted a late morning. It's understandable that Reyno contracts out his work to others but he has to organize that better or he will lose business.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear of the ill-fated Crown Princess stop in Dominica, but my family, friends and I just had a great time with Reyno Tours (Renold Alcendor) last week. Reyold told us that his subcontracted driver on the Princess tour had a faulty wire which caused the AC to go in and out intermittently. He actually carries that bad wire with him now, and showed us, as he feels very bad about the Crown Princess tour that he was unable to personally conduct.

We arrived Nov 13th on the Maasdam, and Reyold was there himself to greet us outside the fenced area at the port. Reynold himself was our driver, and he brought along Rosalind, a tour guide in training. Dominica is breathtaking, and we truly enjoyed the experience. We were surprised how much ground the tour covered! As we started out from Roseau, the weather was quite warm, so the AC was very welcome. However, as the tour van drove into higher and higher elevations, the 8 of us in the van actually asked if the AC could be turned off, as the rainforest air is very cool, and we could take pics out the open windows each time we pulled off at scenic vistas. It's funny, but we didn't need (or want) AC until returning to town late that afternoon because the mountain air was so cool.

We saw several mountain and cliff vistas, the river where the river tubing excursions visit, a coconut plantation, banana farms, had a chance to touch the hot volcanic black sand that surrounds the island. Each site was narrated beautifully by Rosalind and Reynold, and we learned about all kinds or plantlife, like lemongrass, castor beans, nutmeg, cacao, pineapples, breadfruit, etc. We also saw the flywing plant and the "*****" tree. We also saw the Colgate Palmolive factory, which is located on Dominica for the cocoa butter.

Mr. Nice welcomed us all at "Mr. Nice's It's Nice to Be Nice" fruit stand. He had fresh coconut candy prepared for us, and was cooking another batch too. The fruit was laid out on a table, and was the most flavorful and juicy fruit you can imagine. He had us also try green bananas with flaked fish (this did not seem like a good combination, but it really works!)

We loved the Emerald Pool; a quick hike through the rainforest leads you to a gorgeous waterfall and pool surrounded by jungle. We had brought our swimsuits and towels, so we were able to swim in the pool, which was amazing. Looking up through the forest at the waterfall and high cliffs with dangling roots and vines was dizzying. On the exit path, we stopped to view the Atlantic, and then went to the entrance area for the snackbar, facilities, and local vendors. There we split a Kubuli beer (try these!) and our friends shopped for Carib baskets. We continued our trek by van, telling jokes, and Reynold and Rosalind sang the Dominican national anthem for us. We made several stops for photo ops, learning more about the Dominican culture and history, and even stopped for extra batteries for Dad's camera.

Trafalgar Falls was impressive - twin falls cascaded down from volcanic cliffs. There was a hot spring pool to swim in here, which was like a natural jacuzzi. After some rock climbing and great photo ops, we paused at The Bullfinch snack bar for another round of Kubulis. The flowers in this area are sensational, and we saw one of every shade.

We honestly thought the tour was over at this point, but Renold took us to the Botanical Gardens after the Falls. Amazing plant specimens, plus the famous crushed school bus which was destroyed in a hurricane. I was surprised that the tree that fell on the bus is very much alive and well. We finished up at a roadside scenic vista, with our ship way down below in the harbor as the sun was setting. Gorgeous. All day, we were away from the crowds; Reynold's timing kept us on our own private tour, away from the masses. Thanks to Renold and Rosalind, we had a very memorable and educational tour experience, and I would highly recommend them. :)

Holly & "Hurricane" David

Holly-

This is just the tour I remember with Reynold (Reyno Tours) when I sailed the Destiny... What a fantastic day!! :) So glad to hear how much you enjoyed him and the beautiful island.

This is a great review with alot of detail- you might consider starting a separate thread as well. I know I would appreciate that if I were trying to figure out what to do on an island...

Awesome! :)

SandRaven, I tend to get car sick if driving on very winding roads. I had a terrible time on an island tour of St Lucia due to this fact. I have read that this is common in St Lucia but was wondering if anyone in your group had any trouble in Dominica or what your opinion of the road situation would be? Or if anyone else reads this and has any input I'd greatly appreciate your help! Thanks!

The roads are narrow and twist and turn a lot so be sure to tell your driver to take it slow and stop frequently so you can enjoy your day without getting sick. Another good reason to stay away from large ship tours where you cannot get this type of individual service. That's why we chose Beno two years ago, and why we're going with him again this coming March. Not only did he stop whenever we wanted him to, he also stopped frequently to point out special areas/plants, etc. And he drove slowly and SAFELY!!

Stick with one of the recommended drivers like Beno and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info Stillfloatin! I just realized I think that we will be on the same cruise as you in March. I recognize your screen name from the rollcall thread although I have yet to post on that thread yet. I have booked the cruise but am still awaiting the official approval for time off of work before I jinx myself and have to start planning all over again. Usually it's not too much of a problem to get time off. Anyways, you mentioned you already booked with Beno for your group. If my husband and I decide to book, will there still be room or have you booked a private tour with him? How many does he put in a van? Where do you plan to go on the tour with him? Do you guys go snorkeling as part of the tour or after as well? Thanks again! Michele

Michele:

Hope you get the ok for your vacation! As to Beno, we've booked a private tour with him and 6 of us. However, he has really great drivers who also work for him that have received rave reviews from other cruisers so you will have a great time no matter who drives you. If you book through Beno, you will be guaranteed very personal service. He has worked hard to build his reputation and you can be assured, he has been very careful in selecting his alternate drivers when he's not available. All of them are licensed and certified, something that cannot not be said for many of the other tour drivers you will encounter off the ship.

As to pricing, it depends on how many people are on your tour. If you are interested in splitting costs, he can put together a group if others are interested.

PS: when you've gotten the ok for your vacation, be sure to jump onboard the roll-call!

Hi Triplover,

As for that hair-raising, nauseous rollercoaster feel that one experiences in the mountainous roads of St Lucia and Tortola, we actually never felt this way on Dominica. Reynold drove very slowly on the mountainous roads, which was much appreciated, and we made frequent stops. Dominica's roads didn't have as many severe vertical dropoffs that you'd see in St Lucia, either.

Just off the "Ryndam" on Friday & we had the same wonderful tour on Nov. 18th with Reyno & Rosalind that SandRaven had....We previously made arrangements with Reyno for a private tour for four of us with him personally (not another driver)..He met us at the dock promptly at 0800 & along with Rosalind who was our tour guide, took us in an Air conditioned van to the same sights..Reyno did the driving & Rosalind, gave us a history of the Island & explained the sights..I am hard of hearing & sat right next to Rosalind who was very knowledgeable..

We were pleasantly surprised with our tour & visited, all the same sights described so well by Sand Raven..Trafalga Falls, Mr. Nice, & the Emerald pool, the crushed school bus as well as some many other sights along the way.As we had previously requested he deposited us back at the dock at 12:30..My DH is a Master Gardener with the county here & we especially enjoyed learning about the different plants which grow in Dominica..Loved the smell of the lemon grass..DH wanted to get a sample of the ***** tree to sell to friends..Rosalind explained that it is the bark that is used as the aphrodisiac but DH could not import it...Oh well he'll just have to try another business venture..LOL

On our visit to Mr. Nice DH was shown how to crack open the coconuts, that continue to fall off of our trees..He is about to install a large stake in our yard to crack them open..We too sampled many different goodies at his stand..

Unfortunately because our physical limitations we did not climb down to see the emerald pool, as we knew that the climb back up would probably do us in...However, it was a wonderful tour of the beautiful Island of Dominica...Both Rosalind & Reyno were very knowledgeable & full of fun..We thoroughly enjoyed our time with them & would definitely recommend Reyno to you..

You can e-mail him directly at: reynotours@hotmail.com to negotiate a price..

Enjoy your cruise & your tour of the beautiful Island of Dominica...Betty

Hi, we toured with Beno and were very pleased. Our van had 8 cruisers with Beno and Brandon on board. We stopped at the Emerald Pool which we arrived at early and it was very uncrowded; by the time we left many other vans were in the parking lot. We also went to Mr. Nice's which was alot of fun. He does now have the spike to use to for the coconuts. He served up co coa, pineapple, grapefruit, and coconut. Then we went to Trafalgar falls, the Botanical Garden and an overlook of Roseau. we really enjoyed the tour.

One thing to consider is air conditioning. I believe Beno's van may have ac but we did not use it. the temp seemed to stay around 80 degrees. I was very happy we did not use the ac; we were cool from the breeze from the windows; we could hear birds sing and locals chatting; and we could smell the lemon grass and flowers. But if you need ac, you should check that your tour will have it. I noticed that the tours through the ship all were buttoned up with the windows closed and the ac on.

have a great trip!

The price I was quoted from Beno was $40 per person plus the $2.00 entrance fees to 2 sites. I emailed him and he promptly replied. You may pay less per person if you have a group of more than four. I think he may charge a total of $160 for a group. I have reserved with him for my DH and myself for April 16, 2007. We don't have a group and hope to have a few others join us.

Hope this info helps.

The price I was quoted from Beno was $40 per person plus the $2.00 entrance fees to 2 sites. I emailed him and he promptly replied. You may pay less per person if you have a group of more than four. I think he may charge a total of $160 for a group. I have reserved with him for my DH and myself for April 16, 2007. We don't have a group and hope to have a few others join us.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks Much!

Just off the "Ryndam" on Friday & we had the same wonderful tour on Nov. 18th with Reyno & Rosalind that SandRaven had....We previously made arrangements with Reyno for a private tour for four of us with him personally (not another driver)..He met us at the dock promptly at 0800 & along with Rosalind who was our tour guide, took us in an Air conditioned van to the same sights..Reyno did the driving & Rosalind, gave us a history of the Island & explained the sights..I am hard of hearing & sat right next to Rosalind who was very knowledgeable..

We were pleasantly surprised with our tour & visited, all the same sights described so well by Sand Raven..Trafalga Falls, Mr. Nice, & the Emerald pool, the crushed school bus as well as some many other sights along the way.As we had previously requested he deposited us back at the dock at 12:30..My DH is a Master Gardener with the county here & we especially enjoyed learning about the different plants which grow in Dominica..Loved the smell of the lemon grass..DH wanted to get a sample of the ***** tree to sell to friends..Rosalind explained that it is the bark that is used as the aphrodisiac but DH could not import it...Oh well he'll just have to try another business venture..LOL

On our visit to Mr. Nice DH was shown how to crack open the coconuts, that continue to fall off of our trees..He is about to install a large stake in our yard to crack them open..We too sampled many different goodies at his stand..

Unfortunately because our physical limitations we did not climb down to see the emerald pool, as we knew that the climb back up would probably do us in...However, it was a wonderful tour of the beautiful Island of Dominica...Both Rosalind & Reyno were very knowledgeable & full of fun..We thoroughly enjoyed our time with them & would definitely recommend Reyno to you..

You can e-mail him directly at: reynotours@hotmail.com to negotiate a price..

Enjoy your cruise & your tour of the beautiful Island of Dominica...Betty

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We agree completely!!

On 11/26, we toured in a van with 8 of us just off the Spirit. There were 4 adults and 4 kids in our party.

We had a fantastic 5 hour tour with Renyo.:) His driver David and tour guide, Rosalyn, took us safely around the island in an air conditioned van. Rosalyn gave the kids a wonderful history lesson about the island which they were able to share with their class!! Wonderful and hands on knowledge!!:o

We saw everything we wanted and more! We visited the Emerald Pool, Mr. Nice, Traf. Falls, etc. Basically, Renyo will do any tour you ask and accomodate your needs and no rush at all.

He and his staff were great, we felt very secure and the island was beautiful and if we go back, we would do the same tour again with RENYO!!:o

MONTY

We were also on the 11/26 tour with driver David and tour guide Rosalind. Rosalind was very knowledgeable and was able to answer all our questions about the island. The tour overall was excellent and a good value. I recommend highly! fyi,you may want to bring a poncho or umbrella as you will probably be in a rain forest for some of the tour. Thanks Reyno! - Nancy

Good to hear,Im booked with Reyno in Feb! And,looking forward to it very much.I just found out from another cruiser that hes a musician,and loves to wear hats when he performs,so we are bringing him a hat from "Texas"! He sounds like such a nice guy! Dot

Good to hear,Im booked with Reyno in Feb! And,looking forward to it very much.I just found out from another cruiser that hes a musician,and loves to wear hats when he performs,so we are bringing him a hat from "Texas"! He sounds like such a nice guy! Dot

Yes, he is a musician and played in New York City over Labor Day this year. It was a shame we couldn't get out there to see him.... Also, I know it may not be completely appropriate, but I have to give him a shout out because I forgot to tell him "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! " I believe it was Thursday.

I bet he'll love the hat DALSAL :)

:) Wow, we did not know this about Renyo. Know wonder he is so friendly and helpful!!!

Maybe we will get to see him perform in NY sometime.

In any event, we will certainly be back to Dominica and go with Renyo; he was great!!

Perhaps he will perform then!:o

Archived